AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 402762 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #230 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:55 pm
you're mostly right, but don't neglect the shape of the tibia, is has a built-in ridge even in the most pefect examples which does bow out and the profile of which can easily be felt.  the strong devision there in the sketch between light and shade is not an illustration of the fibula, but of that ridge.

in the end what it comes down to is being able to observe the way contour and light changes over the form and figuring out how it will change when the form moves.  for the shin, the important part is not necessarily whether the bowing is due to the tibia or fibula, but that the bow is a constant because it is defined by a bone.  the calf on the other hand will change size and position based on the movement of the leg. the adductors are quite visible when the figure stands with the leg closed, but open they smooth out almost completely.  under the hip, your gluteus medius (occasionally called the hip adductor) along with the tensor wrap around the hip and create a soft form between the hard crest of the hip and the hard top-point of the femur.  the sartorius, the only function of which is to assist all other functions, wraps around and adds a predictable irregularity to the vastus muscles (favoring the inner bottom and the upper middle for form.  the kneecap in a standing position sticks out from the lower point of the femur, but in a bent-knee position is more or less a smooth extension in the direction of the upper leg while the tibia and fibula drop.

my point - it's not really helpful to learn what a leg looks like because it changes so much.  what's best is to learn why it looks like that so that you can construct the basic forms of it without reference and, more frequently in a game-oriented world, in stylization and abstraction (things i still struggle with).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #231 on: June 27, 2009, 02:33:48 am
Ow. Comprehensive. Have to pull book out again and see which muscles are which. Bones looked easy to learn. Muscles look ... mad... so much practice required!

Oh well, not like there's any other option.

Unless... unless, that is, I stick to designing worlds where the only residents are giant spheres that roll by ejecting streams of gas through holes about their body. I suppose that'd make for some interesting armour/weapon upgrades...

Ach, muscles it is. :)

Edit - I don't know how close this is to what I SHOULD be reading, but I did find it handy whem stumbled across via google a few days ago, when looking up just how mild the difference between human skeletons was. Goes through all sorts of anatomy, human and animal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:45:27 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #232 on: June 27, 2009, 01:59:46 pm
Oh that's a really nice link.

I burst out laughing when I got to the end, realizing that all the attention spent on learning both human and animal anatomies was SO YOU CAN DRAW FURRIES.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #233 on: June 27, 2009, 02:06:45 pm
I struggled so hard not to give that punch line away. XD

Edit: I didn't want to hijack this thread too much so all the chatter re pixel anatomy studies are in the other thread, but since it's under-the-skin maybe this is appropriate. I doubt I'll do a muscle version this size, but will probably sketch that up to pixel better. And yes, they're missing something like 3 ribs on either side and extra forearm and lower leg bones.  ::)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:14:04 pm by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline eckered

• View Profile

Reply #234 on: July 16, 2009, 01:39:59 pm

just thought id pop in and say thank you for this,
seeing the breakdown of a leg's anatomy in a simplified, color coded form really helped me to understand the way legs work.  ive been drawing from this sketch ever since i first saw it in scribblettes thread :)

edit:  these were the first leg sketches i did based on that drawing. 
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7083/img3727.jpg

and a sketch of my own that i wouldnt mind being critiqued
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/281/img3728.jpg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:49:38 pm by eckered »

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #235 on: September 07, 2009, 12:34:36 am
Spent a good amount of time drawing some feet today, I need to get back into drawing from life. I feel as though my skills are waning. Still having trouble understanding foreshortening and the way hands and feet are constructed.

Also a hand.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #236 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:53 am
Wow, after reading through this thread I'm really amazed at some of the quality, I am really just stumped at finding a better word than amazed.
Flabbergasted?
Awed?
Well, I need a thesaurus if I want more right now but I have some art I'd just like to pin up on the fridge here.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/crazyMLC/drawing.png
Probably my best human drawing. >_<
I think that's kinda pitiful now, so I'm just going to study all of these pictures...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:50:50 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #237 on: October 09, 2009, 07:11:38 pm
personally if that was mine the crit I think would help me the most was to work on line quality. It's not really making progress learning if you consistently tweak and carve lines, or rather HUGE MASSES OF SPIKY GRAPHITE. If you have nice lines I believe you learn and solidify the shapes and forms in your head. Like reciting a poem, the more you do it the more effortless and flowing it becomes, the poem becoming second nature to you. metaphors oh ho ho . _ .

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #238 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:53 am

First attempt at some concept art styled photoshop work. That sentence reads pretty horribly.

I had some issues with her chest, breasts, and collar bone region. I think that it ended up alright, but the hands kind of make it difficult to actually know cohesively. I can still see some minor flaws where the areas are exposed, and I think the problem is that the area is too flat and masculine. The neck, too, looks a little problematic. Then, there's her right forearm being much too long. That was more of an oversight than actual error though. And with those poofy sleeves it's hardly the biggest concern. Overall there is a note of fantasy in the features (notably the ears), but, for the most part, I was going for realism.

All the edges are meant to line up with other things, as this was a "quilt" activity.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #239 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:10 pm
Recently, I'm trying to force myself to draw more, draw lots and then some more, trying to become good at drawing/figure drawing.
This thread has been very helpful so far to me and next to other things played a big role both inspiration and motivationwise.

So here's about two weeks of fast studies, free doodles and also some slow studies(where I try to copy everything by eyeballing).

For the studies, I used the posemaniacs page that had been linked to earlier somewhere in this thread.
(Reduced all images to 50% and 8bit to save bandwidth.)

I'm struggling with the constructional approach a lot (as you can tell for example by the image where I tried to envision how to tie a woman to a pole(don't ask)) and I've already grabbed all those Loomis books that were also linked to somewhere in here, so thanks again everyone for this thread, it's pure gold.