AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318522 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #760 on: September 20, 2008, 10:49:02 pm
Crystal Logic, The Deluge, Mystification, Spiral Castle and the newest one, Voyager.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #761 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:15 pm
So what are some games you people consider 'artistic'... that are worth playing for the artistic value, even if it's not a very good game. This doesn't have to be particularly graphics-wise, either.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #762 on: September 21, 2008, 01:16:43 am
Welcome back Dogmeat! Also, during my week off, I went to go see a Metal show with The Human Abstract, 36 Crazy Fists, Trivium, and All That Remains headlining. Even though I'm not much of the metalcore or hardcore fanatic, the show was pretty damn awesome(though I felt Trivium performed the best).
All That remains are pretty good. Not amazingly fond of the other bands, though I feel The Human Abstract has amazing potential. The first 1:40 or so of 'Vela, Together We Await The Storm' is excellent. But unfortunately it all falls apart after that. ):

So what are some games you people consider 'artistic'... that are worth playing for the artistic value, even if it's not a very good game. This doesn't have to be particularly graphics-wise, either.
Personally?
Shadow of the Colossus.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:19:08 am by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #763 on: September 21, 2008, 01:23:59 am
Shadow of the Colossus.
Heh, exactly my pick, along with ICO... though that's said so often that I think it's a given. There are a few other games that I think are pretty artistic, or at least give me that "wow, that's beautiful" feeling, in an artistic way... though they're pretty mainstream.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #764 on: September 21, 2008, 02:16:41 am
though they're pretty mainstream.

what does that have to do with it? ???
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:21:32 am by tocky »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #765 on: September 21, 2008, 02:20:36 am
Meh, why list games I'm pretty sure everyone already knows about?

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #766 on: September 21, 2008, 02:21:55 am
huh, fair enough.

I think loom, klonoa, knytt, morrowind, half life 2, windwaker... i think i'm listing these mostly for aesthetic reasons, though.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #767 on: September 21, 2008, 02:35:06 am
Sadly I don't think I dwelve enough outside of mainstream gaming, probably because I don't have the money to take chances of games that might be pretty shitty, so I tend to stick to games I know are good.

WW is one of those games I think is really beautiful. I could go around and just look at stuff just because it always paints a pretty picture. TP, while graphically amazing... really didn't do anything for me. I mean, it looked great, but nothing nothing seemed good enough for me to remember. It took the graphics of OoT and enhanced them, per say, but it didn't take the feeling OoT had. Places like the Forest Temple are things I never forget. I'm not complaining about TP graphics though, I guess it's just the presentation... it just seemed to lack something. Lots of style but no flair, I guess.

I think the Metroid Prime games do a better job of giving me the same feeling OoT did with the art than TP did.

Mario Galaxy also tickles me in a fancy way. While Super Mario 64 graphics were pretty nice... I dunno, they just seemed pretty standard compared to most cartoons. Something about the way Mario Galaxy designed the worlds, and the lighting and soft aura around everything... I found myself just looking around a lot at my surroundings and taking it in. This could just be because I have a fancy for space.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #768 on: September 21, 2008, 02:42:28 am
I agree about twilight princess - it was beautiful in its way, but the sense of setting was just... missing. I was going to say that I can't really remember any of it - but that's not really true. I could probably draw you a map. But none of those places seem real for me, and I'm not sure why that is.

I never really got the same buzz that people get from mario galaxy, though. It's a perfectly servicable game, and I enjoyed it, but it doesn't really do it for me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:51:22 am by tocky »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #769 on: September 21, 2008, 03:23:30 am
I really didn't enjoy Twilight Princess at all, it just felt like the base of a Zelda game they didn't spend any time making unique/interesting.

Wind Waker is easily my favourite Zelda, and probably my favourite world within a game ever, love the sense of culture and life, perfect controls and fun areas to explore

I also loved Super Mario Sunshine's world regardless of the gripes people had against it, I think the atmosphere that comes with a strong presence of water does something for me...
Life without knowledge is death in disguise