AuthorTopic: The Jemko  (Read 3696 times)

Offline hiddddde

• View Profile

The Jemko

on: July 08, 2008, 01:15:26 pm
It's a long while ago that I finished a pixel art.
This time I'm gonna try to make a Jemko Hotel.
Don't know why the name Jemko but that doesn't matter.

As you can see I haven't got a patern on the grass/rock and water. That's because I don't know what kinda style the best is for Isometric art.
I tried put a gradient on the hotel too, but don't know if it's good xD

But yea..
Hofully u guys got some C&C

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: The Jemko

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:22:56 pm
there's really no need for dithering when the colors you're using to dither are so close together; the shading would be more apparent if you were to ditch the dithering - and increase the contrast between the colors you're using by a bit. when it's zoomed out i can barely tell there's any shading at all.

as far as rocks, water and grass go,i guess i should probably say something but i'm still working with those myself so there's not much i could offer in regards to them.

Offline hiddddde

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:30:09 pm
Update*:

I tried to look at some refferences for water but it still didn't work.
And I tried to make it more evening.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:47:56 pm
Why don't you have a reflection for the doors, why are there windows reflected where blue wall would be? Why are there 14 rows of reflected windows, but only 13 rows of windows on the building itself? Why aren't the railings for the parkade/dock reflected on the ground as well?

How many people can fit in the building, and how many people can actually get there?

- It looks like there's docking space for 2 to 8 boats, depending on size, but there are hundreds of windows and presumably hundreds of rooms.

Where are the exterior lights?

- If it's evening, it would be good to have some lights around, so the boats can see the hotel and dock, and the people at the hotel can wander around in some light.

I think you'd benefit from thinking logically about your hotel, as if you were actually going to build it! Right now, the concept is very cool, but it looks like an office building on a lake with only one door and no roads going to it. I imagine you mean for it to be a resort/luxury hotel, so I'd do a bit more to show that, such as showing what people could DO at this hotel (There could be a very nice restaurant on the dock, a few trails going through the forests behind the hotels, and a beach somewhere for the clients to stay at).

Also think about how people can get places. What would happen, for example, if a boat was too short for the people on that boat to actually reach the dock? They wouldn't be able to get onto it, so I'd suggest a ladder or eighteen to help people actually board the dock. Also, the roof of the building looks like it'd have a spectacular view. Wouldn't it be good if people could get up there to take a look around and relax? If they can get up there, you should also think about their safety, so railings would be a necessity, at the very least. There could even be a pool up there, though that's a bit clichee.

In short, there's plenty of places you could go with this. I suggest building on to the concept itself before you worry too much about how the water will look and whether or not it appears to be evening or daytime :)

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:56 am
Might I add that the reflection might not always be like that? Could be different depending on certain conditions too. (Though take this for the unknowledgeable say.)

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:38:11 pm
The angles and curves look jagged and messed up, they could use a bit of cleaning. And I think it would look good with a little reflection in the water too, since it seems like very calm and clear water.
Maybe you should make a blue transparent over the lower parts of the support things in the water.