AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403927 times)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #270 on: July 18, 2010, 02:22:39 pm
Jumping on the bandwagon but I can't make enough time to do as many sketches as prescribed, so I'll just post every now and then, when I found an hour or two in which my neck and arm don't hurt as hell, so I can draw a bit.  ;D (hehe, actually it's gotten a lot better already since I'm doing regular swimming and other physical excercises, hope to be pain-free within the next six months).

So so, resuming where I last stopped... posemaniacs eyeballings:

append, another day (first one eyeballed, second one half constructed, half eyeballed):

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:40:31 pm by Dennis »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #271 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01:03 pm
Yes, Dennis, more like the last one! That is by far the most productive of them, since it addresses the figure as a collection of solids.

Approach the figures with construction. I don't recommend using posemaniacs for learning the anatomy of the figures. Learn the bones and muscles from a more comprehensive text, learn where they connect, when they bulge/stretch, etc. Learn how to construct the figure by building up the muscle shapes from an initial construction of simpler shapes, like your last sketch.

Just some advice :)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #272 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:41 pm
Thanks for the advice EyeCraft.

I did look at bones and skeletal structure before (few years ago(2002) at my first failed attempt at figure drawing (even started writing a book about how to construct the human body from scratch but somehow (as always) life and the need to make a living(or to quit slacking and do something serious (blah yadda noone wants to read me whining for thirtysomething pages ..) got in the way), tried to skip that this time around but I guess you're right, I should get back into that and while I was looking for references online, I found this hilarious (nonetheless highly educational) introduction to the skeleton system (a must see!)) and an online version of the 1918 edition (copyright ran out) of "Anatomy Of The Human Body" by Henry Gray.

Ok, no drawings in this post, but a couple of links to make it worthwhile:
that funny video mentioned above
Grays Anatomy (1918 online edition)
my unfinished old book from 2002 (sorry it's all in German but it has detailed pictures.. just looked at it again though and I must say my approach/thoughts back then was/were way too technical (especially obvious in the appendix))

Now, back to the drawing tablet..

append
I didn't want to go sleeping without having laid down a single line all day, so after skimming over my old writings, this ten minute scribbled abomination came into existence.

I hope to find more time tomorrow for some reading and better construction practice.

append, a day later..
Well today, I collected some facts..

..broke them down to the bare necessities..

..and practiced that a bit.

I really feel that this bone approach is way too tedious for a full construction. I believe it would be more efficient to break down the whole body as seen from outside into simple volumes and then only use bones to determine where certain features show. I can't imagine getting a dynamic and interesting pose done by constructing everything from the bone level up. Ah well, still need to study the skeleton.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:07:05 pm by Dennis »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #273 on: July 22, 2010, 10:19:02 pm
I got nothing to post at the moment but just some recommendations for peeps out there struggling, drawing lots of still life and doing blind contours helps lots. Also got a new book recently thats really good, Figure Drawing - Design and Invention by Michael Hampton, you guys might wanna check it out.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #274 on: July 25, 2010, 08:45:00 am
Not sure if this has been linked to already, but from a first quick browse over it, it seems to be a very interesting (old) thread, following Arran J Lewis, creating 3D models of the various systems of human anatomy.
Probably not the best source for reference images on the skeletal system but I'm having difficulties finding good pictures of bones from all angles, as most images are only secondary sources (drawings or models created by someone else).

Offline Manjaman

• View Profile

Reply #275 on: July 25, 2010, 11:08:23 am
Here are the latest studies I've made :

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #276 on: August 02, 2010, 01:18:33 pm
Returned from Headbangers Open Air yesterday... the silence is still feeling weird.

Struggling with construction (I didn't think it would be that much harder than drawing from reference), need more practice, much more, one drawing every few days is just not enough. How is everyone else motivating themselves? How do you deal with distractions? (friends, family, games..)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #277 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:02 am
Quick, no ref doodley-"construction"(just kept improvising everything after the initial circle), right after coming home from Wacken Open Air this morning (probably with some blood left in my alcohol-system):

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #278 on: August 09, 2010, 07:09:01 pm

By the way Mathias, what is the anatomy book you own? I've been looking into getting one but I'm not sure which I should get.

So sorry Jakten. A little late! I got a couple mediocre books laying around but then I have one that really shines: Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet. My next anatomy quest reference will be one of those ridiculous muscle mags, just for fun.

Nice work so far, everyone.

Dennis, I wouldn't get too caught up in skeletal minutia. I'm sure we're all busy people so we must choose our battles wisely - time is short. Myself, when it comes to bones, I'm concerned mainly with the basic construction and then how certain bones affect a figure's appearance -  for instance how the ileum of the pelvis causes those lateral bulges where the torso connects to upper thighs, scapula cause the protrusions on the upper back, etc. It's great to know what underlying factors are affecting a figure's topography.
I want to memorize all marot bones, be able to draw a proportional skeleton with all major bones in place, and then move on. Same for muscles I guess.
I may try some posemaniacs ref.

I think the key to gaining an understanding of how to draw something is numerous, rapid, exploratory sketches. Repetition makes your brain learn. Brain research tells us that every time the same action causing the same neuron path to be blazed in the brain by electricity, the "memory impression" deepens, solidifying memory - the more you do it, the more you know it.

I'll toss another practice sheet from me into the pile. As you can see, I'm favoring quick sketches. Not trying to create any fine detailed works of art, just trying to gain a grip on the human figure.

Still battling correct proportioning, but in while doing so am slowly gaining a leg up on how everything comes together.

The body is a complex sum of numerous volumes all working together. It's 3D and twists and turns as it wills. I'm trying to get away from 2D flatness. I tend to practice orthographically stale straight-on frontal or profile views.

One area of art that compels me in my goal of anatomical domination is renaissance era paintings. I've always loved them. The wonderful human bodies painted by the oldies back then are inspiring to me. Why not scope out a few neat examples:

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #279 on: August 09, 2010, 09:20:44 pm
Tried a digital painting in Art-Rage, using the virtual crayons, turned out ok I think with a few errors in proportions and placement of some of the bone features. Reference was the front skull view from Grays Anatomy book.