AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318505 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #870 on: October 14, 2008, 05:24:52 pm
Composition wise I think this blog may can help you. I've read some post yesterday and today and there are lots of interesting posts about composition and links to people who are great in compositions (mostly animation and film). http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/ - begin with the old posts (2006), it's totally worth it!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #871 on: October 14, 2008, 08:13:28 pm
urgh...

My dog got hit by a car just over an hour ago, she's still alive and none of the injuries seem serious.
But man, the rush of emotions is just crazy when you see something like that happen.

I went down the driveway with her to see my friends off, we both waited at the end of the drive and once my friends drove off I turned around to go back up the driveway and she ran out into the road.
Luckily there is a speed-bump just past our house so the car had already slowed down a bit.

Almost instantly she started yelping and I was about to run towards the street but she was already running back with a limp and lay down at my feet, carried her back to the house, the lady who was driving came and was apologizing etc, I assured her it wasn't her fault at all and not to give it another thought (kinda weird thing to say I know)
Rang the vet, took her straight in, they think she might be alright to come home later today, but we just had her spayed a week ago and her stitches have now burst so.. could be complications.

argh it sucks, I still feel kinda sick from the shock I guess
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #872 on: October 14, 2008, 08:16:45 pm
Ouch that sucks man. I know how it feels. One of our cats got run over when she was just over 1 year old.
Sadly she didn't make it :(
I didn't see it happen though...

Happy that your dog is okay! I hate to see animals get hurt.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #873 on: October 14, 2008, 10:33:11 pm
   Meh, I'm indifferent towards animals dying. It's sad, but once you've seen a couple, you start caring less. I've seen about 6 pups die from sickness, or just being ran over by a car. Another was carried off by a Hawk...pretty sure that guy didn't make it afterward.

I've seen about 2-3 adult dogs pretty much murdered viciously by my Pit bull. Bear in mind we didn't force this dog to fight, he was just very protective. I remember being a kid, and waking up to hearing some dog screeching in horror outside my room, only to see my dog, Champ, clamping on to it's neck, aggressively swinging it back and forth, eventually seeing it's spinal column coming out of it's body. Gross.

I also remember my dog getting loose from his leash after my oldest brother was walking him, and hauling ass to a house a block down from mine and getting in a fight with two Rottweilers. My brother ran over as quickly as he could but couldn't get a hand in, as the animals were fiercely going at it. Sadly, one Rottweiler died, the other was injured, but not enough for it to die or anything. I'm pretty sure the reason my dog was able to kill one, as that one of the Rottweilers was tied up to a post, putting him at a disadvantage, and both were probably still young dogs not used to fighting. The owner of the 2 dogs, some old lady, came out and threatened to shoot my dog with a shot gun. Accordingly, my brother picked up our pit, and hauled ass out of there when she went inside for her gun( I lived in a small, dirt town in Texas. Probably about 40% of the population, probably about 5,000 in total, there owned a gun) My dog got into a couple of other scuffles, but not enough to kill other dogs as he got older...just enough to maim. Glad though, as my dad got tired of waking up, and finding another dead animal on the lot to clean up after.

Despite his aggressive nature, I still miss that dumb dog though. I missed training him to sit and roll over. Sitting outside next to him at night, just looking at the sky like some ignorant hick. That, or watching him hump his favorite piece of carpet, heh. He died of old age, and probably deteriorating liver to boot. Was sad to see him go.

I've also seen pigs killed, or shot and then eaten afterwards. Seen Goats hung by the hind legs, throats sliced, gutted immediately...and then eaten afterwards. I hate the noise they make when they die though. Sounds like a person dying/screaming at the top of his lungs when they kill it..blegh. Man, that's why I think if there is a heaven, old school Mexicans have a chip on their shoulder of ever getting in. Oh well, I'm sure if that's a case, other cultures are f***ed as well...
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #874 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:56 pm
how did a dog appear outside your room?

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #875 on: October 14, 2008, 10:49:51 pm
I guess I should have said "outside my house, next to my room."
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #876 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:09 pm
And your dog was on his leash? And the other dog went in his face to fight?

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #877 on: October 14, 2008, 11:27:40 pm
   And now the bad part of it, which I always feel guilty of: We chained our pit bull up to a tree beside our house(which was next to my room). This most likely caused his aggressive nature. In other words, dogs wouldn't run up to him to fight, they would smell his food in his bowl, walk up to it and try eating it, thus sparking a territorial battle between the two. Usually, the other dog was some poor mutt, or docile breed that couldn't much fend for itself. We never believed in dog fights, as it's idiotic, nor did we force our dog to fight others. Him being chained up most of his life most likely caused him to be so damn protective and aggressive toward other animals, or persons not associated with our immediate family which he saw everyday.
   I never mention that part of the story, as feel so guilty about it: Chaining up a living thing it's whole life, and most likely messing up it's mental state. We got him when he was a pup, and was mainly for guard dog purposes, as we had a break in our house prior. The poor thing was destined to be a guard dog/slave. Even though my parents made the decision to chain him up, I still felt guilty for it afterward. Despite this, my brother would sometimes take him for a walk, and he would get loose from his cheap leash other times. He only got in one fight when he got loose from the leash. Majority of the fights were when he was chained up, though.
   Had I been older, I would have told my parents not to chain him up. But stuff happens, and he's gone now.
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #878 on: October 15, 2008, 01:12:19 am
That's pretty awful. Dogs can be trained not to attack living beings too. I know that this would counter what your family wanted him for, but still, what if it was a child that the dog attacked one of the times it got loose?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #879 on: October 15, 2008, 01:49:29 am