AuthorTopic: Handmade Anti-Aliasing  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Danilux

• View Profile

Handmade Anti-Aliasing

on: July 07, 2008, 08:17:53 am
Hi, i'm learning how to make pixel art as well as 16 and 32 px icons, and antialiasing is important at this sizes, i have been investigating but i haven been able to find a tutorial or a guide to messure or calculate how to make the antialiasing, i mean for example how many grays should i paint when doing a black circle on a white background, how many many different grays should i use, how do i know where to place them, For example like in the picture below, there is not a standard placement if you will.

If you know of a tutorial that would be great, sorry if i that didn't make much sense my english is not very good.

Thanks in advanced guys.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:22:00 am by Danilux »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Handmade Anti-Aliasing

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:28 am
my general suggestion would be "your eyes will tell you". Honnestly, i'd say on this specific image, you're *way* overdoing it. 2 intermediates shades of grey would probably be way sufficient. Instead, save your effort for inner AA (e.g. darker shades of blue as you approach your black outline, etc.)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:27 am
There's no set standard. It depends on what kind of smoothness or sharpness you're trying to convey, what colors you have to work with. Study how the computer does it in autoAA and then reconcile the techniques you learn with how a human being would do it with more controlled means. There's no set formula about how you should AA all over a whole piece.

Offline Danilux

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:55:12 am
Thanks for the help guys.