AuthorTopic: The Beatles Inspiration, some frustration to pixel it right  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.
Hi all,
After listening to "She came through the bathroom window" I did this simple sketch

I don't know if the resolution I chose is right, even if I know that depends on how much detail I want to show.
Secondly there's another problem: I thought that using vivid colors is good for this image, at least for the characters, and leaving a greysh background will knock them out.

The main problem that made me stop in pixeling it was that I see good way to blend the colors all together:

so I tried to move to monochrome but still I can't go anywhere even in this direction

I'm a little bit frustrated, but still I can't find the right approach to color it right.
First of all: should I work on full colors areas and then shape the characters, or should I start from one and then move on?
This is my big problem with it. I know there's no correct way, but at least there should be a way to approach these complex (imho) images.

any help will be greatly appreciated  :D
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline Pixelfish

• View Profile

Re: The Beatles Inspiration, some frustration to pixel it right

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:43:42 pm
Be careful not to start shading in the line stage, the piece is going to start having a good deal of pillow-shading problems, especially from the monochrome version. I would get the piece down to the two-color stage before you shade anything, and be sure not to use your drawing to shade the piece, it can only deceive you.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:37:13 pm
thanks Pixelfish for the hint. This is one of the great faults I've stepped in since I'm pixeling my own pencil-drawings

there's a SMALL update:

here's the small progress

Now I'm thinking about light sources and shadows.
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:53:07 pm
You're going in the wrong direction. You already have beautiful lines, and you're just going to leave them dead in a ditch somewhere to rot?

Get the lines to something more suitable for pixel art first....if you don't have Photoshop or the like, this can be pretty difficult unfortunately.
But essentially, get it as black and white as possible....the less grey the better.

Then, fill in everything with the basic color. Don't worry about lighting or shading or dithering or anything like that. Don't go overboard with the amount of colors. If you use more then about ten colors, I'd start to worry. Just be bold and messy, and cover all the white.

When everything is fleshed out, you can pick a light source and start to sculpt form with lights and dark.

From here, you can start to refine and polish. This is where you'd start to use more pixel-specific techniques like dithering and antialiasing.

That's just how I would attack this....it isn't an instructional rulebook, but rather just guidelines.  And remember, post your progress and we'll help you along the way. ^_^  Hopefully this is helpful.

The main point is to not be worried about the details until you're much farther along.

Good luck.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:03:34 am
sorry for the randomness... but if you added sparkles it could be "lucy in the sky with diamonds came in through the bathroom window" :P