AuthorTopic: My first BIG pixel project... Lend a hand? (WIP)  (Read 2592 times)

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

My first BIG pixel project... Lend a hand? (WIP)

on: July 01, 2008, 11:52:20 pm
Of all the pixel art I have ever done (which isn't much) the largest I've ever worked was maybe 64 x 64. I decided to be ambitious and kick it up a notch. I plan to draw three of these ancient, stoic-faced individuals (from different angles). Each head will be worked in a 200 x 200 pixel field. By the end I hope to have them all interacting with each other somehow. As far as a background goes, I have not yet decided.

Here's my main concern: Color choice. I think what I'm looking for is a selection of dull, earthy tones... but I don't want to just choose one color and ramp it from light to dark. All right, onto the pictures!  ;D

EDIT: Just showin' my drawing process up above.

THANKS for the tips! A big help. I think I conjured up a pretty decent 12-color palette which I'll implement rather soon. I'll keep y'all posted.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:48:04 pm by gamingjustin »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: My first BIG pixel project... Lend a hand? (WIP)

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:51:51 pm
Look how you're delegating slots to the value range. Which is the range you need most? The dark half, the middle half or the bright half? Expand the middle range!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: My first BIG pixel project... Lend a hand? (WIP)

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:27:38 pm
This is really good advice. Too often I've faced a large area to color with only a few shades, when I really should've just changed the palette to reflect the piece's needs. The good news for you is that you're still in a beginning stage of the piece; it gets tough once you're attached to the colors or the rendering on smaller, less important parts of the work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:29:17 pm by big brother »