AuthorTopic: ega tiles  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Stankol

• View Profile

ega tiles

on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:30 pm
Hi everybody.

I need help, I tried to make a tiles in ega palette. I tried. Skw told, then i should maked it simply, but i can't imagine that. :'( Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Some edits? Thanks.

Ps. As always - sorry for english. Oh, and you should watch it in resize x2. =*
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:33:34 pm by Stankol »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: ega tiles

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:58 am
honnestly, the dirt isn't convincing at all. As far as i remember from EGA games, you're better to use greys as a base and then augment with some colours than trying to mix colours together ... At least, it's how ID guys did it in Commander Keen, which remains an EGA reference to my eyes :
I'm also surprised by that "dark yellow" you have and which i don't remind of in the EGA palette. Now, maybe you're talking about the full EGA palette, not the default-picked 16 colours setup by the BIOS (yes, it was still possible to pick something else than default colours in EGA)

As for the vines and the mushroom, why have you picked so many hues to render them ?

Offline Stankol

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:58:00 am
"I'm also surprised by that "dark yellow" you have and which i don't remind of in the EGA palette."

Mhm, in GraghicsGale, File>New and choose "4bit(16colors). Isn't it EGA palette?

About many colors in mushroom - is there any restrictions like 2 colors for a 4x4 etc.?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:28:43 am by Stankol »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:22 am
never used graphic gales, but i can guarantee you that if you get a look at that link i provided in my previous post, only those colours were technically possible on an EGA adapter, and only those that have a number in the "default palette" column were available after enabling EGA through the BIOS. You had to be a hardware guru if you wanted some other colour.

@mushroom, i wasn't refering to a restriction on the number of colors per tiles -- there weren't any : EGA graphic modes were purely bitmap modes -- i was more refering to the weird aspect of having dark purple, dark red, dark green and dark ceylan alltogether. I'd rather have used e.g. brown, dark-rey, red, light-red (maybe purple for AA between light-red and dark-red) for the cap of the mushroom and greys (plus cyans, maybe) for the foot of the mushroom.

Well, anyway, despite the numbers of hours i've spent *playing* EGA games, i'm not that good at 16-color pixel'ing with a generic palette, so i strongly suggest you read the "Arne Palette" thread and study how guys around here do nice things with only 16 generic colors ... imho the EGA palette is one of the most difficult to master because it features almost only saturated colours and pure greys :P It was just good for doing piecharts, noone liking video games or pixel art would have picked a palette like that.