AuthorTopic: Tabletennis  (Read 5761 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Tabletennis

on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:03 pm
Yeah graphics for a little tabletennis game.

Was actually finished several weeks ago, dont know why it didnt get posted here to now.
Oh well, animations as always not great but they do the job.
Had more fun with the background anyway.

edit:included mockup
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:47:38 pm by vierbit »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Tabletennis

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:19:30 pm
looks cool.. is this for a real game?
if so, it mustve been fun to throw in those creative touches in the background. some companies would probably stay away from such things.. but in my opinion i really think it makes it look more interesting

Offline missingno

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:51 pm
Yeah, the background is awesome. I love those stone floor tules under the table. There's a lot of character in there.

How do the characters work? I mean it's obvious for the bottom character but what about the one on the top? Would it just be flipped upside-down? It seems like it would look awkward.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:09 pm
@Alex
Yeah it is indeed for a real game.
Personally i never had problems with trowing in my own styles/details, but I know what you mean.
There are many games out there with lack of style. Im also not a fan of simple flatshading with large areas consist of one color,
if I have the time time i like to incorporate some details.

@missingno
Youre right, one character would be simply mirrored verticaly, you are also right that it looks indeed akward.
I post an mockup later, so everyone can see the akwardness. :-\
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:48:08 pm by vierbit »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:56:32 am
My critique, or question, perhaps, is for the character designs, themselves: Did the lead designer/producer want the characters to be kinda' buff and bulky? Both the male and lady seem kinda, body builder-like(sorry, but Helm posted some frightening body builder pics on the ot creative art thread, and my mind is visually scarred on the subject). I'm guessing your part is done for the game, so changing it now, would be worthless, but I've always imagined most table, and table pong players to be kinda thin, or lacking in the bulky muscle department...could be wrong though..
my back hurts...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:34:22 am
wow. you certainly mastered the style that bitmap brothers one practiced on the Amiga ... Though i'm wondering whether that kind of "post-apocalyptic" shading actually suits a pong game.

(or maybe that's just me that gets the feeling that this kind of shading techniques suggests war and nuclear fallouts because i've spent too much time on speedball/chaos engine ?)

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:41:05 pm
look at good - I like colours and net, but table is like windows /or maybe she is windows but than you can't see shadows like this/, because first - white lines have too dark colours, second because - you put outline which make lines with shadow or thikness and to look like they aren't part of the table and third because light parts are only near to the frame ...
=====================
:) GDGB :)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:13:36 pm
@B.O.B
No, there wasn´t anyone saying how the players have to look like. While they are surely not on the skinny side,
I dont think there overly buff.

@PypeBros
Actually i dont find it very similar to the bitmap brothers style. But yeah, if "post apocalyptic" is a right theme for a
ping pong game is debatable.

@zi
If you mean that the stripes looks they are not a part of the table. That was a stylistic choice,
I found it simply more interresting that way.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:15:08 pm by vierbit »

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:32 pm
table must look at flat ... Yep stripes looks like they are not a part of the table, in first look they are nice but that stripes make table to look poor for me ... also put that stripes not only in the end and in the center of the table ... white lines must be thin because now they are thick like the ball.

=====================
:) GDGB :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:49:13 am
Erhm. Imho, the guys and the table do not fit together in that mockup (wrong perspectives). Especially flipping the lady give the odd feeling that they're playing almost horizontally :P

Since all we see from the net is a straight line, all we should see from the players would be shoulders and head (seen from the top).

edit: and, oh, yes. I double-checked bitmap brothers art, it's definitely not having that look. Then it's something-else-on-amiga-whose-names-remains-hidden-in-my-mind i guess ... Anyway, your BG roxx!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:57:47 am by PypeBros »