AuthorTopic: [WIP] Slashy, ogrey..guy..thing...  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

[WIP] Slashy, ogrey..guy..thing...

on: June 27, 2008, 06:52:17 pm

Obviously it's not finished. not even close. Forgive the pillowshading, it's a temporary placeholder for actual shading. used it mostly to keep better track of the different limb sections and whatnot.
I'd like to get some advice to spot any problems I  might be having before I get too far in and have to spend 16 hours fixing the entire thing.

It started out as an animation I was editing in another thread, and thought it'd be fun to turn it into something original. so I did. these are the results so far.

Credit given to masked and his stuff for the inspiration:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6523.0
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:51:34 pm by Corsair »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: [WIP] Slashy, ogrey..guy..thing...

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:03:52 pm
i think the motion blur thing is over done, but i suppose it could seem that way since it is wtill wip? at the moment it looks like he is weilding a lightsabre
also, his body(mostly his legs and head )looks very stiff.there could be more of a thrusting and exchange/shifting of weight to make the animation more dynamic.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:26:37 pm
i think the motion blur thing is over done, but i suppose it could seem that way since it is wtill wip?

I won't defend the stiffness. I'll work on that.

But the motion blur is a stylistic thing. I just like the way excessive motion blur looks  :D

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:38:33 pm
Pixel animation is like fine cuisine. With top ingredients you get the best results if you don't over work your dish.
I like the character design and the movement and if I squint when I look at it it looks top notch.
But you've got too much going on like he's got ants in his pants.

I would simplify it slightly and make the movements cleaner and more straight forward.
Actually I think it's only the legs that has these problems. The upper body looks fine.

Also I feel you need to give Masked a little cred since you have to have been inspired by him a bit perhaps right OK?

You know what this reminds me of? Nemesis the Warlock on the c=64!
Damn I have to listen to that SID now. Rob Hubbard FTW!!

(That's me saying I want to see you draw some Zombies now)

PS.

I don't agree with Alex that it looks stiff. I don't think he looks stiff enough.
 He's wearing armor and he's a brutal MF that's what he is.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:42:18 pm by robotacon »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:51 pm
Cred Given  :y:

I have some problems working with legs, because i use myself as a reference a lot of the time when i'm doing animation in front of the mirror in my bathroom (I got walked in on once. try explaining dancing around with a plastic sword in the bathroom to your girlfriend.  :yell: ) and the mirror only goes as far as my waist. If anyone has any videos or references i could use to help fix the movement of the legs i'd greatly apprecate the providence of such materials. as it is i don't reall know what i'd do about them. I know it needs to be changed but i don't know exactly what i'd need to do :\

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:15:55 pm
My noob advice is this: the attack itself should be way faster than the motion when he's lifting the sword. When he attacks, gravity is whit him. When he lifts his weapon, it's against him.

Also, boots? He has gloves and tibia protection. ...and he fights barefeet?  :-\

Good luck with finishing this. :y:
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:53 pm
Also, boots? He has gloves and tibia protection. ...and he fights barefeet?  :-\

Intentional , yes. sorry if you don't like that, but that's part of the character.

think *half* civilized, *controlled* rage.

Seriously folks, though I want to make the helmet/head and legs more lively. how can i do this without making it look like ass?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:26:00 pm by Corsair »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 05:15:45 pm
I Decided that i should go with a "heavier" direction. I (hopefully) made the feet a little bit less jittery but reducing the 'bounciness' of the legs, while -albiet slightly - increased the length of motion and amount in that area as well.

worked a lot more on the lighting. i'm still not 100% pleased with it, but it's better than it was.
added a draw back motion to better loop the animation.i'm not completely sure how to reduce the awkwardness, and i'll admit that it was kinda tacked on.

Reersed the direction so it would be easier to spot errors and things that didn't look right. fix more of those little tibits, that, individuall woudln't have meant a lot but on the whole, made the entire thing considerably nicer to look at.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:50:20 pm by Corsair »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:40:44 pm
Ironically, the return-to-pose draw back motion is my favorite part of this animation. Why? It's the only piece that has any SNAP, any deliberate motion, and anything hinting at some serious impact.

In fact, your signature, avatar, and this piece all three are rather slow and force-less in my humblest of opinions! Don't get me wrong, I love the sweepingness of your signiature in particular, but all your animations seem to lack the aggressiveness and lightning-motion that attacks should have.

As reference, track down a post from Gil and check out his avatar. It's got a sense of smashy smash to it.

Alternately, and for a far better resource and a read, check out this if you haven't already:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3421.0

Specifically, I'd suggest looking for the floating fire mage chick and how much fuggin' impact there is on that animation.

Love the motions, though, and how well he holds his form. If you work on the timing and force of this, I'm sure you could make it EVEN MORE impressive!

P.S. I'd love you if you had it in you to remove his helmet and make that orc ROAR!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:38 pm

here's a kinda conservative idea about further coloring.