AuthorTopic: My game's graphics (Updated June 26th)  (Read 16872 times)

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Re: My game's graphics (Updated June 22nd)

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 03:29:31 am
So how about if after the last frame I make it go backwards more to the ground without the slash effect as if he can't control it once he has it in full swing, and his entire upper torso pivots...

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:49:17 am
too many to really name, so i've done an edit of how i feel he should move.

remember, up, down left and right are only *implied* directions in a 2d envionrment. you still have to deal with perspective and most importantly, lnes that are not strictly verticaland diagonal.
also, i would try to avoid using the cardinal directions as much as possible to make things feel more lifelike. when your motion is dictated by quarter-clock position, the end result is rather mechanical. Unless it' s absolutely neccesary, i'd avoid using the 3-6-9-12 (think hands of the clock) positions. Instead, us the 4-7-10-1 position. this will probably look and feel more natural.. true, they're a bit harder to work with, but i'm pretty sure you can do it if you play with it for a bit.

It didn't make sense to me for him to swing a two handed weapon with one hand, especially if he begins the motion using both hands. unless he's swinging a baseball bat, in which case the motion would be entirely different. As such i had him hold onto it, because you need power for the follow-through of the swing as well or else he's risk losing contrl of it, or worse, letting go of it altogether.

my edit.
Swinging a sword requires a lot of body movement. just keep that in mind. I stated in some other thread, don't think of the sword moving, think of the person movin the sword. all of the sword's motions should come secondary, and more naturally. the body would also pivot - all the 'power' of a swing is in the hips - pivot them! you see what i mean? it's a dedicated action! if you're going for a more baseball-playerish style and approach, watch some baseball players. see how they move; even then they move their entire bodies in the swing. gives it more power and motion.

I really should start working on my own animations, they still need a lot of work :\
i've learned a lot just editing other peoples stuff :)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:16:00 am by Corsair »

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:53 pm
I really like your edit, and I think I'm going to find it extremely useful, especially at the end where you made it look heavy. You wouldn't mind if I just took yours and improved it would you?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 02:47:32 pm
Don't do that.

I'd suggest having his beside you while you work for reference. If you just edit his, you wouldn't be creating your own animation, and it's important to develop your own talent and not to finish other's work. If you don't do completely on your own, you wouldn't learn anything. ;)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:01:18 pm
I really like your edit, and I think I'm going to find it extremely useful, especially at the end where you made it look heavy. You wouldn't mind if I just took yours and improved it would you?

NOW i wouldn't directly *mind* but the animaton i did would need a ton of work before it would be really satisfactory as a standalone animation, and you'd learn more if you did it from scratch yourself. now if you want to play round with it as it is, sure, go ahead, but i wouldn't *use* that as a  template for your final result. It's obvious you've got some skill - don't be afraid to use it. it might be some work, but the more work you put into it, the more it will show, and you definitely want something that is uniquely your own.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 04:26:56 pm
When you attack someone with a sword you don't move your back foot.
Normally you either take a step forward or you stand still.

Also the stance looks more like a tennis playing cowboy than anyone that would be wielding swords.

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:57:46 pm
Harsh. I'll see what I can do to improve it and post it tomorrow.

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:43 am
Sorry for double post but...

Old on left. New on right. I know it's still one handed but there's a lot of other stuff I have to do for this game and I can't get hung up on one thing.

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Re: My game's graphics (Updated June 23rd)

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:43 am
It's a really nice animation, very fluid.  However I think it would look better with the sword be swung from above his head to the ground, or from side to side.  Because if you look at sword fighting people rarely swing from the bottom up unless they have already swung downwards to the ground.  Other than that it looks fine to me!

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Re: My game's graphics (Updated June 23rd)

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 03:54:29 am
He's going to swing top down in the next part of the combo, and then I'm gonna finish it off with a two handed thrust.