AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318489 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #820 on: October 03, 2008, 01:35:56 pm
Even my conservative friends hate Mccain.

I'm quite conservative but I'm pretty sure McCain is going to start World War 3 if he gets elected. Especially after Palin's solemn promise to repeat the Iraq debacle in Afghanistan last night. After 8 years of idiocy the Republicans have learned nothing from their mistakes, I think they need a time out.

[EDIT] And the idea of McCain dying of age and Sarah Palin being left in charge of the world's largest military force keeps me from being able to sleep at night.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:38:54 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #821 on: October 03, 2008, 02:11:38 pm
Although I've preferred Obama since the beginning I thought McCain wouldn't have been too bad a choice either, better than Bush anyway, but McCain appointing Palin for his Vice president candidate made me lose all the respect I had for him. Out of 300 million people, SHE is in McCain's view the best candidate for the second most important job in the world?!?

Being the hyperpower that USA is and always messing around with their armed forces all around the planet, the results of US elections affect the whole world, so why shouldn't the whole world be allowed to vote as well?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #822 on: October 03, 2008, 02:24:39 pm
Being the hyperpower that USA is and always messing around with their armed forces all around the planet, the results of US elections affect the whole world, so why shouldn't the whole world be allowed to vote as well?

American population = somewhere around 300 million.
Think of how many douchebags there are out of that amount, that will be voting.

Now imagine the percentage of douchebags in a population of 6 BILLION that would be voting. And that's not even counting people from countries that hate the US. That's a lot of douchebaggery.

It's a nice gesture but the implications are pretty scary.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #823 on: October 03, 2008, 02:31:20 pm
Not sure what you're getting at ben, douchebags shouldn't be allowed to vote?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #824 on: October 03, 2008, 02:34:16 pm
No, he's saying we have too many of them voting already in the US...no need for more.  ;D
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #825 on: October 03, 2008, 02:36:33 pm
Do you really think the douchebag : respectable person ratio is very different outside of the States? :crazy:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #826 on: October 03, 2008, 03:05:07 pm

American population = somewhere around 300 million.
Think of how many douchebags there are out of that amount, that will be voting.

Now imagine the percentage of douchebags in a population of 6 BILLION that would be voting. And that's not even counting people from countries that hate the US. That's a lot of douchebaggery.

It's a nice gesture but the implications are pretty scary.

If proactive voting is in effect, the douchbaggery is evened out through the voting procedure. Read 'The Wisdom of Crowds'. The real problem is how your two parties are interchangeable.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #827 on: October 03, 2008, 03:20:08 pm
Oh, and how about that Nintendo, having the E3 they should have had.
Sin & Punishment and Another Code for the Wii was enough for me, but they had tons more for the DS and Wii, even re-releasing GCN classics with new controls (I'd love to replay some of my old GCN games already, but the GCN's controller cable is stupidly short- doesn't even reach my couch) not to mention a new DS design.
And they showed more of Oboro Muramasa <3

Oh and Cave Story on Wiiware, I want to love it, but I'm sure Nintendo won't be giving it away for free and that's always been against Pixel's intentions.
I would gladly pay for it, but I want to know he'll get some of the money... Should all be revealed in due time.
This post brought to light the fact any of this actually happened.

I checked out the DSi, but it looks exactly like the DSL. It has the same fundamental design, but now has a camera in place for a GBA slot? I was really hoping for a new design that didn't cramp my hands up like the DSL does. The DSL cramps my hands up so bad that I can't play for more than half an hour, and that is terrible for gaming.

Oh, and hopefully they'll release Cave Story as a free Wiiware. They really never release any free stuff, would be nice for a change.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #828 on: October 03, 2008, 03:28:49 pm
I wasn't being serious with my suggestion.. the Chinese alone could easily elect someone who doesn't speak a word of English and so on. But then again such a practice should be applied on the elections of all countries that are incapable of just minding their own business like China and Russia.

Still, this vote, more than any vote passed inside the borders of Iraq will have a huge effect on what'll become out of their country. Do they want to keep the American troops in Iraq or do they want them to leave? I've not entirely made my mind of this. The idea of having a stable, secular country in the heart of that troubled area (where most of our civilization sprung from) would be awesome, but in order to last, such a change should come from within the country, so I think the whole Iraq war was a wasted effort.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #829 on: October 03, 2008, 03:44:32 pm
Popular vote was a good idea that worked until the electoral college took over and robbed the people of their voice.

Read a history book.  America has never had the popular vote.  Since 1787 the electoral college has chosen the presidents of the united states, and they were directed first by the state's legislative branch until the mid-1800's when the people's votes were intended to take over in most states.  The primary reason was improved infrastructure, which led to supposedly a more educated population able to hear news and have their votes collected at a speed yet to be dreamed of at the birth of the nation.  That we have progressed even further than that to the point where nearly every american has access to news and education is a different matter, and some (though not I) would argue that american's desire not only to ignore their rights to news and education but also to still form strong opinions based on excessively little information is actually a reason to go back to the legislature method.

as for everything "evening out" - that is precisely the problem.  when popular parties have a fairly even split, it's the most outspoken radical group that tends to make the difference.  That is how (in extreme paraphrase) many nations end up with governments that do not necessarily represent them well at all, for better of for worse.

Iraq is its own problem at this point, caused by us but kept by them, or at least that is the popular (unanimous) opinion of my immigrant friends.  Several of them are here because they helped the US in 2003-2004 and were rewarded with hatred from both sides.  At this point Americans seem to do more harm than good in terms of the national philosophy, despite all efforts.  Sure, the surge tightened our hold on the country and reduced violence, but that kind of pressure only hides conflict rather than solving it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.