AuthorTopic: Begone SATAN!!! [WIP.. I think]  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Begone SATAN!!! [WIP.. I think]

on: June 24, 2008, 03:02:40 am
First one in a while... moving my way from the left to the right... not entirely sure how I'm going to shade most of that right side... 12 colors used.. currently. I think I'm probably going to get up to 16. Criticism and advice, are warmly welcomed. I am hoping I will actually.. finish this one. ;D

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Begone SATAN!!! [WIP.. I think]

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:49:55 pm
keep going..
also, keep your planes(the surfaces) in mind. try partitioning similar surfaces which are next to each other, into flat planes so that the viewer can distinguish the forms better.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:14 pm
I am not sure I understand what you mean.. D'you mean something like (Skurwy's piece, in this topic... clicky ) That? Where I map out the planes before hand? If so, I think I'll redo the shading, starting from there.. I might do that anyways. As of now, I have a rather small update..

Kind of BS'ing my way through the right side..
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:57:26 pm
im just saying that the forms could be distinguished more, like its hard to understand the structure of everything and how everything shares space with everything else.. focus on being aware of the space the forms and details take up. how surfaces are oriented and connect with other surfaces. and make sure to exude this information to the viewer

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:22:03 pm
oh I see.. This is going to be a great learning experience I'm feeling ;D I appreciate your input.

EDIT: Well, I've gone to greyscale for now, just to get the shading down, the original palette will be the final palette, with some minor tweaks. Anywho, still working on getting the basic shading down...

Not sure if it's improving, to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:54:14 pm by Malor »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:08:01 pm
Draw some parallel lines on the face to see if everything aligns. The eyebrows, eyes, nose and mouth aren't properly aligned at the moment. His left eye is closer to the nose than the right eye and the eyes themselves are flat. Think how the eyes are inside the skull and the visible part has eyelids above and below. There's nothing under the eyes, so give him some cheekbone. Horns would work better closer together and the other one pointing almost at the viewer to give it some depth. Enlarge the canvas so you can draw the jaw and the neck as well, just for the sake of practice.

Study what makes an expression evil and give him some of those features.
The lower lip could be fuller and upper lip more defined.
Put him in an envirenment suitable of his demonic nature.
I can scetch you something if there are parts you find really difficult.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:54:56 pm
It's getting there....

16 colors currently, I think I won't add anymore. I think I'm going to move back to color sometime soon.. background will be coming at the end. I'm hoping this update addresses a lot of the issues brought up, if not, I greatly encourage edits ;D As always, I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:52 pm

yeah so i'm not the best at the whole volumetrics thing or the planes on a face thing but I think it's helpful enough. you need to establish strong highlights and shadows where necessary,
ummm yeah and you should probably extend the canvas. i didn't do that. there's nothing stopping you from doing the whole head at least.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:46:37 am
Thanks for the edit Alkaline,I see that I should be pushing the values a bit more.. Expect an edit sometime soon, and I guess I will extend the canvas, at least enough to finish up the head. Thanks for the crit.