AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 404092 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #130 on: March 02, 2009, 04:40:29 pm
Those are some nice poses Eyecraft. The head seems a bit off, maybe like it's missing bits from the top? Or the chin is possibly not large enough, or the lips are too low. I can't really say for sure.

I ordered Anatomy and Perspective for the artist (after hunting down an old thread of mine where it was mentioned), so I plan to be posting in here once I get. A steady dose of anatomy sketches is something I'm in need of.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #131 on: March 03, 2009, 06:42:18 pm
I haven't finished anything in a long while, just sketching a bit of something before going to bed every day. Personally i think these are too constructed and i feel claustrophobic looking at them now, but I've been keeping my drawings to myself for too long now so better get some exposure.

@EyeCraft: It's a scary guy but it doesn't look constrained at all so i like it. To say something helpful uhh... well, just do more :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #132 on: March 03, 2009, 08:01:32 pm
Hm yes perhaps too constructed but well that's not something easy to shake off. If anything I see a lot of blank expressions and few 'open-mouth' ones. I would suggest every time you draw a face before you start, think of a nuanced emotion you'd like to convey. Even if it's impossible to coney to the viewer just by a portrait ("well of course she's irritated because her cat pooped on the sofa, what else could she be with that face?!") you'd know if you failed or not. You seem to have face construction down fine enough to start telling emotional stories so why bother doing a full page of disembodied blank faces, you know?

If you want morphological advice, you seem to draw one type of lips almost exclusively, with some variable upper lip size from men to women. I'd try a few different things there. Also why not attempt a few less 'pleasant' faces, you know? Draw ugly people, but try to hit that place where they're ugly but look real, not like some grotesque judgment.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #133 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:58 am
huZba, you ever see this faces tutorial over at conceptart.org?
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105

I haven't got the construction of heads seared into my subconscious just yet, so I'm not quite ready for it, but you look like you've got a pretty good grasp of things and might find it an interesting approach.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #134 on: March 04, 2009, 02:48:17 pm
i'm not really sure what i've done, here:
newer <>older

I got the reductionist disease... I think she's closer to real proportions in the one on the left, but it looks wrong to me.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #135 on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:12 am
Tocky, I'd suggest being more stringent with your construction. Your loose markers gradually get larger. Also consider curvature of spine; ribcage and pelvis are tilted at different angles:

Um, this is kind of a weird edit, and I don't have a tonne of confidence in it, but:

Mainly shoulder area (bit exaggerated). I also tried to give some example planes but they're not... fantastic...

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #136 on: March 12, 2009, 07:50:39 pm
Thanks for the push Helm and Crab2! I've really enjoyed drawing for the past few days.
This came out of a scribble like those in the conceptart.org thread.
Might not be that much better but at least I didn't feel like i was inserting facial features on a mr potato head like the previous ones.

I'll post some more once i pick them up from the messes  :crazy:
-edit- indian joins the party
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:33:55 pm by huZba »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #137 on: March 13, 2009, 04:56:00 am
Hmm, yeah. I would recommend having a look over some faces in profile, and especially skulls, and really look at the curves and protrusion of the mouth and nose. They stick RIGHT out. Importantly, the mouth is like a kind of hemisphere sitting on the face, it really curves.

Looking at both of those, I would say the common element is extremely flat faces, with the nose and mouth too much in the centre of the drawn face.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #138 on: March 13, 2009, 05:52:11 am
Hey HuZba, great characters. I think the cowboy looks a little Asian... I like that. Never seen an asian cowboy before. I messed with the indian man a little bit, mostly for my own benefit. Feel free to ignore this:

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #139 on: March 16, 2009, 06:04:43 pm
I need some help in anatomy as well plus i don't draw nearly enough as I should.  I used to draw everyday but with school and game making my priorities are not set for drawing.  However I do have a picture I drew some time ago(this was my latest non pixeled drawing)  I wish I had something more to show but since this is the latest I'll be assured of not getting redundant critique.  Please please ignore the stupid thing she is doing with the wrench...I don't know what I was thinking.

Also I am at home a lot(my schooling is online) and I rarely get out of the house(I'm a bit of a hermit I guess)  Sucks not having a car.  Anyway I was wondering what is the best substitute for not having a live model?  Is pose maniacs really that good of a anatomy drawing aid?  I want to draw a lot more but I want to make sure if I start again that I will be on a linear track to getting better.  I'm willing to put in the work and the time but I don't want my soul crushed when I find out I've been doing everything wrong(that has happened a few times before)

Another question I have for you guys/girls is, "Is drawing fun for you?  Do you enjoy drawing?  Also where do you draw, is it at a desk, your bed(someone elses bed?) the floor, a chair, standing up, etc? 

Finally my last most important question.  Does anyone here draw in photoshop?  If so isn't it hard to get really crisp lines like you would with a pen or a pencil?  Whenever I try drawing in photoshop all of my lines are blurry.  I drew the picture above exclusively in photoshop and the only way to get the lines looking nice was to carve them using the eraser tool.  However doing that takes a large amount of extra time.  Which in turn just rips out whatever vitality the drawing used to have in it.  Anyway to sum this up "Whats the best program to do line art digitally?"