AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318488 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #830 on: October 03, 2008, 03:49:31 pm
I checked out the DSi, but it looks exactly like the DSL. It has the same fundamental design, but now has a camera in place for a GBA slot?

Actually i think the SD card slot is more of a replacement for the GBA slot. They're introducing DSiware also.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #831 on: October 03, 2008, 04:00:03 pm
I checked out the DSi, but it looks exactly like the DSL. It has the same fundamental design, but now has a camera in place for a GBA slot?

Actually i think the SD card slot is more of a replacement for the GBA slot. They're introducing DSiware also.
Didn't notice that, but it's all still pretty useless when I can't hold my DS for more than half an hour :(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #832 on: October 03, 2008, 05:37:34 pm
Iraq is its own problem at this point, caused by us but kept by them, or at least that is the popular (unanimous) opinion of my immigrant friends.

A country is never 'its own problem' when it's occupied by enemy troops. It's a startlingly inconsiderate statement you just made. Your immigrant friends might make it out of spite of their homeland (it's a common thing) but you shouldn't.

as for everything "evening out" - that is precisely the problem.  when popular parties have a fairly even split, it's the most outspoken radical group that tends to make the difference.

Not really, since between the republicans and democrats, there really isn't much of a difference in geopolitical terms, so a vote towards either party, fuelled by radical thought or not, is a fuel towards the same thing. The problem is fundamental in the concept of the 'two large parties', and it is largely a problem of how democracy is made to work. A true democracy would promote there being many different viable parties that would rotate in place of power. If it's just party red and party blue that are essentially the same thing taking turns to promote the vested interests of the banks that uh... bankroll them, then this isn't democracy really, is it?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #833 on: October 03, 2008, 05:53:06 pm
Yeh it really is not, but if you look at candidate setups like McCain/Palin, things become a bit more scary.

Also, funny thought:
It's rather ironical in a way how in America you have so much choice with EVERYTHING. Lots of different brands of stuff, lots of gradiation from no pulp orange juice, over some pulp, normal pulp amounts and LOTSA pulp, shitloads of cereals, shitloads of everything. HUGE CHOICE.
But when it comes to politics the choice is virtually zero. Gotta love America.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:00:22 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #834 on: October 03, 2008, 10:21:25 pm
A country is never 'its own problem' when it's occupied by enemy troops.

We're not the enemies of Iraq, nor are most Iraqis our enemies, terrorists are our enemies, and the only people creating terrorists are our soldiers staying in the region (god bless them as it's not their fault or intent).  The coalition dissolved four years ago, suggesting that it's questionable to even call what's happening an "occupation" even if we are hostile towards the citizens or government of Iraq (which we are not) because we are not controlling the government there.  Regardless of the picky-word-nonsense, you and I agree that the problem is America's fault but that our soldiers there do more harm than good and need to be removed for the problem to even begin being resolved.

As for my immigrant friends, they speak out of patriotism to Iraq.  They tell me that their nation would be safe and prosperous post-2004 if not for the Americans.  I don't know how true this is but I can only repeat what I've been told by people who have been there, aka a handful of soldier friends and a handful of immigrant friends.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #835 on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:48 pm
A country is never 'its own problem' when it's occupied by enemy troops.

We're not the enemies of Iraq, nor are most Iraqis our enemies, terrorists are our enemies

Last few points from my side: the matter is that the US government has troops forcefully occupying a foreign country and that makes them the enemies of that country by default. This isn't picking words, this is a very important geopolitical realization. If you have troops in a country that doesn't want you there, you are occupying the country, you are at war with the country, you can not dress it up another way.  I really cannot see how a foreign force that has killed 100,000 innocent people in Iraq not an occupying force, but I'm sure it all pans out somehow from your point of view. I don't really want to get into this too much, though, so we can agree to disagree.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #836 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:54 pm
I just mean that occupation implies some form of control, which we don't have, something to do other than waste time, which we don't have, a desire to be there, which most of us don't have, and some sort of profit, which we DEFINITELY don't have.  It's a horrible mess that goes far beyond and around  "occupation."
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #837 on: October 03, 2008, 11:14:16 pm

Didn't notice that, but it's all still pretty useless when I can't hold my DS for more than half an hour :(
I'll just quickly go over the new DSi features:
2 cameras, one on the inside of the hinge and the other on the outside of the top half.
Larger screens.
SD card slot.
On-board memory and ram.
Overall smaller and lighter.
Will have DSware (as already mentioned) (I'm expecting downloadable GB/C games too)
And a few other small changes like improved speakers, button placement, etc

I will be getting one, the SD slot alone has huge potential for the inevitable homebrew. But I will be keeping my DSlite because I'm sure my R4 won't work on the DSi's new firmware, and so I can still use Guitar Hero on DS
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #838 on: October 04, 2008, 04:58:28 am
INCREDIBLY stylish game from the people who made Viewtiful Joe, and Okami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VEg_AMmh64
MAD WORLD

I cant believe they had the balls to do this, I would be scared shitless to say I could do a game with just BnW....but they did it. I think us pixelartists should discuss such a bold move to have an incredibly limited pallete....think of the posiblities in the lo.spec section  :o

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #839 on: October 04, 2008, 11:59:35 am
I really hope they don't take out the blood like they did in (my version of) No More heroes.
I normally don't really care about the blood in games, but in No More Heroes the boss fights took place in blank canvases basically and it sucked not being able to paint them.
The blood must stay in Mad World for obvious reasons.

Mad World looks very cool, but I still don't really get it.
Very striking visuals, over the top violence, smashTV-like commentators, and trashy rap?
Just don't quite see what's tying it all together
Life without knowledge is death in disguise