AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprites and things~  (Read 8012 times)

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprites and things~

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 01:00:40 pm
Ah, that makes sense. I'll have another go at the walk/run cycles tomorrow, but for now I have shrunken the heads somewhat:

I want them too be large, but not as large as they were before; I don't know how I missed those!

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:56 pm
I actually used a tutorial I found here and it seemed to do just that but upon closer inspection there is a slight change of position:

Except that this tutorial has been critized previously in that it does *not* start with extremes as it pretends. Extremes of a running animation is frames where your foot hit the ground, thus frames #2 and #6 rather than #1 and #5. Plus, your character's head is almost facing us, and you make her running with body in a complete side-view. If you instead have 3/4th body view, shoulders and hips will be separated, meaning that the running sequence will be easier to read.

It's hard to do really minor movements like that at this size, though. I guess I'll look for some more tuts!
If you ask me, your character's body is terribly small compared to his head (it's almost 1:0.5:0.5 for head-torso-legs sizes in the running animation; new standing pictures are a bit better, i'd give 1:1:1 a try if i were you)

Yea I was noting that, the contact positions are being treated as the extremes. I think the tutorial is useful though, but it teaches some bad habbits. If anyone is seriouse about animating, I'de recommend getting richard william's "the animators survival kit." I have a copy in front of me right now, as it's the best thing for animation of any kind, hand drawn, 3d, or pixels.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 07:06:47 am
New running animation:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:16 am
much better, but there is something that is troubling me regarding the bopping ... as if it wasn't on the right frame (?)

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:31 am
much better, but there is something that is troubling me regarding the bopping ... as if it wasn't on the right frame (?)
Yeah I honestly had no idea where would be most appropriate. D:

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:18 pm
Yeah I honestly had no idea where would be most appropriate. D:

I think usually the head bobs in the crossover frame.  Think of it this way: when the leg with the weight on it is most vertical the body is at its highest.  You've got the head highest in a mid-air frame, which does make cartoon sense if he's doing hopping leaps, but to my knowledge doesn't happen in an actual run.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 05:57:22 pm
Things adressed int his edit:

The way i see it, the body should elevate or 'bob' when the legs are most towards the center. becaus at this poin the line from the foot t the head is more upright than it is at any other point. take in mind the cahracter isn't "popping" up, so much as it's a natural motion because of the extension of the leg; and it causes the character to be slightly "taller"

The motion from the front to the back of the run i felt was too extreme and caused a jerkiness in the cycle that, given the number of frames, shouldn't be there.

Things not adressed in this edit:

The hair is too stiff. it should move at least a little bit, as should the position of the face. nothing too dramatic, but the body looks ten  times more dyanmic than the face, which is where all the detail and attentive focus should be, considering the body/head size ratio.

---------edit------------

I don't know why i din't see this when i was editing it, but i also thnkthe leg that moves forward should move further out than it does.

not soo sure how i feel about the job i did on that edit, but the basic idea still gets across.

----------another edit-----

neither of my edits consider this, but when the body bobs back *down* that should coincide with the foot hitting the ground.

just to have something to compare to, here's a running animation that i did a little while back. it isn't perfect, and not really finished.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:13:38 pm by Corsair »