AuthorTopic: Isometric Tree Set  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Isometric Tree Set

on: December 16, 2005, 01:40:12 am
About a month ago I got a PM from a guy who may or may not have been ElectricFox, the php web developer from electricfox.com.  He asked me to draw some iso trees for him.  I asked him a few questions about the project, but he never got back to me.  So I just started them anyway.  He originally asked for 10 trees, but I only got to 6 before I got fed up with the fact that I had as of yet recieved no response and left it at that.

However, I am mostly happy with the results that I got.  Maybe someday I will finish or expand this, I don't know.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Re: Isometric Tree Set

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:14:39 am
Well, I don't know that you can call them 6 trees.. more like 3 and a sapling, but they are very nice indeed. Trying to do individual leaves like that is pretty darn difficult to look right, but you've just made it look simple there (not that you said how long they took) I haven't tried that style for ages, but you've inspired me to have another go next time I need a tree.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 01:40:33 pm
Oh no, not more Swedes...

Lovely tree, however. I love how you made the individual leaves. What's up with the backlighting, though? I don't think I've ever seen backlit isometrics before.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:04:29 pm
wow, i don't comment on much, but I have to admit I love trees, and I love pixeling them. I love your color choice, and everything looks fantastic. My only gripe is the lack of biodiversity and depth of biodiversity in your tree. I'd say to add another branch, that goes back behind the tree, and make the shades of greens darker than the ones in front, this will give it more depth, and make it feel more robust. Looking at your tree right now it kind of goes up, and branches out, much like a human figure:

--- |
   '|----'
    |
    |

kind of like that crappy ascii.

you're using X and Y co-ordinates, try using the Z and you'll find suddenly your tree has more depth and is more robust. What I mean by biodiversity is the things on and around your tree, weeds, little buds on your tree, birds, whatever. Another thing you can do is change some of the leaves to be lighter and darker than others in a dramatic way, look outside at any trees around you, you'll find that not all the leaves are the exact same color and have the same shading, this chaos in nature makes everything look natural.

Peace!
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:35:01 pm
Oh no, not more Swedes...

Lovely tree, however. I love how you made the individual leaves. What's up with the backlighting, though? I don't think I've ever seen backlit isometrics before.
I'm actually American, I just chose a funky Swedish name.  The backlighting wasn't really a choice, it just happened that way.  Trees can handle backlighting better than iso buildings.
Well, I don't know that you can call them 6 trees.. more like 3 and a sapling,
Whoops, you're right.  I should have called them "steps."
try using the Z
Wow, great point.  Thanks, I will definitely pay more attention to that in the future.

Thanks all for your comments.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 04:25:28 pm
Whaa? You're NOT Swedish?!

wtf

That's like.. I mean... That's not a funky name! It's a stupid name!