AuthorTopic: Zombie Butler  (Read 4869 times)

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Zombie Butler

on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:43 am
This is a pixel recreation of the zombie butler that used to work for me when I was 5 years old, he used to take me to the graveyard to digg second hand brains for my experiments, I miss him so much...

It started like this:

Evolved like this:

Continued like this:

And finished like this:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:08:06 pm by wah_wah_69 »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Zombie Butler

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:17 pm
He looks like that fat guy from Homestar Runner!  The way he is shaded he looks more like a slime guy than a zombie, really, like Slimer from Ghostbusters, because of those shiny hotspots on his head and arms.  Overall it looks like you've traded solid black outlines for solid colored outlines, but outlines are still outlines.  You've got some major contrast issues too, your character needs a wider range of much darker colors.  For the sake of experimentation I think you'd benefit from trying to paint this character without using any outlines or colors at first.  Try just painting his VOLUMES, not coloring in his SECTIONS.  You can do this with just a few shades of gray, and it doesn't have to be super polished or detailed necessarily.  It will make it much easier to focus on where your light source is, though, and how your character is shaped.  Good luck!

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:58 pm
Just re-iterating what is being said. I also thought I would bring up the point about the balance feeling off in your current version. Heres a volume edit for your benefit, a little scrappy with the legs and the details are unnecessary but it should be useful.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:40:25 pm
Thanks you both for the advice.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:04:44 am
Getting better but you still need to up the contrast quite a bit to emphasize the darks and lights of your piece which will give it the illusion of a proper rounded form. At the moment, despite having better shading than your original piece, it still looks far to flat. With a few tweaks here and there you`ll notice all the difference. Just play around with it and have some fun.

Jason.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:03:09 pm
I think it still doesn't look right, any ideas?

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:09:49 pm
Quick edit to show how he could pop although his arms melt in with the background

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:11:30 pm by ortodoxx »

Offline missingno

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:27:55 pm
Hasn't changed much, I don't think. from the beginning, yeah, there has been great improvement, but I think that the recent changes have been very small jumps. Not that it's a bad thing, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to be a bit more adventurous, man.

I made a small edit (just the head). I'm really not as good as some of the other people around here, but I think that it still shows some possible improvements.

One of the things I didn't like was that the light source seemed to come directly from the side. It's probably a personal thing, but I tend to find that to be a bit boring (and unnatural, at least if he's outside). I shifted it up a bit more but kept it going in the same general direction.

I added more depth to your palette by upping the contrast significantly (it's actually a whole different palette, sorry). It could still be improved, but it was a quick job. I also tried to give the head more form to it, by making a shape out of the brow area and stuff. It seems very blobby as-is.

Another problem I had was that I didn't really know what was going on with the mouth area. Are those things tusks or what?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:33:04 pm by missingno »

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 04:40:33 pm
@ortodoxx  I get your point it would definitely would look more defined but I was trying to avoid outlines.

@missingno : Your edit looks quite interesting but it looks more like a troll than a zombie,In my zombie the things popping out his mouth are big irregular teeh.