AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 402808 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Official Anatomy Thread

on: June 23, 2008, 01:25:14 pm
Hello and welcome to the official anatomy thread.  Many pieces posted in the pixel-art board seem to get repeated critique about flawed anatomy.  This thread is here to post your studies and progress in learning anatomy.

Learning anatomy can and should take years; you will become a better artist because of it.  After many anatomical failures with pixel-art I have taken to pencil sketching.  I recommend you do the same, as it is the most efficient and accurate way of practising.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Helm for his nagging to get me to begin this process :P, as well as his invaluable time helping me out.  Thanks Bro!

Now I would like to share with you the progress I have made in about a week.  Not only to get some more feedback, but also to inspire people.  I am by no means a good artist but I think there is definite progress in my work.  Study and practise are the keys.

URLs removed ("dead" links) -Crow

Of course all of these aren’t still there yet, but I am getting closer, and I can see where I’m going wrong.

I have gathered quite a lot of resources, mainly from Helm, Ptoing and Google images.

I think it is probably best to begin with the human skeleton: URL removed ("dead" link) -Crow

Followed by a few technical diagrams: URL removed ("dead" link) -Crow

And finally photo reference:  URL removed ("dead" link) -Crow

Hopefully this thread will help people improve their anatomy sketching, and will share with us their progress.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:36:55 pm by Crow »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:27:25 pm
This thread is officially sanctioned and stickied  :mean:

help each other and help yourselves. I will be posting here regularily. Critique to come.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:22:14 pm
A few weeks ago (okay last month) was the last time I did any anatomical, er, studies. I should be doing them a few hours a day now that it's summer, but I got caught up in programming.  >:(

www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/anato.jpg

I know, I should have used references, but I didn't have my computer. That's something I really gotta fix, because I'll never learn what things actually are, only what I percieve them to be, without SCIENCE .

Anyway if you uh can't tell what they are it's a profile and an arm with WHAT I THINK TO BE ( ::)) forshortening but I'm 999% sure I did that wrong. I remember reading in Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy (Which is back in the damn library) that a form emerging from the background towards the camera will lose length but not width. wee. Looking back on it now the upper arm should have been coming from the right or center, I broke that person's arm.  :crazy:

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:23:23 pm
great! what about having some sort of exercises we could practise here? maybe you, Helm, would want to prepare something for us? I mean one or two simple drawing tasks that would help us to embrace the concept of anatomy better. not feeling competent enough, I couldn't come up with anything useful.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:52:57 pm
I'll try and post more later. Maybe it will inspire me to continue on with my in depth studies : D

( This page mostly copied from Mentler at Ca.org)

Let me know if you want these as links instead of images.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:25 pm
Okay, I'll bite. No refs or anything. Also I can't draw hands. :( Also penisguidelines (tm) are off center. Halp would be appreciated mucho.

http://cow.lastchancemedia.com/doodles/tmp14.jpg

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:25:08 am
Original pieces were:

Salaryman

Sad girl

Critique received and heeded from posts:

Sherman

Arachne

Ben

Willows

huZba

For which I thank them greatly. Most points addressed to the best of my ability. Here are the newest pieces:

Only piece of critique I didn't go for is the gun crit, I really don't care to have super-realistic guns, it's a gun. Oh and salary dudes leg is still bent at an impossible angle, but I sorta like that bit so I keep it!

Now, here are some replies to the other posts in this thread:

Cow: not bad at all! Work with a more precise medium next time (or at a bigger size at least) so the grain doesn't cover up mistakes. The body anatomy is pretty much ok from my point of view, but you gotta draw hands, lots of them. Forget the hair on the head for an anatomy model, don't obstruct the facial features, draw as analytical as possible, these are SCIENCE!! drawings, not 'let's express a character' art pieces. Do not cut off such pieces at any point, draw it all, draw the legs, draw everything. Is this from reference, from life? Keep it up!

Ryumaru: ace stuff, very rigorous. Impressive that you're working the bones below the body. You'll certainly be going places, fast. I have no real critique for you, you know more about bones and arms and backs than I do. Please, please give critique and paintovers to other participants in the thread though. Giving back is wonderful.

Skurwy: yeah, perhaps some exercises later on, sure! When I have some free time.

Atnas: same here for my lack of SCIENCE. The thing is, I come from a comic-art background (uh, I think it shows) and not a fine-art background. In my field, copying reference is usually considered lifting, art-theft, exactly because in your finished comic you don't have at the end some sort of archive of used reference and pictures to be honest. So if there's a precious thing in my field (at least in most cases) is a strong inner eye for construction, characterization and storytelling. Anatomy is important as far as it communicates emotion and character. You'll notice that almost all of my character art is like this. I am no anatomy expert by any chance, since I literally have learnt anatomy 97% by memory and trying to find applicative construction of the human form in a story-telling medium. I need to bust out the SCIENCE much, much more too, and I hope this thread will help me. In the end I will always work from memory for my proper comic-art because it's an issue of ethos (plus I do not have delusions of being a fine artist. If it reads, if it is placed in its proper field, if it emotes, it works for me) but I'd rather learn the SCIENCE and then rest it aside than hide behind my finger. So yes, this thread will be very good for me too, especially since I'm going to be drawing a lot of comic pages the next few months and I'll need your help much more in those than in pixel art.

The arm you drew does not obey a reasonable foreshortening. The upper arm is really short compared to the fore. The actual construction of the fore is convincing enough as far as I'm concerned. The head is much more problematic. Start with a perfect circle when doing head construction, right now it's a bit misshapen. Avoid scribbling, every line should be intentful. Don't shade vague areas as much as define with your pencil, in straight lines (think like a low-poly 3d artist. Look at what ryu did with the shoulder-blade bone, first a triangle, then a polyhedron, then a full shape, then rendered) the different areas of overlapping shading. Think in volumes, not details. High contrast is the friend of the anatomy discipline because it forces you to deal in clean volumes, not implications of volumes, not promises of volumes. As a comic artist I am a bit biased here, but I say: if you can't render it in 3 values (black, mid-tone, white) then you cannot render it at all and more rendering can save it but it will just distract from your disability.

Study ears (also Helm: study ears), study eyes (same, Helm) don't scribble. If you want a paint-over, shout.

Feron: we've talked in private on these pieces, I think more ground-up arm studies will help, and never stop revising the full-body diagram until you feel confident enough to let it rest for a while, and work on heads then.

edit: because the sadgirl edits are pretty nitpicky, here's an anim that will override your eye memory

More substantial changes than they seemed at first, huh? 2 is newer, and hopefully better, btw
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:46:09 am by Helm »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:37 am
Helm: Thankyou, and yes sir!

Cow: some things
- Odd angles might be messing things up
- head a bit too small
-chest( pectoralis major) too small, the standard is one head height, I myself have a measurement of about 3/4 of a head, but 1/2 is much to small
-ribcage a bit too small, should go down further
-crotch should be higher, one head- chest, two heads- naval, 3 heads- crotch
- arm a bit too long, although not an impossible length, just irregular. bottom of the ulna( makes up the end of the elbow) should be AT the navel when arms are completely down

- good job on the abs
- nice rendering
Hope this helps.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:02:02 am
Thank you for taking the time out to help, Helm. I'll pull out Hogarth and STUDY the masses of the head, as well as concentrating specifically the ears. :)

Silly me I forgot about digital. I saw "anatomy thread" and headed straight for my sketchbook, for some reason. (not like I can render well yet or anything)

These are rather old but I did do touch ups just last week to update them with anything I may have learned. If anything, the eyes are outdated and I will do a newer one.

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/eye.jpg

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/010308-3.jpg (very old, it needs tilt and a firmer foundation, and the hand should rest more on it's own without help of a muscle)

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/032108.jpg

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/anatarm.jpg (the top one was actually a thumbnail for a larger study in acrylic but my school stole the painting)

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/anatsplish.jpg

http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/eyelitestud.jpg

These are all rather old in comparison to what I showed earlier, save for most of the digital.

Enough of old art! I'll start studying immediately and post it for analysis.  ;D

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19:50 pm
Atnas: Foreshortening is a bitch plain and simple,
im not even sure I got it completely right
(I rotated to to make it easier to understand)