AuthorTopic: Rainbow World entrance  (Read 7439 times)

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Re: Rainbow World entrance

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:48 am
The metal tiles are perfectly square, as though they are being seen from a top-down perspective, while everything else is seen from a more slanted view. I think that you should begin by fixing this.

There is no consistency between the shading and outlines between the different parts of this image. This should be one of the first things that you fix because the more detail you put into something, the harder it is to change its basic style. I'm going to guess from the image and the comments that you have a habit of learning how do draw different things from different sources and then emulating their styles on those objects. Learning from example is good, but you have to put your own twist on it and form your own style to tie it all together. Don't just learn how to draw a particular object, learn why the artists have drawn them that way and try to apply these rules to other things.

The branches on the tree in the foreground look slippery, more like squid tentacles, due to the smoothness and the way that you've highlighted them.

I really like the flowers on the other tree, but while you've outlined the flowers themselves, the internal features such as the stamen are almost unreadable because they are not outlined.

I sort of like the gradients and think that they are appropriate in this case, but you should be prepared to receive a few negative comments on them since they don't fall within the boundaries of traditional pixel art. The same goes for anything with transparency, such as the beams of light under those glass platforms leading up to the edge.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:36:01 am
haha I love your ghetto tree. Sadly I am jealous of it :( it has the reflection of the sky. you understand what I am going for

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 08:23:43 am
ugh...this is a mess of conflicting perspectives and styles. it is true your first critique was WAY agressive and that reasonably puts you in a defensive state, but right now you're just making excuse after excuse for every single bad choice in this mockup, and it's got deep issues that just dont let any of it come together.

I dont even know where to start critiquing, try to limit your style a little...dont draw an incredibly smoothed out pile of...whatever that is, and put it next to a doorway that has no trace of even any AA whatsoever, that is flat out wrong and no matter how beautiful any of the single pieces of your game is, nobody will apreciate it's graphics if you keep this up.

I say size down, do one basic floor/wall texture right and remove all that noise you have in there, you clearly cant handle showing that many diferent elements.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 08:38:41 am
I don't understand what this piece of art is going for at all so I am a bit at a loss about how to approach the critique for it. Could you please at least clarify what exactly you've drawn yourself from this... conglomeration of items and styles, and what you've taken from elsewhere?

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 07:59:50 pm
ugh...this is a mess of conflicting perspectives and styles. it is true your first critique was WAY agressive and that reasonably puts you in a defensive state, but right now you're just making excuse after excuse for every single bad choice in this mockup, and it's got deep issues that just dont let any of it come together.

I dont even know where to start critiquing, try to limit your style a little...dont draw an incredibly smoothed out pile of...whatever that is, and put it next to a doorway that has no trace of even any AA whatsoever, that is flat out wrong and no matter how beautiful any of the single pieces of your game is, nobody will apreciate it's graphics if you keep this up.

I say size down, do one basic floor/wall texture right and remove all that noise you have in there, you clearly cant handle showing that many diferent elements.
Well I actually said in my first post that I am changing this piece a lot, which is why I asked specific questions. I still enjoy learning about the stuff; it's fun. As for my "excuses" I feel they were all valid or I wouldn't have said them. I did a good job of not being very defensive and I think everyone should drop the subject.

I have begun work on my floor tiles because I agree they look too flat, and this is something I was thinking about a while ago.
The "pile" was really just a mild experiment to fill the fact that I have not yet made any building tiles. I am not so good with creating "piles" anyway lol, I am offering $50 for some great cliff tiles, by the way.

I got a vision this morning for the building so I've begun work on it since you people seem to be whipping me in that direction now anyway. I will post this soon
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:14:35 pm by Antago »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 09:12:51 pm
We all understand experimenting with different styles, we all have done it. Regardless, if you do plan to use any of this dont work on it along with all these pieces of disparate styles as if they were a single mockup, because it will transpire to a lack of direction in the whole look for your scene/game.

We are not pushing you to make a building, we are pushing you to make something that is actually coherent and doesnt look like a frankestenized mis mash of separate pieces that dont belong together at all.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:53:36 pm
Here's some progress thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:06:37 pm by Antago »