AuthorTopic: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics  (Read 30020 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics

Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 07:37:41 pm

Couldnīt resist :-[.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49:58 pm
Perhaps they're aiming for the quality of MM2 because a lot more people are familiar with it over MM6. I dunno, I really like those clockwork tiles posted earlier from MM2 though.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 08:06:32 pm
Corsair: You are being incredibly unfair to Inafune with his vision. There might be other aspects of the development that ARE making the game cheap with the thoughtlessly done tiles, but if inafune holds a meeting and tells people to re-do their work that is definitively NOT out of lazyness. He's clearly attempting to do something you dont understand, and if you dont understand it then dont condemn it.

There is one thing that you all might be missing here, and it is that in a way megman2 is almost indy. It was not developed in their "day-job" per se, they were always working on it after hours as their dream project, somewhat like Shantae and Wayforward.....so there is a lot of love put into that game, and the people who made it were very honestly trying to make it look it's best, that's why it's so often considered a favorite

I was one of the first to complain about the lack of megaman6 quality in this game, but having head of Inafune calling a meeting to re-do the graphics, I  agree with the idea of going to the basics and keeping the designs simple, I do think that megaman designs were better when they were more about the basic shapes than all the blinking lights and CLUTTER

I mean would that guy REALLY look better if you put a bunch of blinking lights and clutter on him? I'm hoping that's the kind of thing that Inafune corrected in the meeting, to take CLUTTER out of the designs.

Some of the screens in the article give me hope that it was the case

That goofy flower right there, and the background that makes a circle around the center...it has that sort goofy simplistic charm to it.

Honestly, I'm starting to become a little more enthusiastic of the project, I really wouldnt mind if they fuck up a few backgrounds as long as overall it keeps the same kind of goofy charm

I mean, here you have megaman 2, 9 and 1. it's looking more like the cheap designless megaman1
But I'm hoping this comes down more to a spoiled team that inafune cant control on EVERY turn, rather than a lazy vision
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:56:39 pm by Conceit »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 08:12:38 pm
I think it just may be a matter of people working with something very unfamiliar, and not really knowing what would be 'right' or 'wrong'. I mean, not many people are familiar with working under NES restrictions, and probably even less that did when NES was around.

So in the end, you have a group of people trying to replicate something without really ever experiencing what it was like to really work under the limitations.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:16 pm
Perhaps they're aiming for the quality of MM2 because a lot more people are familiar with it over MM6. I dunno, I really like those clockwork tiles posted earlier from MM2 though.

...and THAT is why they're being disingenuous. They think that if it's immediately recognizable as a follow up to the most popular of the NES period Megamans, people will pick it up more. It's not about a more generalized love for the franchise or indeed for the capabilities and shortcomings of the NES. It's about consumerist demand. This retro thing is shit.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 08:38:55 pm
I think any pixel artist agrees that less is more, that using a few elements very well placed is better than having many and not knowing how to use it.

it's obvious this is not entirely what's going on with Megaman9, but as said the people working on this arent familiar with the enviroment and I think if Inafune is calling up meetings to make sure there isnt clutter, we should give him the benefit of the doubt until the game comes out, asume that he is going for less clutter but his team is just too spoiled to understand hiim.

Remember, Megaman2 was to Inafune like Shantae was for Wayforward, they worked on it after hours and it REALLY IS the favorite megaman game, so the focus on emulating it's desing is NOT out of lazyness, it's because that loving aproach worked....so

Give Inafune a break until we see a little more :p

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:53 pm
Megaman 6 came out on the NES. It has better graphics than most NES games, and indeed, Megaman 1-5 in my opinion. Does it not strike a nostalgic chord? And also be very very well done?
Oops. My bad. MM6 was one of the ones that I didn't play, so I had no idea that it looked that much better than the other five. Although now that I have seen that, it seems pretty safe to say that Dusty is right about the familiarity thing. They're definitely sacrificing visuals to go for a period look that more people will recognize.

It still makes some sense from a nostalgic standpoint though. Most people remember a system for the games that they played on it, not its theoretical capabilities. More people played 1-5, so more people will remember NES megaman that way.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 08:53:58 pm
Megaman 6 came out on the NES. It has better graphics than most NES games, and indeed, Megaman 1-5 in my opinion. Does it not strike a nostalgic chord? And also be very very well done?
Oops. My bad. MM6 was one of the ones that I didn't play, so I had no idea that it looked that much better than the other five. Although now that I have seen that, it seems pretty safe to say that Dusty is right about the familiarity thing. They're definitely sacrificing visuals to go for a period look that more people will recognize.

It still makes some sense from a nostalgic standpoint though. Most people remember a system for the games that they played on it, not its theoretical capabilities. More people played 1-5, so more people will remember NES megaman that way.

But that's the thing now. Do you think anyone would be even one iota less excited for this game if it looked like Megaman 6 or better? Or would they be more excited? Buuuut... which is the easier one to make, and which will generate more instant nostalgia sales?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: August 06, 2008, 09:03:42 pm
my only real fear - and it might not be the popular fear on this board - will the GAME be as good as the old ones?  AND - in an age where everyone has emulators and other stuff that already lets them play the old ones for free - what is this game doing to make it worth buying?

I honestly think it's going to end up as collector's item because after the first few thousand people will realize that it's nothing that they didn't have before, and that it was made with half the love.

why make a megaman with graphics that are kinda like the old game, only not made by people who specialize in that style?  why make a game that plays the same when you could toss in, i dunno, a little innovation in the same spirit?  battlenetwork and other recent megaman games sucking has nothing to do with the technology or the visuals and everything to do with the fact that they've lost sight of the goals, and making a faux-retro title won't bring them any closer to the original spirit than they already aren't.

btw - answer is probably obvious to people with more knowledge of the methods - but how does megaman's sprite have 6 colors?  I can't draw boxes around him in any way to get perfect 8x8 4-color pieces?

EDIT - i do realize that this game is being made not to revitalize the series but to dupe a nostalgic audience, so the questions about why make this are a bit more rhetorical than anything else :p.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.