AuthorTopic: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics  (Read 29995 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Re: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:57 am
Here`s a YouTube link. Looks a lot like Megaman 2 to me which is a good thing. Graphics currently aren`t as nice as the later games in my opinion. I also hear that they are going to reuse some of the tunes from Megaman 2, again that`s fine as they are great tunes but I hope that there is plenty of new stuff too. I saw somewhere that you are going to be able to play as Megaman without his helmet like in the Megaman 2 intro scene. Should be great for fans. Lots of unlockables too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPwB0q20KkU

Jason.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:46 am
I think that the main reason that I like the idea is because Capcom had the choice of quickly putting one of the old MM games on the Virtual console for some quick money, or doing something new for the folks who'd like to play something that they haven't before. Sure it doesn't take a lot of effort, but it's more effort then Capcom had to put out and plenty of people would rather play some new levels instead of the same ones over again.

That said, I just read a few minutes ago that Capcom has decided to price the game at 1000 Wii points (that's about $10 in most places). I guess that it seems fairly reasonable. For comparison, here are the prices (in Wii points, as I remember them) set for old games re-released on the VC.

NES: 400
GENESIS: 600
TG16: 600
SNES: 800
NEO-GEO: 900
N64: 1000

What do you think?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:37:28 pm
I hate to be a whiner, but I'm actually a little bit dissapointed.
I'm really glad they went retro with this game - the original Megaman sprite is like the paradigm of pixel art. And I still think it's a cool idea, but the screenshots that have been coming out aren't anywhere near as pretty as Megaman 6, which was one of the sexiest-looking games for the NES. In fact Capcom put out a bunch of really beautiful NES games that all pushed the envelope for that that system could do. But with this one it looks like they're either mostly rehashing old unused assets from the last 6 NES games, or their artists just aren't putting much effort into it. I keep hoping the next batch of screenshots will look better because this is too cool of an idea to go half-heartedly with.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:11:44 pm
I hate to be a whiner, but I'm actually a little bit dissapointed.
I'm really glad they went retro with this game - the original Megaman sprite is like the paradigm of pixel art. And I still think it's a cool idea, but the screenshots that have been coming out aren't anywhere near as pretty as Megaman 6, which was one of the sexiest-looking games for the NES. In fact Capcom put out a bunch of really beautiful NES games that all pushed the envelope for that that system could do. But with this one it looks like they're either mostly rehashing old unused assets from the last 6 NES games, or their artists just aren't putting much effort into it. I keep hoping the next batch of screenshots will look better because this is too cool of an idea to go half-heartedly with.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:06:26 pm
Maybe because Im not a huge megaman fan,
but I dont see much sense to release a mainline megaman as a download game. Its also not acceptable why it looks
worser (I know its intended to look like an NES game!) than the prequels. Why not making magaman 9 on a good
16/32 bit standard is beyond me, espeally for Capcom.
Its sounds harsh but from the videos a saw it looks like a romhack to me.

Offline rdcarvallo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 02:52:31 pm
Now that more images have surfaced, we can talk about the direction this game is taking.

To make a better comparison of the game graphics, I have been playing the NES games in the Anniversary Collection in my PS2, currently, 2 bosses left in MM1, 5 in MM2, 4 in MM3, and MM4 was finished in one sitting.

I'm a huge Rockman fan, and as many others I found MM2 a masterpiece, but my favorite games are MM3 and MM4, for the gameplay mechanics that introduced (Slide and Rockbuster).

In all the screens shown so far, I have not seen slides nor buster shots... this makes me worry, they aren't simply downgrading the graphics from the last games, but also the gameplay.

I dont see much sense to release a mainline megaman as a download game.

I agree completely with this, a game all the fans have been waiting so long, should not be released as a download.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 03:13:15 pm
I don't really see any other option besides downloadable game to be honest. If they made it with new graphics they'd have to aim for handhelds, but DS is already saturated with megaman games and on the PSP they already did Maverick hunter X and Megaman Powered up, which are great games but didn't sell enough.

Like ben said, it seems they're not pushing the graphics, but i say we need  to see more than just a few teases to get any kind of idea what the game will be.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 03:23:34 pm
Capcom still has plenty of time to improve the graphics right?
And I think it's safe to say that it's been a while since capcom worked on graphics like this so I'd expect them to take a while to get back into the groove.

And yeah, I think wiiware is the best option, or any downloadable service for that matter.
I think we all like the idea of a megaman 9 finally being done and with NES graphics no less, but I think we all know on no other format would the typical gamer find this acceptable.

Take the new Wario Land for example, it looks beautiful, but they're still saying "it should be on wiiware/DS"
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:03 am
Being a total Mega Man fan, this is just gold to me!  ;D

I like the fact that it's going on WiiWare, and with NES graphics. It just makes sense. The series started on NES, which other console would be a better match for a new NES-ish game in the series than the one where the controller actually resembles the NES one? Plus, that it's a new game. I wouldn't wanna spend Wii Points on the old games since I already own both anniversary collections, so seing this tickles my fanboy senses. (I know I'm saying stuff already said, but I need to get it out of the system :P)

I think Capcom will do the series right with the graphics. I mean, the one constant in the series besides gameplay is the graphics. It's always been more than decent, even for some of the more stupid spinn-offs.

I hope they don't re-use to much music. Boss battle music and such stuff would be ok, but I wouldn't wanna hear Metal Man's theme on another level than just that level.

However, I'm looking forward to this release!  :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:05:39 am by Luzeke »

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 01:41:01 am