AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 402758 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:08 pm
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

I didn't notice the ball till you said it, helm, but compared to the muscles it's hardly an offence.

As for crits, his shirt is flattening the crap out of his chest. Make it follow the contours of his pecs... all his muscles, for that matter, so that you don't lose so much volume. Also, avoid the tangent lines you've got in places for the shirt, it's not helping the whole volume issues as it makes the shirt look tattooed on rather than worn.

I dislike how his neck is wrinkly and how his face kinda melts into it, but that might just be personal preference.

You also seem to be missing an entire muscle between the pec and shoulder. Look at the man with the exposed ball, he has some peculiar muscle located where the straps of your man's shirt are.

One last thing, you seem to have a set way of drawing elbows when they're anything close to 90 degree bends viewed from the side. I could be wrong, but I believe that's a pattern you might want to break out of!

@Ryumaru (or anyone, really)

Thanks ("Very good gestures" :O), and I agree that my drawings lack structure, but I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out where to get started on that problem. Any chance you've got any tips?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:16:16 pm by Willows »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:04 pm
Draw with basic forms- cubes and spheres. You will never have structure in anything when you draw with lines.( obviously not meant literally)
Bridgeman's anatomy books are wonderful because they show the body as interlocking " wedging" masses.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 05:02:40 pm

drawing an arm withdrawing a sword from the back is quite tough.

any suggestions?

also i think the rest of the anatomy is getting better :)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:53 pm
Your own body can be a very useful reference. Check out what happens when you lift your arm like that. Pay attention to your shoulder area. Just flexing around you can get a good feeling about the range of movement of the joints and so forth. Do what Ryumaru suggested. Use primitives to block out the character and see if it makes sense in a 3D space. Go ahead and draw more NAKED MEN and don't obscure or leave out areas like you did with the face and feet. Just draw them all in, you'll be later thankful that you did.

Proportions are better than before, but still a bit all over the place cause i can't eyeball a point of reference to determine the scale everything.
Try and re-iterate this picture by checking out what you like about this one and playing around with areas that don't seem so good. Draw in a bit of a hurry and don't be too specific about things, just doodle away and you'll end up with happy accidents when your eye picks up something that looks nice. Even if you can't remember everything about the human body, you still recognize one when you see it. Let the subconscious side do a bit of work for you.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:22 pm
Feron, this drawing reveals 2-dimensional thinking. If your character were trapped in a petri dish then this is how he would reach behind his back. But in 3 dimensions his elbow would move forward towards us, instead of to the side.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 02:48:52 pm
well i found some of my grandfathers ink pens, so i thought i'd try them out on a new anatomy sketch.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 03:27:10 pm
reference charts again. Second head ends at where the nipples are, third head ends at navel, fourth head ends at genitals.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 07:47:09 am
You should probably draw both sides of the body. Also don't bother with detail until you've got the whole thing sketched.

He's colossal!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:49 am
I'm not exactly good at anatomy. But, I have some basic knowledge of it. Made an edit. Also just for some practice for myself I guess :D.
I still think he looks quite large but w/e.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: July 23, 2008, 02:42:09 pm
The overpaint's getting there, though the shapes all around still seem improvised, knees are way too far down. I don't think there's much point to practicing anatomy without references. And if you have trouble eye-balling the proportions use aids like grids and guidelines.. and start out rough to block out the proportions

I counted 7 1/2 heads in the reference (not Tom Hanks) and used those as basic reference point.