AuthorTopic: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics  (Read 30024 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics

Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:44 pm
I'm not saying megaman x is bad, by any means, but it is waaaay easier than any of megaman 1-6, that is all.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:32 pm
There's nothing in the NES that makes you draw simple and repetitive graphics. Batman was made on the NES. Shatterhand too. And Megaman 6 looks much, much better than the new game.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:39 am

Good god that background (right side, Megaman 9) hurts my eyes. :huh:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 04:08:01 am
it's obvious that the aproach has had it's deminishing qualities, but I do see some charming and interesting stuff going on...a kind of design we dont see anymore, like that flower in one of the screenshots of the article.

This wont really feel like NES I think, but hopefully it will be interesting anyway

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 07:38:20 am
I very much doubt that it will achieve what it is setting out to do, to better Megaman 2, but I`m still really looking forward to playing it.

I like the designers view when he says that if a game is 8-Bit, 16-Bit or whatever doesn`t really matter as long as it fits in with the creators view of how the game should look. I wish this were true and believe it myself but in this day and age I`m not sure that the majority of newer generation of gamers are going to be able see it in this way. It will be interesting to see how it performs. I have high hopes for it. I think that most people from my generation, the ones who grew up with NES games, will love it, others, I`m not so sure.

I also agree with Helm in what he says about using NES limitations as an excuse for bad art. There are as he lists, quite a few decent looking NES games around which were very well done.

Jason.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:41:14 am by QuickSilva »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 08:35:28 am
We don't really know what's the reasoning for what inafune supposedly said. I agree the screens so far definatelly aren't looking that good. If the team had made the tilesets perfectly to nes spec and still had to simplify, it's just wrong. I'd like to see what they had done before they were ordered to remake most of it.

I'm not saying megaman x is bad, by any means, but it is waaaay easier than any of megaman 1-6, that is all.
Still, not easier because of the graphics interfering  ;) . Megaman 7 took a hit from the new 16bit powers though, so that would be how you described it before.

Back in the nes days i had enough of megaman by #5 so i never played 6 until emulators came up. Now there are 120 megaman titles (stated on the capcom sales page) Most of those are shovelware or recycling. I hope mm9 isn't just another one of these "products"

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 10:21:31 am
That retro means 'simple' and symbolic. I generally find this 'retro revival' thing awful. For someone that loves these games, they never went 'retro', they were always live for them. It's disingenuous.
This.

The whole "retro" thing is really getting out of hand. For young gamers it probably looks like all pre 1995 games were extremely simple,
without any storys, great ideas and can be played trough in a couple of minutes.
Dont get me wrong, im not whining after "the old times",just my 2 cents.

I already said it here, but why should it look worser than 7 or 8, hell it looks even worser than 6.
A good 16bit standard and i was fine with it. Its not like it demands a army of graphic artists.

Well, i had a really hard time with it though :huh:

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 01:15:42 pm
Yeah I was really sad to hear that they forced the artists to tone down the detail. It seems like a decision that was made in fear of 14-year-old knowitalls who would look at the game and say "NES couldn't do that! *snort*" And we'll probably never get to see this beautiful pixel art that was scrapped!  :'(
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:23 pm
All this does is reassure me that campcom is one of the laziest game companies around these days. the fact taht the graphics are needlessly simplistic, even by NES standards, doesn't prove this point any more than the fact that capcom used the *SAME* morrigan sprite in *every* game she was in for well over ten years, even when other sprites got at least mild upgrades.

Personally, i think this is capcom trying to make a quick buck with minimal expenditures. if tehy'd just come out and say that i'd probably have alot more respect for them.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 07:06:17 pm
Of course, the technical aspects were a little harder, especially with the graphics. Mr. Inafune wanted it to be simple, like the old, early Mega Man games, but the staff, for whatever reason, kept making it more complex.

The details in the graphics were just too much for what an 8-bit game was, so he had to tell them to redo almost half of it at one point, because they were making it too complex. He said, "Make it simple. Bring it back to the basics."

I don't like this attitude. That retro means 'simple' and symbolic. I generally find this 'retro revival' thing awful. For someone that loves these games, they never went 'retro', they were always live for them. It's disingenuous.

I think (or at least I'm hoping) that he meant that they wanted it to look like the other 8-bit megaman games. They could add more detail and make the game prettier, but it wouldn't look as much like 1-6, which I suppose they figure would take away from the nostalgia factor that they're trying to achieve.

Just throwing that out there. Even if this is the case, I'm still not saying that I necessarily agree with it.