AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318535 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #810 on: October 02, 2008, 05:27:28 pm
I'll concur with all of the above.

Usually I just let whomever is interested in my services know that I charge $40/hour and that I will gladly convert that into a piecework rate if necessary. The most important thing to be able to do is effectively devise just how long a job will take. If a 100x100 ten frame animation takes you about fifteen minutes to create, then I'd say you're pretty amazing, but charging the right price. For me, I'd probably charge about $50-60 for such a thing, under the assumption that it would probably take me 1-2 hours to complete.

Really though, it's very important that you can quote your work in such a fashion that you're happy with the payment you receive for the amount of time you put in. I spent my first three months freelancing as a full-time job learning that the hard way.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #811 on: October 03, 2008, 12:23:59 am
I'll concur with all of the above.

Usually I just let whomever is interested in my services know that I charge $40/hour and that I will gladly convert that into a piecework rate if necessary. The most important thing to be able to do is effectively devise just how long a job will take. If a 100x100 ten frame animation takes you about fifteen minutes to create, then I'd say you're pretty amazing, but charging the right price. For me, I'd probably charge about $50-60 for such a thing, under the assumption that it would probably take me 1-2 hours to complete.

Really though, it's very important that you can quote your work in such a fashion that you're happy with the payment you receive for the amount of time you put in. I spent my first three months freelancing as a full-time job learning that the hard way.

Understood, but I guess I'm coming from a more laid back state, as I'm moreso doing the pixel art "commissions" for fun...with a little side cash on the side. I say this as I have an actual full time job, but I like to do a little bit of pixel art every now and then. So coming from this mindset, would you guys still charge at an hourly rate, considering pixeling for games is NOT your primary source of income(granted you have enough free time to do this type of thing)?
my back hurts...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #812 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:41 am
anyone who has any stake in the 2008 US presidential election (aka ALL OF YOU MWAHAHA) tune into the debate at 9pm EST on cnn.com !
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #813 on: October 03, 2008, 01:29:39 am
or here:

EDIT: it's done
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:13:34 am by Cow »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #814 on: October 03, 2008, 04:41:54 am
anyone who has any stake in the 2008 US presidential election (aka ALL OF YOU MWAHAHA) tune into the debate at 9pm EST on cnn.com !

Sometimes I have fantasies about fire raining down from the sky destroying all idiots, sparing the reasonable folks. The current US election nonsense going on spures this more so than ever before.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #815 on: October 03, 2008, 10:02:49 am
Screw the debate. The people can't do anything anyway. We're all screwed and our votes mean nothing.

That is not a good way to think. You have to be clear about that the radicals will vote. So all the rabid people who will vote McCain/Palin will do it. And if there are lots of people thinking like you and go, meh wateva, you should not be surprised if McCain/Palin win the election. If you do not vote for what you think is right you have lateron really no right bitching when shit goes down because you did not even try to make a difference.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #816 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:42 pm
Any non-Americans know any other non-Americans that would vote for Mccain if they could?
Even my conservative friends hate Mccain.

Sure we don't get the exact same coverage as American networks give the election, but I think we still get at least a glimpse of any significant developments.
New Zealand politics are so boring...

edit-
Oh, and how about that Nintendo, having the E3 they should have had.
Sin & Punishment and Another Code for the Wii was enough for me, but they had tons more for the DS and Wii, even re-releasing GCN classics with new controls (I'd love to replay some of my old GCN games already, but the GCN's controller cable is stupidly short- doesn't even reach my couch) not to mention a new DS design.
And they showed more of Oboro Muramasa <3

Oh and Cave Story on Wiiware, I want to love it, but I'm sure Nintendo won't be giving it away for free and that's always been against Pixel's intentions.
I would gladly pay for it, but I want to know he'll get some of the money... Should all be revealed in due time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:08:22 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #817 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:39 pm
hmm, I have mixed feelings about the Cave Story.. uhm story

First I think it's great to have indie games native on big consoles and supported by big publishers (Nintendo as dreamland). I hope Pixel's (Daisuke Amaya) interests are preserved. I think as a killer feature a multiplayer (like SSBM?) and coop-mode (with adjusted levels like more (dangerous) enemies) would be incredible genius to that game. But that's maybe just a daydream. It's very likely that they release exactly the same game with something (imho) cheap like achievments like in Team Fortress 2 and Megaman or new skins (e.g. playing as curly or sue) without real new gameplay features.
What's left is that people who doesn't know of indie games have the chance to play a small gem of that inspiring and rich underground scene which they probably would never have heard of.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:36:02 pm by Rosse »

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #818 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:41 pm
GCN's controller cable is stupidly short- doesn't even reach my couch.

http://www.amazon.com/MadCatz-GameCube-Extension-Cable/dp/B00005TNVN
I have one on my normal controller. Buy 2 if necessary.  ;D

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #819 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32:11 pm
   Politically, I trust neither of the two candidates...both have qualities that seem so untrusting. Basically, like choosing the lesser of 2 evils(heh, when has this ever changed). I'd rather neither, if I had the choice. Poop economy is the main problem I see right now, and NONE of the candidates have a clear cut answer to fix it. Both seem based out of hope that their plans will fix it...which won't. I just see kids that want to be the leader of the group, squabbling over things unimportant.
   I think it's more a people problem being babied for so long, that it's finally caught up with them, especially with leniency in the housing market with banking loans. I think if humans were to live longer life spans, we wouldn't create ridiculous products that fail in a couple of months or years, or have failing plans, as we would focus more on the long run: but nay,(on Americans, primarily), we live an average life span of about 70-80 years(which actually isn't too bad among all nations, even though we're becoming a bunch of fat asses). I would think if you're a business person, you'd realize money on the long run is much more valuable than the short run, so quality and various testing of products and plans should no doubt be emphasized before these things get placed in action.
   And this also becomes the problem, as people want this economic problem fixed NOW: which to be honest won't happen anytime soon. It'll take some time before banks sort their poop out, start becoming more strict on loans with the housing market...more people bitching. Patience is a virtue, which as an American, I hate to say this, we have little or none. Not that I'm bagging on my country, as I 'wuv it(football, free women, hotdogs, and beer people!! :) ).
   Also, I'd definitely recede troops from Iraq, as it's doing nothing for us being there, causing more harm than good. Thousands dead, could have been thousands making us more money for the economy, here back at home. Yet here we are, bitching about this mess. I think most can agree, that war makes little or no sense for us now, as we have what we need in the u.s, and it's time to start strengthening from the inside, rather than out.
   But again, this post is coming from an ignorant user, who is indifferent towards mostly everything in the world. I'm more delusional, especially in the dream sense, and I can live with it. Maybe if there's a user here more actively involved in politics, they can describe what's what, or maybe some solutions, and not be weak enough to get into political parties strengths and weaknesses, as this shit is played out.

...done.
my back hurts...