AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 403942 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #190 on: October 09, 2009, 07:11:38 pm
personally if that was mine the crit I think would help me the most was to work on line quality. It's not really making progress learning if you consistently tweak and carve lines, or rather HUGE MASSES OF SPIKY GRAPHITE. If you have nice lines I believe you learn and solidify the shapes and forms in your head. Like reciting a poem, the more you do it the more effortless and flowing it becomes, the poem becoming second nature to you. metaphors oh ho ho . _ .

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #191 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:53 am

First attempt at some concept art styled photoshop work. That sentence reads pretty horribly.

I had some issues with her chest, breasts, and collar bone region. I think that it ended up alright, but the hands kind of make it difficult to actually know cohesively. I can still see some minor flaws where the areas are exposed, and I think the problem is that the area is too flat and masculine. The neck, too, looks a little problematic. Then, there's her right forearm being much too long. That was more of an oversight than actual error though. And with those poofy sleeves it's hardly the biggest concern. Overall there is a note of fantasy in the features (notably the ears), but, for the most part, I was going for realism.

All the edges are meant to line up with other things, as this was a "quilt" activity.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #192 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:10 pm
Recently, I'm trying to force myself to draw more, draw lots and then some more, trying to become good at drawing/figure drawing.
This thread has been very helpful so far to me and next to other things played a big role both inspiration and motivationwise.

So here's about two weeks of fast studies, free doodles and also some slow studies(where I try to copy everything by eyeballing).

For the studies, I used the posemaniacs page that had been linked to earlier somewhere in this thread.
(Reduced all images to 50% and 8bit to save bandwidth.)

I'm struggling with the constructional approach a lot (as you can tell for example by the image where I tried to envision how to tie a woman to a pole(don't ask)) and I've already grabbed all those Loomis books that were also linked to somewhere in here, so thanks again everyone for this thread, it's pure gold.

Offline CodeGeorge

• Spriter Looking For Work!
    • View Profile

Reply #193 on: November 15, 2009, 09:02:07 pm
I don't draw.  I stopped when I was a kid.  That said sadly I'm in graphic design lol.  I sprite too.  Sometimes I need to draw!  So I decided to take it up again.  Before I'd just heavily rely on proportion charts and stuff and spend way too much time on my work that had to do with realistic anatomy.  Instead of taking all day on drawing a hand I've decided to actually do this stuff again.

So again, I don't draw...  not with a pencil.

Here's my first (unfinished) attempt at female anatomy:

I was keeping the pose simple since it's my first time.  It's done in photoshop entirely.  No tracing, just like 10 references.  I've still got to memorize proportions and stuff...  I actually drew a lot as a kid and drew stupidly well for my age at the time.  I kind of wish I didn't ditch it. 

What's the best way to learn this stuff? 
My temporary and tiny portfolio.  Real portfolio website coming soon!
http://codegeorge.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #194 on: November 16, 2009, 08:24:29 pm
I'm still not sure what I'm going to achieve by all this line by line eye to hand to pen translation process but if my eyes don't fool me, I think I'm making progress, getting better at eyeballing at least. :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #195 on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:40 pm
Yes, yes you are making a LOT of progress like this. The idea is to eventually start to do more work without the reference and then checking with the reference to see where you went wrong. I suggest you look at a pose for 5 minutes and then not look at it while you draw it. Then check where you're off. I guarantee that if you do this for a few weeks you won't believe how much better you've gotten at working without reference.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #196 on: November 17, 2009, 09:17:41 pm
Thanks for the suggestion Helm, sounds like a good plan, I'll start doing those "5 min. peek - hide - draw - check" exercises soon, after a couple of more days of copying.

Here's todays results (some 30 second sketches and another slow copy):

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #197 on: November 17, 2009, 09:36:09 pm
Ahh! Pracitcing and studying anatomy has been the biggest thing I've been doing these past few months.

You can see my full journey from start to now http://www.punaji.com/topic/adams-art here.

Here's some of the most recent.

I'll throw up some bone structure drawings and some underlying muscle ones up later, hopefully :crazy:

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #198 on: November 20, 2009, 08:18:48 pm
Some of those are using Bridgman's as a base, right? I like that you aren't just trying to copy line for line, but you're adding and interpreting as well. It seems to flow with the advice given by this guy on what he thinks you should be doing when copying Bridgmans
http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/07/perspiration-anatomy.html

I really like the curving lines of the female seated figure on the 4th drawing. It's a nice, relaxed pose.

The yellow/orangey lighting is kinda harsh on your pics, though. Isn't there a photshop filter for fixing that sort of thing?

I think I'm going to try out that 5 minute thing Helm suggested. I kinda feel like my short term memory has gone to hell since I started using the Internet. Like I'm not exercising it as much anymore.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #199 on: January 02, 2010, 08:16:32 am
During school we had some life drawing classes but they were fairly basic, they basically just told us to draw the person in front of is with various exercises never teaching us how to understand what's really going on. Lately I've been watching some videos on how to draw anatomy. I figure I need to get back into trying to understand the body in this way as I know it's a lot more important than my reluctant, lazy mind keeps telling me.

I drew two heads and some noses with some reference previous to watching the video. This is mostly just my notes but I'm quite proud of how much more I understand the human skull now after only about an hour. The lower skull I drew as notes along with the video, the upper skull was one I did about 20 minutes afterward on my own.

One of my new years resolutions is to study and practice drawing every day, so good start to the new year so far!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:39:01 am by Jakten »