AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318534 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #710 on: September 16, 2008, 07:08:06 am
I have not seen 'Natural City' but I will endeavor to.

The love story in Bladerunner is excellently handled.

It's very fitting given the theme of the movie that the main character acts largely impotent. He doesn't kill anything but women (shooting them in the back, also), he doesn't solve anything, he gets his ass kicked repeatedly and then the movie ends. I consideration of the themes of the movie will explain to you why these things are good things.

The main character being a replicant is idiotic imo (as it goes directly against the main themes of the film) and that this rumour is perpetuated by Ridley Scott himself for me is more a practical joke on his part than the truth.

A 'big reveal' in movies is usually a very bad 'selling point'. Sixth sense was dross, as any other film from that director. That we're even talking about how Bladerunner is a bad movie based on an example from the Sixth Sense is blowing my mind. Let's see... how can we make "The Fall" a better movie. In the last scene it turns out Hitler was a ROBOT ALL ALONG!!! This explains his lack of compassion!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:45:14 am by Helm »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #711 on: September 16, 2008, 07:41:09 am
I've thought of an idea for blade runner done well so I'll draw a one page comic over the next couple of days, productively settle it. Someone told me the ending of the sixth sense before I saw it so i just assumed it was a good ending if noone told you.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #712 on: September 16, 2008, 07:24:51 pm
IMO a mark of a good ending (or story) is if it's satisfying whether it's spoiled or not.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:32:26 pm by Darien »

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #713 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:59 pm
The whole "he is a replicant also" is fine for if they revealed it, like in the sixth sense.

Aren't you thinking of "The Sixth Day", with Arnold Schwarzenegger? Because that seems like it would be a better comparison.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #714 on: September 17, 2008, 02:47:01 am
Nah he meant that they reveal that the guy played by Bruce Willis is a ghost. They could have made it so that he does not find out himself or something and just walks away at the end when the boy is fine. Tho then the character would have not had a catarsis and it would be a bit odd as the movie was as much about the boy as the ghost.

That he is a ghost tho could be logically deducted without seeing the scene that reveals it. I only seen 3 movies of that director. Unbreakable, Sixth Sense and Signs and I enjoyed them in that order. Unbreakable was good fun tho a bit predictable. Sixth Sense I found ok, not living up to the hype tho and Signs I found really, really stupid. The way everything was constructed in that movie with the whole losing faith thing and in the end everything that seemed to have fucked up the guys lives saves him, his kids and they managed to defeat the aliens. :0#
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #715 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:36 am
I drew this with a mouse so don't expect great drawings, no need to crit 'em. But if you want to crit the story, dialog etc. go for it!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/sharprm/omi1.gif

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/sharprm/omi2.gif

Still haven't watched Bladerunner ...
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #716 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:51 am
sharprm, I don't know if you're serious but I have to tell you I cringed a lot reading your comic. This is a typical american 'badass action movie blockbuster of the summer' thing. You're free to have any kind of taste in movies you want, but your remimagining of Bladerunner made me want to hurl.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #717 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:23 pm
I hate to say it but my angst-o-meter just shot through the roof reading that. It reads like a list of emotional triggers with just enough context to string them together. Personally I think if I were that guy who gives out the missions, I'd get someone much whimpier to carry them out, or better yet just do it myself. It doesn't seem like a very difficult job since replicants love to die, and when you hire tough people to do it, they thank you by punching you in the face and then whine about how much they hate their jobs when it's all over.

Sorry if I'm being harsh... I honestly really couldn't figure out if this was satire or not.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:31:05 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #718 on: September 17, 2008, 11:04:32 pm
sharprm: <3. you really ought to consider your lighting though. depth reallllly not there.

I honestly really couldn't figure out if this was satire or not.

since when is this a bad thing? ain't it good to have a degree of mystery sometimes?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:06:15 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #719 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:46 pm
honestly, no. If it's satire, you should be able to tell. If it's not, you should be able to tell.