AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318511 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #770 on: September 21, 2008, 03:32:11 am
I also loved Super Mario Sunshine's world regardless of the gripes people had against it, I think the atmosphere that comes with a strong presence of water does something for me...
Sadly I've never played it. It's dirt cheap now but I never remember to pick it up when I go to the store.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #771 on: September 21, 2008, 06:01:07 am
you might fancy a go at killer 7 or no more heroes

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #772 on: September 21, 2008, 07:17:21 am
Interestingly I was just talking about games people considered artistic today with some friends. SOTC and ICO were both brought up as well as both killer 7 and No more heroes which are fantastic games. Killer 7 has a wicked learning curve though but once you get the hang of it its fairly worth it. I really like how Suda51 does things differently than normal. I'd class the silent hill games as being artistic I guess. At least they have underlying intentions. Katamary Damacy is pretty artistic visually. I know of a bunch they are slipping my mind at the moment.
Guitaroo man
Odin Sphere..

As far as Science Fiction movies goes has anyone here heard of or seen the movie La Jetée. I saw it in a film class a couple years ago and found it kind of interesting, apparently the movie 12 monkeys was based off of it. It's kind of slow as it's mainly still frames but still fairly chilling and creepy as well. Its about time travel in paris after World War III.

Also a movie called Fantastic Planet, a sci-fi animated film about humans as pets to aliens. I haven't seen the whole things but from what I saw was pretty creepy.

I also really enjoyed a movie called The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension though it seems this doesn't count as the same kind of sci-fi you guys are discussing.

Not necessarily my favorites, I just really liked elements of them and thought someone might find them interesting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:02:15 pm by Jakten »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #773 on: September 21, 2008, 03:04:09 pm
I really didn't enjoy Twilight Princess at all, it just felt like the base of a Zelda game they didn't spend any time making unique/interesting.

Wind Waker is easily my favourite Zelda, and probably my favourite world within a game ever, love the sense of culture and life, perfect controls and fun areas to explore

I also loved Super Mario Sunshine's world regardless of the gripes people had against it, I think the atmosphere that comes with a strong presence of water does something for me...

I'm a big fan of Super Mario Sunshine as well. I liked the atmosphere, the water, the beaches and so on. It was suitably difficult as well. Each level reflected the theme in a slightly different but interesting way, rather than being a fruit salad of random themes.

In my mind Wind Waker still beats Twilight Princess graphic wise. The low poly cartoony look is still awesome, whereas TP's look that aimed for realism looked a bit out dated already when it was released. And again, the Archipelago setting of Wind Waker was much more interesting than the generic fantasy world of TP.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #774 on: September 21, 2008, 08:36:45 pm
I agree with Ico, SOTC, Widwaker, Mario Galaxy and all of those. Okami is another obvious one. Comix Zone is an older game for the Genesis, but it also had an interesting look. Super Paper Mario has a pretty unique style.

As far as indie games go, Knytt, Within A Deep Forest, or anything else from that Nifflas fellow are interesting in a minimalist sort of way.

I was actually a big fan of TP. I thought that the twilight realm had a pretty interesting visual flair to it, especially when you go to the Twilight temple near the end of the game.

Also, I like the art direction of Team Fortress 2. They really put a lot of work into it. He's a video of the graphic's people justifying and explaining their choices in depth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswHCFUqprE

The new Prince of Persia game has a pretty cool look to it as well.

EDIT: Also, Samarost and it's sequel have an awesome style: http://amanita-design.net/samorost-2/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:39:37 pm by chriskot »

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #775 on: September 21, 2008, 11:02:01 pm
Also a movie called Fantastic Planet, a sci-fi animated film about humans as pets to aliens. I haven't seen the whole things but from what I saw was pretty creepy.

Fantastic Planet was more than creepy. It's surreal, psychedelic, and dark. The environment is strange and the blue giants are even stranger. It's a good story and the animation reminds me of Monty Python's animated bits. I recommend it if you're up for a nice little trip (without the help of drugs...). You can watch it in english on YouTube.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #776 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:07 pm
Argh! Another school shooting incident here in Finland. Finland has long boasted with a really high suicide rate and now these incidents.. and then there was a mall bombing as well several years back. I must admit I can't entirely get my around it, why here? Whe not in Sweden or Denmark or Estonia? Depression and an unability to cope with modern life's got something to do with it but I can't really understand. They all seem to be right wing nutters as well, but what's the deal? They're individual cases rather than people belonging to a nazi party or whatever. This is crap.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #777 on: September 23, 2008, 03:28:55 pm
 :( Yeah and the guy missed his own head. Well he did hit it, but it wasn't lethal. Yet.

Bummer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:01:38 pm by leroy »

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Reply #778 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39:55 pm
You're actually sorry the guy was not able to take the easy way out?

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #779 on: September 23, 2008, 03:43:22 pm
Oh well, he has died now, bastard. Just like the previous guy, a shot in the head, but continued living for a few more hours. Too easy for him.