AuthorTopic: [WIP]Help the noob!  (Read 4712 times)

Offline NoSiZe

• View Profile

[WIP]Help the noob!

on: June 27, 2008, 10:10:51 am
Hi i'm new and rookie in pixel art

C and C are very wellcome.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:17:39 am by NoSiZe »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Help the noob!

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:43:46 pm
Okay, here's a good tip... when doing pixel art, it's best to work with a mid-tone grey background.
Problem with white is that it'll make your colors look darker than they actually are, and strains your eyes to focus extra hard to look past the blindind white to focus on the details.
I also wouldn't recommend working on black or colored backgrounds too unless they're actually part of the picture.
If it's just a sprite you're working on and will be placing it onto a desgined background later, definetly work on a mid-tone grey first.

As for your artwork, not too bad. The shoulders are a little too high. The lower half of the body is too small for the upper half.
Fire is generally mainly orange and yellow. Some red in there too if it's a big fire. So I suggest you change your fire pallette.
The inside of the coat would work best with the darkest blue tone. And add a mouth to the face.
The sprite overall could use some touching up here and there.

Also I noticed that there's a bit of saturated blue on the right side of the coat (our right) which seems to have accidently got onto your sprite.

With all that said, the look of the character is good otherwise.  :)

Offline NoSiZe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:03 pm
Tnks for the reply ;D

i make few changes but i got to work more
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:27:40 pm by NoSiZe »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:30:26 am
i'd say what disturb me the most is the shape of his right arm (which looks more like an arm of a latex figurine than of someone real) and the size of his hands (that are typically almost as big as your face).

If you can fix that and e.g. give the cape's arm the look that it's indeed made of cloth, a bit too large and bent to adapt to character's possition, you could get something fairly interesting.

Offline NoSiZe

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:31:13 am
some update (arm, hand, heigth, shirt collar )  and a new character.
Is the mage pose pretty strange ?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:54:03 am
the pose is better, but not quite right. maybe the proportions are not quite okay or maybe it comes from the lack of a real neck ... i don't quite know. Okay, he's got his arm angled, but you drew him like if he was forced to bend his elbow in the plane of his torso (e.g. like if it was papercut and wasn't allow to have the elbow moving backwards). You may want to work from a reference for the next one ...

btw, there's another thing that you could improve: the choice of colours. I'll leave it to real professionnals here to suggest alternate colours, but if you search the forum for "straight ramps", you'll see what i mean. You pick virtually only saturated colours, create dark and lighter shades by just acting on "value" (rather than using hue-shifting which usually gives more interesting results) and shade metal and cloth the same way.

Offline NoSiZe

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:13:28 am
umm even seeing post i think that i don't understand what exactly you intend for "straight ramps" can anyone link a tutorial or example or post that explain it.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:14 pm
<-- vs -->

well, my former treetrumps on the left uses "straight ramps", that is, a raster of colours that is built picking one hue/saturation and just creating a smooth raster between high-lightness, mid-lightness, low-lightness there. Compartively, the picture on the right uses a browns rasters that starts with yellows and ends with dark reds

I don't know if this featured post with re-vamping of the bombsquid would classify as a tutorial, but it shows you the idea: <-- vs --> )

leftmost bomb is all greys where it is grey, and all blue where it is blue. rightmost bomb instead has yellowish highlights and blueish shadows. Give it a try...

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:38:05 am
Hm. only complaint i can really think of off the top of my head is that neither cahracter seems to have a pelvis.

Offline NoSiZe

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:42 pm
ummi find hard create a palette like yours with paint. i will retry but maybe will be more easy with Ps.

tnk. Corsair  for your 's complaint  ;D i will find a solution soon (when i started i would make the mage 's shirt long that cover his pelvis. But now the mage has some propotions problems). i will edit this post for update.

(I hope u understand what i meen. sry but i'm italian)