AuthorTopic: Please Criticise "my" art  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Kyo

• View Profile

Please Criticise "my" art

on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:45 am
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

Me and a friend of mine are currently making a game, and we're doing the art together. I was posting some concept art on the GP32X forums, and somebody told me I should sign up here to get criticism and improve my art. Note that all of the images below are collabs between me and said friend:

Constructive criticism and help are well appreciated!  :)

edit: and to give you a basic idea how it would look... moonwalking:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:17:11 pm by Kyo »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Please Criticise "my" art

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:32:49 pm
The shading serves no purpose. It's not giving form to your character. It's a simple linear gradient applied to every surface. Also it's hardly noticable. The dithering is there just for the sake of dithering and doesn't serve a purpose. You need to start doing things with some thought behind them. What is the reason for adding shading? To make it more 3-dimensional. Now you're doing the exact opposite. Your killing off the suggested shapes of the outline.

What you need is an excercise in FUNDAMENTALS! Pick a simple real life object and shade it based on what you see and try and see the whys behind it. Anything you learn will be of great use in the future.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:40:33 am
agreed about the dithering. there's really no reason for it to be there when smoother shading tosimply put in this case would look better.

Offline Kyo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:08:11 am
Well thanks for the honest critique, I guess I'll have to work on that.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:23:54 am
I'd skip the head bobbing.
The way the head is moving suggests that he is limping or that his left leg is longer than his right leg.
The right arm moves from side to side while his left arm also moves up and down, I can't tell with is better though.
His crotch area seems to be moving up and down.

I agree with the shading, it serves no purpose.

Otherwise, since this is a 4 frame walk, I think you're on the right way. Alot of beginners would mirror the legs two and two but you have 4 distinct leg frames which is great.
I hope you don't drop this animation and starts on something new.

Offline Kyo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 04:04:41 pm

from left to right: old shading, no shading, new shading, new shading with more contrast

What do you think?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:24:01 am
Hello. Here's an edit.

Your sprite has character, and a good design. However the colors and shading aren't as thought-out as they could be. I suggest searching Pixelation posts for the terms "color theory" (or colour theory) "hue shifting" "tinting" and so on for concepts of color you might find interesting. If you'd like personal explanation of why I used my colors as I did I could try. I am sure you'll figure out a lot just from studying the sprite up-close in your pixel program of choice. Keep it up :)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:44:40 am
Why is his tie outside of his jacket?

Offline Kyo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:03:42 pm
oh my, that's amazing. I'll definitely do as you suggest and hopefully our version will get as good as yours :)
I appreciate the help!

Also, his trie is outside of his jacket for no partcular reason. I just thought it'd fit the character of a door-to-door salesman (that's what he is)