AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403880 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #140 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:22 pm
look up some andrew loomis books(there available on the web in PDF form). I've been going through his books and there's a lot of good practical info about breaking hte body down into more managable shapes and volumes that will help with the posemaniacs stuff.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #141 on: March 16, 2009, 11:21:58 pm
also: photos. posemaniacs is cool in that it lets you see stuff from a bunch of different angles, but if you want to draw natural-looking people you will learn best by comparing your stuff against real people. (I hear there are photos of naked women on the internet somewhere.) with photo reference it's pretty tempting to just copy the reference exactly, though, rather than deconstruct it.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #142 on: March 17, 2009, 08:44:12 am
Another question I have for you guys/girls is, "Is drawing fun for you?  Do you enjoy drawing?  Also where do you draw, is it at a desk, your bed(someone elses bed?) the floor, a chair, standing up, etc?
Drawing is great fun for me, provided I'm not getting frustrated/hitting walls. But I find that only happens when the direction I'm taking the piece doesn't really make sense when I think about it. I usually draw at the computer, sitting, with my tablet on my lap. If I draw on paper, it's basically the same position.

Finally my last most important question.  Does anyone here draw in photoshop?  If so isn't it hard to get really crisp lines like you would with a pen or a pencil?  Whenever I try drawing in photoshop all of my lines are blurry.  I drew the picture above exclusively in photoshop and the only way to get the lines looking nice was to carve them using the eraser tool.  However doing that takes a large amount of extra time.  Which in turn just rips out whatever vitality the drawing used to have in it.  Anyway to sum this up "Whats the best program to do line art digitally?"
I draw in photoshop. I haven't really looked at it much, but there's a tonne of options for modifying the brush's behaviour. Try playing around with the Hardness property. Also try using a very small diameter brush. I use diameter 4, but usually work pretty lightly with the tablet, so the brush is often a lot smaller. Of course, my stuff is scratchy as hell, though. Just throwing the idea out to you. You might want to check out Manga Studio. (EDIT: Oh can't believe I forgot this, but you can achieve sharper lines in photoshop if you work with a larger than intended canvas size (say double size), then shrink the final image down to intended size)

Your drawing kind of disturbs me, since the girl seems to have the proportions of someone aged 10, or maybe even a little younger... except she has voluptuous breasts. I can't really nail down specific issues that lead to this impression, but I think it's to do with the body being very narrow, especially the shoulders and hips, making the head look alot bigger and nudging the proportions into the direction of `child'. I dunno, it's just the impression I get. Neck is very thin, back muscles might need a little more presence in the area between the ribcage and the arm.

also: photos. posemaniacs is cool in that it lets you see stuff from a bunch of different angles, but if you want to draw natural-looking people you will learn best by comparing your stuff against real people. (I hear there are photos of naked women on the internet somewhere.) with photo reference it's pretty tempting to just copy the reference exactly, though, rather than deconstruct it.
I followed your suggestions here and deviated away from pose maniacs. Very rewarding; here's something I just did:

Unforunately I did a lot of contour-following rather than analysis, but I still think the analysis that I did do paid off.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:10:01 am by EyeCraft »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #143 on: March 17, 2009, 11:33:15 am
Eyecraft: awesome. for crit: I think maybe her knees and wrists are a bit wobbly.

I've been meaning to thank you for the edit, earlier. I haven't had much chance to revisit that picture, but I've gotten some use from your edit.

and Mike's questions:

I don't know if I draw for fun. I draw idly when I've got something I need to draw, or when I'm trying to figure something out, or when I'm avoiding doing some other kind of work. The only reason I'm any good at all is I used to draw in class all the time, when I was supposed to be doing maths or whatever. (I do not recommend this.) It is fun, kind of relaxing - but also taxing, kind of like exercise - for leisure I'd rather play a game or read a book or something.

When I draw in Photoshop, I use the pencil tool, always full opacity, have aa turned off on all the tools. If it's a larger painting sort of thing, I'll still work that way, I feel like I need a fair idea of what the brushes are doing. I don't work with more complex brushes or applied textures. If I need to adjust the opacity of stuff, I'll stick it on its own layer and set the opacity for the whole layer.

This whole setup is kind of limiting, though. I keep meaning to mess with opacity and texture and soft brushes, though I haven't had much luck with that stuff in the past.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:00:31 pm by tocky »

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Reply #144 on: March 21, 2009, 07:20:53 pm

I always start with a sketch on paint before I go to photoshop. O:
Halp halp? o3o -lols, DK64 reference-

Yes, I used Pose Maniacs for reference, but they don't have a female pose like that. >: So. I'm afraid it may be too manly still.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #145 on: March 26, 2009, 01:26:36 am
Your drawing kind of disturbs me, since the girl seems to have the proportions of someone aged 10, or maybe even a little younger... except she has voluptuous breasts. I can't really nail down specific issues that lead to this impression, but I think it's to do with the body being very narrow, especially the shoulders and hips, making the head look alot bigger and nudging the proportions into the direction of `child'. I dunno, it's just the impression I get. Neck is very thin, back muscles might need a little more presence in the area between the ribcage and the arm.

Eyecraft it was not my intent to draw a young girl.  She is supposed to be at least 18 but thanks to my heavy anime influence things kinda got skewed towards a younger character.  This is why I need anatomy help.  Also thanks for your other tips, I'll try those out!

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #146 on: March 30, 2009, 04:28:45 am
Hey, I'm kind of new to this forum. I've been viewing it for quite some time but haven't registered. Well I spotted this thread, and I am pursuing anatomy. Any tips on how to better one's anatomy skills would be very helpful. I also am posting a sketch I did, requesting critique. I haven't finished the rest yet, but am wondering if I'm off to a good start. This is my first attempt to actually try and draw anatomically.

"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

email me at (tim.blake.navy@gmail.com)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #147 on: March 30, 2009, 11:51:22 am

For me it feels right, but I'm not an expert. Is the anatomy "correct"

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #148 on: March 30, 2009, 12:49:19 pm
Difficult say on such a stylized piece BUT I think I have 2 slight issues.

His legs don't appear to connect to the torso in the same place and they don't bend in the same place.

The arms don't suffer from either of these crits in my opinion as the upper torso appears rotated and the placement of the arm's attachments fits this. Also they are both equally bendy (His left leg has a slightly too sharp bend in my mind)

Offline KuroRyuzaki

• View Profile

Reply #149 on: April 12, 2009, 11:53:54 pm

1st try ever =] iv started drawing a bit but this is like the biggest thing iv ever done. any info D: