AuthorTopic: Need help with readability/design on old woman character  (Read 2259 times)

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile
I need some input on this design and its readability. Its the main character, for a short horror/dark game which takes place in a forest and She carries a lamb on her back.

B^)

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Need help with readability/design on old woman character

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 12:41:30 pm
I think it looks very readable, except maybe for the lamb. But that can change once you animate it.

Actually, the lamb could have stronger shadows under its head, like:

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 03:21:40 pm
With so few pixels it's kind of hard to see the difference between a lamb, a dog and a huge white rat. But I think the long ears and the eyes with visible whites make your lamb look more like a dog. Lambs tend not to have very visible whites in their eye.

Quick and lazy edit, because I don't have much time:

Personally, I would either go more towards 3D shapes with more contrast and large clusters of brightness and shadow or towards 2D shapes and that kind of flat paper cut-out style. Right now you have some tiny shadows with low contrast and they don't really do much, in my humble opinion. It's like a compromise between two different styles.

But I agree with fskn that the general readability is good. It's a very clean design.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:14:17 am by cels »

Offline BasseBoi

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 01:17:27 pm
thanks for helping me, both of you. I see that youre right, the shadows are to weak. And thanks for the design on the lamb, its more clear that its a lamb now lol
B^)