AuthorTopic: Some characters  (Read 17598 times)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Some characters

Reply #60 on: May 24, 2021, 01:24:09 am
That is glorious and exactly what I needed!  :y:

To be continued.

EDIT:

I did like the look of the helmet tilted back, but it didn't feel quite right for what I'm trying to do here. Uh, and I need to fix that banding.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:24:11 am by cels »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 01:53:38 am
I did like the look of the helmet tilted back, but it didn't feel quite right for what I'm trying to do here. Uh, and I need to fix that banding.

Hmmm... What about extending the arm that's holding the sword? Because he's carrying the axe, but is threatening to use the sword. Looks like.

I'm thinking something like...

I don't know if that chestplate makes sense in your historical context, but that form, like he's with a puffed up chest, makes it look cool, IMO.

Wait, he's meant to have a cape? Let's give him a big honking cape, or something like a bear pelt:

(that's actually an excuse to give him the appearance of having bigger traps. :P)

On the guy with the shield, I like it how dynamic it looks, but him holding the spear so close to the tip makes him feel very protective IMHO, very defensive. I don't know if that's the intention, or if it's a byproduct of you wanting to use a perfect 45 degree angle on the spear, because it looks better in pixel art. It's as smooth as it gets without being perfectly vertical or horizontal, yet because of that you need to have that tip a little too close to his body, otherwise it would be stuck onto the ground.

You could try making that spear a 2-1 instead of a 1-1:

Though now one of the arrows gets parallel with the back of the spear and would need to be changed...

So let's put that at a 45 degree angle:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:07:16 am by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: May 25, 2021, 11:46:14 am
Thanks for the edits!

- Since you asked about historical context, this is a fantasy universe and the current set of characters are the equivalent of Kievan Rus + Normans who were formerly invaded by the equivalent of Greek / Ottomans. So there's some eastern European and some Norse inspiration, obviously, and also onion-shaped hats and towers. However, no Mongols, no Cumans and no Lamellar armour.
- Since it is a fantasy universe, I'm not necessarily trying to recreate 1:1 the evolution of plate armor or anything like that. But since the barbute was supposedly inspired by ancient Romans and Greeks, I thought it would be cool to have a knightly order who took that a step further and really tried to imitate their ancient Greek / Ottoman invaders. Hence the Barbute / Corinthian helmet and the muscular chest plate. I've tried to find more references of renaissance armor imitating Greek and Roman armor, but I didn't find very much (only this). It's ok, it's fantasy.  :)
- Blue steel plate armor with a barbute and Greek / Roman chestplate. Maybe a bit anachronistic. But then again, this is a universe with dragons and I think dragons disappeared sometime around the 12th century.
- Good idea to extend the sword arm. I also made it bigger (Thundercats hooo)
- Good idea to have a cape. I wasn't sure if I wanted one but now that is settled. Goes well with the viking culture without going full horned helmet.
- Fair point about the spear, I guess it would be pretty unwieldy to hold it so close to the spearhead anyway, except right before throwing it. However, I'm still a bit undecided. Although my version was less realistic and more defensive, it did reinforce the dynamic of him leaning back as he's under attack. On the other hand, I wanted these guys to look like attacking conquerors. Bah, I'm taking this too seriously. Let's be honest: I'm not sure Netflix is even going to call me.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: May 25, 2021, 02:43:39 pm
Let's be honest: I'm not sure Netflix is even going to call me.

:lol: They just might!
I'd answer this post with a meme if I were allowed to post that.
https://imgur.com/f8qcAlt

In order to make that pectoral armor not appear too flat, you may want to consider:

(I made it rounder, but then it was too round. :lol:)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:01:48 pm by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: May 25, 2021, 06:52:13 pm
Oh yeah! I kept trying to make the pectoral armor more 3D and it just ended up as a spherical manboob. Of course it needs to slant a little. Just another reminder that I need to spend more time on anatomy studies. Great edit! Now he looks more like a proper historical dragon-riding Spartan viking from Siberia.

I think I'm pretty happy with these 11, unless there are some glaring mistakes.

Now I just need to add detail and correct mistakes on my babooshka, the dancing cowherd girl, the spear dude and the two-eyed Odin Claus.