AuthorTopic: My game's graphics (Updated June 26th)  (Read 16875 times)

Offline Masked

• View Profile

My game's graphics (Updated June 26th)

on: June 22, 2008, 07:13:18 pm
I'm making a game. With Stencyl. It's going to be an RPG with a modern setting and a battle system most closely comparable to Eternal Sonata's (From what I've heard. I've never played it.::)). So I'd like to just dump my sprites and stuff here when I finish them so I can get advice and feedback. OK? OK. Good. :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:00:15 am by Masked »

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Re: My game's graphics

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:56:18 pm
the sword swing has no power to it.. he should wind up and possibly use both arms. he'd probably turn his entire body more also. ps hail satun >:D
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Re: My game's graphics (Updated June 22nd)

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:13:15 pm
What about if it was part of a combo which got progressively stronger?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:21:12 pm
It would still look weightless. It's very important in games to have weight and substance. Otherwise you can't trick the player into believing your game world.
You also need to be consistent about your decisions. Do you want your characters to be paper like? Your idle guy is animated by nudging different parts in a rhythm, but the girl isn't. You have to pick your path on that one. Now side by side it kinda feels like your just being lazy with the guy. The girl jumping back and forth might get annoying if there's any real time elements in the gameplay.

Do you have any mockup to show these characters where they're supposed to be? That would help us help you a lot.
They're cheery and funny in their own way so this could end up really cool with some work, so keep working on it.

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:15:54 pm
I don't have any tiles yet so I can't do a mockup. The girl only jumps back and forth when it's not her turn. I'll definitely edit the guy to make him more dynamic and I'll add weight to his weapon, as he's supposed to be more of a heavy swordsman in contrast to the main character who fights with a short sword. What did you mean by paper like? Is that how they look now?  ???

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:24:04 pm
Yeah, if that's her idle pose it's way too busy. It also doesn't make much sense to be jogging on the spot like that if you're in a fight.. ave satanas
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:58 am
She's supposed to be a hyper character. It's supposed to be like ridiculously over the top martial arts.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:08 am
Hey Masked!  First off I want to say that I like these a lot.  They have a lot of character, and in general I think your pixel skills are pretty solid.  To any veteran pixel artist or animator, however, your animations definitely come off mainly as LAZY, and secondly MECHANICAL.  I think these are pretty intertwined though, a lot of the time mechanical animations are really just a symptom of laziness.  And, really laziness here can also be like Maniacal Deadlines or other such things.

What I'm trying (and likely failing) to say is that you are repeating or re-using too much of the art from your basic pose.  It is going to be essentially impossible to finish imbuing your animations with character and personality if you only do little vertical or horizontal shifts for the most part.  You need to man up, get your balls out of your purse, and go ahead and redraw each frame of the animation fresh!  You clearly have some character design or traditional art skills, and I have no doubt that you would do a really fantastic job if you just buckled down and properly tweened your frames, and worked on your extreme poses a bit.

I would absolutely disregard the comments about the animation being too busy or too extreme, and just work on adding weight and power to the existing style (which means drawing each frame!) This is already quality work, but it will require a little more of your time in order to really excel!

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03:33 am
In light of Adam's post, this might be kinda dumb (:P) but here it is. I think this is better. Naturally I'll add a transition to it to it looks smoother when he returns to his original pose.

Original               Revised
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:06:14 am by Masked »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 03:22:51 am
        I am not entirely sure why you have outlined the character's skin with a dark red in some places, where you've used black in others. I would suggest using either no outlines at all, or stick to a single color ( I would choose black, but that's just preference). Also, while the attack animation is improved, I think you should try and convey more weight in the animation, remember; a large amount of energy is exerted to swing a large hunk of metal in such a fashion, and I think the animation should convey as much. I am looking forward to seeing these little guys(and gals, respectively) progress. Carry on. ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.