AuthorTopic: Mini Mario...REALLY mini... [WIP]  (Read 11241 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Mini Mario...REALLY mini... [WIP]

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 07:13:23 pm
Oooh, this is gonna be a really neat thread. Nice animations, you've improved alot before i saw this.

Theres a few things that bug me about some of the animations:
The jump animation. He seems to be hovering and raising his arms. i would add a bit of a leg bend (I would say knee but at this size you cant really tell.) before and after he jumps, like so: (Click)

i only have graphics gale so i cant animate this for you. sorry, man.
i forgot, i have ImageReady. It wont look half as good as it did in GG but you get the idea.

Man, its sooo slow. it looked much better in GG...  :'(

In the walk animation, some bounce would be good, but i cant imagine how you would do it without overworking it because of the size. Other than this stuff, i cant compliment you more on the fluid-ness (I have a hunch that thats not in the dictionary) of all of it. Fantabulous job, keep it up! and remember that im far less talented than you, so feel free to not listen.  :P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:16:18 pm by coran »

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• My failed attempt at mimicking XenoStriker's style
    • View Profile
    • My DA..nothing much yet >>

Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:25:03 am
Thanks Coran for the input.  ;)  I'm not going to use the running animation anyway to give the animation a more fast paced feel.  I see what you mean for the jumping, I plan to rework it a bunch.  Your edit will help.
I won't start any Mario animation, however, until I'm done with the basic build.  Do any of you pixel gods or demi-gods have any more divine input for my measly project?  :D
Haha, I'm jes messin wid ya.   :crazy:
By the way, here's an update for Lakitu:

What the donk?  Is it just me, or did Photobucket add some wonky aftersprite things for some of the frames on the spiny koopa?
Goomba remake...not really to my liking...

EDIT:
Wow, I'm more delirious than usual...I meant Imageshack, not Photobucket. :mean:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:05:47 pm by Yo-Yo-Master »

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:16 am
sorry about this, but eyed blocks first appeared on super mario world, and they can have all kind of objects. that's the correct way they work. I think that goomba does'nt read at all.

PS:another thing: when you save your gifs, set each frame on background replace mode, there'll be an option somewhere
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:30:04 am by smiker »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 12:04:36 pm
Goomba remake...not really to my liking...

much better imho, and much more readable (except the "trunk" that is a bit light against this grey ... but again, it'll show against blue sky, so ... still, maybe the reason it's not to your liking comes from the "jumpiness" you pushed in the goomba. It's definitely no longer looking "i'm boring here and i just walk forward until something blocks my path" that defines the spirit of a goomba.

Also, do you actually intend to stick to the 4-6 colours of SMB1 on NES ? not that it matters for the Goomba, but i think Lakitu and the spiked koopa would benefit from some slight shading ... and you could use a darker tint for doing goomba's eyebrows that might restore its "mood".

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:08:59 pm
Nice progress. i like the new Lakitu.   :D

I think the ....turtles...? koopas should be bigger. In super mario bros they are taller than Mario without a mushroom.

heh heh.. and in Super Mario Atari and SMB, the goombas are about the same size as Mario without a mushroom as well.
( < Atari)

Oh.. and i would use Imageshack. www.imageshack.us
never corrupted a file for me!

[EDIT]

heres a quick edit for you to show some other stuff:

i added whites to the eyes, made it bigger, and changed colors. hope i could help!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:42:49 pm by coran »

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:42:52 pm
Well, he certainly is bigger now... ::)   
->
I'm not going to make the spiny koopa bigger, though.  He's a lot smaller in the game than koopas, since he has them spines.
OH CARPZ, should have mentioned this before...I'm borrowing colors from the SMB palette.  Yeah.  While that obviously isn't ripping, I want to know if that's acceptable.  Here.  And anywhere, for that matter. :sigh:
About the palette...yeah, well, its a heckuva lot more than six so far...

The reason for a dumpload of blues is the background,, which is like this...maybe:

Holey moley, Coran, your goomba kicks some major mushroom. :D Making things bigger certainly allows you to add more features.  "My" version, not very different :
No more bounce.  I want to keep it for the koopas, though.
Update Lakitu, again. 

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 10:33:28 pm
it's funny because you say imageshack never corrupted an image for you (I think) and yet you posted that image today and it is not showing up?

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 03:23:56 pm
That was before just now when i noticed that it wasn't showing up. But he is obviously having a lot more problems with Photobucket than i am with Imageshack. Why dont we keep this to constructive criticism. this forum is for critique.

And thanks for the compliments, Yo-Yo-Master. glad you like it.  ;D Your mushroom looks much better. You could eliminate some of those blues and try some dithering. Never got the hand of it myself but if mastered its quite useful i assume. Oh, and you could try www.maj.com too. i use both.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:45:00 pm by coran »

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 10:59:44 pm
Yeh, I misspoke, I actually DO use imageshack.  :'(  But anyway, I'm not sure if I want to dither the sky.  Nothing else in the piece is dithered, so it might stick out.
Maybe I did too much.   !yus!  But at least it's three colors.
Two colors. 
New run.
A failed head turn...I think it looks better without it. 

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 09:09:53 am
And thanks for the compliments, Yo-Yo-Master. glad you like it.  ;D Your mushroom looks much better. You could eliminate some of those blues and try some dithering.
I'd say you should consider what you're going to do with those sprites (is it just a mockup or a game running on some hardware) and if its for a game, what will be the capabilities of the hardware. On many devices, it is possible to change the color of the background synchronously with the start of a new line, meaning that with only one entry in the palette, you can actually have a colorful raster for your scene ... and going with dithering actually make the things more complex.