AuthorTopic: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics  (Read 30023 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics

Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 05:12:34 am
Heh... why would they even have it? I figure they were coding it from scratch... and I didn't think they had those limitations anymore, but I guess they left it in for nostalgic reasons or something?

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 08:17:07 am
I think that the option is included to make it seem like an even more authentic NES game, although it's off by default to make the game more playable. It's a neat little addition though.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:48 am
Maybe there'll be a hard mode simulating "semi-broken cartridge"  :P

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:26 am

Read this guys   -   it clears up alot about design issues, namely why it's looking alot like Megaman 2, and goes on to explain about the optional glitches in game (flickering + slowdown etc)

very interesting:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3752/he_is_8bit_capcoms_hironobu_.php?page=1
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 08:39:11 pm

LMAO! I soooo want that

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 09:21:32 pm
Of course, the technical aspects were a little harder, especially with the graphics. Mr. Inafune wanted it to be simple, like the old, early Mega Man games, but the staff, for whatever reason, kept making it more complex.

The details in the graphics were just too much for what an 8-bit game was, so he had to tell them to redo almost half of it at one point, because they were making it too complex. He said, "Make it simple. Bring it back to the basics."

I don't like this attitude. That retro means 'simple' and symbolic. I generally find this 'retro revival' thing awful. For someone that loves these games, they never went 'retro', they were always live for them. It's disingenuous.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:38 pm
Just to play the devil's advocate, I think in games like Megaman or other "hardcore" shooters or jump-and-runs, simplicity is a HUGE boon for the gameplay.  I think a big reason why the Megaman X games play so much easier is that they HAD to back off on the difficulty because their colorful, complex 16-bit graphics were too distracting.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 09:36:23 pm
I don't think Megaman 6 plays any worse because of better art. Can you show me specific examples in-game where it does? It's just a sprite on a static screen, it can't really get too complicated whatever you throw at it.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 09:52:17 pm
I was referring more to the SNES megamans (megamen?)...i don't have any explanation for why it doesn't look as good as megaman 6 :)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:38 pm
Of course, the technical aspects were a little harder, especially with the graphics. Mr. Inafune wanted it to be simple, like the old, early Mega Man games, but the staff, for whatever reason, kept making it more complex.

The details in the graphics were just too much for what an 8-bit game was, so he had to tell them to redo almost half of it at one point, because they were making it too complex. He said, "Make it simple. Bring it back to the basics."

I don't like this attitude. That retro means 'simple' and symbolic. I generally find this 'retro revival' thing awful. For someone that loves these games, they never went 'retro', they were always live for them. It's disingenuous.
Isn't that just to try and keep within the nes limitations? Also isn't removing features a rather good thing cause it forces them to thoroughly think through the basics instead of taping in new (often useless) features that end up hurting the overall experience (gah megaman ZX suffers from a lot of things like this) Isn't that what most restrictive environments are about anyway? Stuff like making a pixel art piece in just 8 colors needs to excel in basic things just like a nes game when you can't glue in stuff.

Adam, i seriously don't see what you're trying to say. Megaman X1 and 2 are some of the most solid games when it comes to treshold play. X3 was broken though.