AuthorTopic: Sal collects eyeballs  (Read 16093 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Sal collects eyeballs

on: June 27, 2008, 11:40:10 pm
I haven't had much motivation to finish larger pieces lately, so I wanted to draw something simpler. I thought a mockup would be a good idea, and I've been curious about the C64 restrictions for games. Ptoing has given me some help with those, and my boyfriend named the main character Sally. :D

I don't really have any real ideas for this yet, so I thought I'd draw a larger and more detailed version of Sal.

Still C64 colors. I'm having a bit of trouble with her dress, so I'm still working on the folds and stuff.

Here are some of the sprites and tiles. The main character is two sprites overlaid. I'll put together a mockup later and explain the restrictions as far as I've understood them. It's a lot to keep track of, and I'll have to experiment a bit to figure out which colors to choose for global colors (pink and brown, currently) and background color and where to use sprites and where to use tiles and all that.

Mushroom walk animation.

Any input is welcome. ;D

Edit: Final(?) version:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:28:31 pm by Arachne »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: Sal collects eyeballs

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:03:11 am
I'm pretty sure you were going for something drenched in a creepy vibe, so hope you don't mind if I say the big Sally is really off-putting! ;)

I like how you implied the surprise expression even though there are no means of the conventional mime.

cannot wait to see the mock-up ready, or the Sal piece finished!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:39:40 am by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:14 pm
Heh, looks like it wasn't quite accurate? :crazy:

Edit: Alright, I think I have the cloth mostly figured out now. Just a bit more work on the shading remains, I think.

From these two sketches. I'm so tired of drawing folds now. :blind:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:20:50 am by Arachne »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:56 am
wow!  that you were using your own sketch as a reference makes it even more valuable!  move on with the tone!
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:16:20 pm
you're making the mistake of focusing too much on the folds themselves before thinking of the underlying shape.  You're working backwards.  Try starting with a basic shape with shading, then add folds on top

A very very quick edit:

just a bit of flattening can help resolve your current issue.  Note that I used dirty tools and screwed up the palette in the process :S

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:08 am
Thanks! You're right, and I sort of lost track of my light sources in the process, I think. I'm still not sure if the direction of the light on the body matches that of the head. I darkened the other light source, added some shadows and tried to fix the perspective a bit. I hope what I intended is clearer now. :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:28:50 pm
I love the design of the creature as well, it manages to have quite a startling expression without using too much human means to do it.  You took good advantage of the C64 tones to create your own quirky atmosphere. I also see good progress in the folds

That was a good point Indigo made, follow his advice...I'm just gonna pick out little things that sticked out to me.

personally I'm not really sure of the lastest interpretation of the folds, specially the way they wrinkle as they touch the ground.

Looking at your sketch, you captured well how when it touches the ground, the cloth created creaces that made the cloth directly above the ground sort of puff up a little, you made very decided and strong lines that describe exactly how the cloth sort of turned on itself and went below the the clothed figure to create those puffed up creaces.

However, in the actual sprite the cloth that is about to touch the ground just seems to sort of float for no reason, the creaces close to the ground arent clearly specified.

Also, in the sprite it looks like he's got a type of sleeve for his right hand, and a different one for the left one...I'm not quite sure why the sleeve closest to us looks so inflated when his arm is so thin.

Also, with the first picture you posted you seemed to have a difference in the amount of white used in his wet bulgy little head at the top, while the shirt didnt have as much bright white highlights. Now they sort of hold around the same amount  of white and this sort of reduces the impact of the freaky texture on his head, while making the shirt look all the more unlikely.

Ok now, with all the crit out of the way let me say this is probably one of my favorite things ever posted here, and in the internet in general, this is going to my favorite pics folder =)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:32:15 pm by Conceit »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:10 pm
Thanks a lot for both crits and compliments. ;D

The problem with the folds on the ground is that I wasn't quite sure where or if I should cut them off since the cloth I used for reference was a bit longer than what I intended for Sal's dress. You're right, though, and I hope it looks better now.

When I drew the reference for the sleeve, I put a sock in it to make her a shoulder, and the result was, well, that. :)

Ah, good point. I've removed the white highlights to make it more dull and clothlike.

I also changed the shading in a few places. Nothing major, though. I feel that I'm relying a bit too heavily on the reference, and I think that's keeping me from making radical changes. So bear with me. I'll get it right in the end, I hope. :)

Edit: Cleaned up the background a bit and added some sketchy foliage. I added a bit of blue to the mushrooms to make them look less flat. I shaded them with the darker blue initially, but I didn't want to make them too prominent.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:44:51 pm by Arachne »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:22 pm
Here's a more substantial update. Hopefully the last, but see what you think. ;D

Offline Portrait

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:11:26 am
Hmm, i like it. The background is kind of plain but it fits it. Other then the background i love it!  :y:Great work!