AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318573 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #580 on: August 31, 2008, 03:30:03 am
hmm can they react like moving away?
Lets say I saw 3-4 persons close together with red hat, and I try to come close, they see me coming and they move away. I guess it means I have a blue hat, so I go to another small group with the same color as my hat and they welcome me without moving away.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:51:34 am by Froli »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #581 on: August 31, 2008, 03:46:37 am
But then how do they form those groups in the first place, Froli?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #582 on: August 31, 2008, 03:50:23 am
if you put a large number of people in a place, there is always a probability of 3-4 people of the same color of hats are together by random chance. If you put yourself on that position, wouldn't you approach them? I guess by the end it will lead into a chain reaction.

Well there must be another solution, but that's what I thought.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:43:58 am by Froli »

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #583 on: August 31, 2008, 06:07:37 am
Eh, silly "question".

Here's for a real question:

There is a big group of people on a field and they randomly get assigned hats, either blue or red ones. They can not see what colour hat they are wearing and they are not allowed to communicate in any way with the others. No gestures, no pointing, no nothing. How can they devide so that all of the red ones are on one side of the field and the blues are on the other side?
I love logic problems, however I feel with this one that I am not getting enough information to determine the answer.
It could be either that you accidently left out information, or that the answer is so simple that my brain has over looked it by looking for a more complex answer. (example: http://www.95suited.com/per.wm lol)
I am curious to see the answer.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #584 on: August 31, 2008, 06:50:10 am
hmm can they react like moving away?
Lets say I saw 3-4 persons close together with red hat, and I try to come close, they see me coming and they move away. I guess it means I have a blue hat, so I go to another small group with the same color as my hat and they welcome me without moving away.
Not a bad idea, but I'd call that non-verbal communication. Also, how would the people know that they aren't wearing the same coloured hat as you without communicating with each other?

Is this really possible to work out? I've been puzzling over it for a bit and from what I can tell, you would eventually have to figure out the colour of your own hat to join the right group, which would involve some sort of communication with other people and hence be impossible. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I'm perplexed. Unless of course there are an equal number of blues and reds and you can just count to determine which you are, but that seems too easy...

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #585 on: August 31, 2008, 07:23:49 am
Here's for a real question:

There is a big group of people on a field and they randomly get assigned hats, either blue or red ones. They can not see what colour hat they are wearing and they are not allowed to communicate in any way with the others. No gestures, no pointing, no nothing. How can they devide so that all of the red ones are on one side of the field and the blues are on the other side?

I've heard this one, but in a different format. However, I see it as a way for a person to easily cop out with an answer to a defenseless question: "people" is plural for "person"; which means one could simply answer, "well there are only 2 people in the field...and they're really big...each go their own separate ways...the question didn't clarify number of people in the field, just 'big group' , which isn't clear enough as to exactly how many, odd or even..." This answer isn't necessarily wrong, but the question actually has it's "special" answer, so my bull-shat response, isn't necessarily this question's sought after answer.

May need specific numbers to make this truly a "red-hat, blue-hat" brain teaser...
my back hurts...

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #586 on: August 31, 2008, 08:15:01 am

Hmm... well, there's a cluster of people. One man leaves it and is going to stand outside. Another follows him and stands next to him. Now there are three possible positions. Both have blue hats, both have red hats or they have different hats. If both have the same color, the man goes left or right to them. If the colors are different, the man stands between them. Every man follows this rule now. It's easy because he can see which color the others have but don't need to know his own hut color. This behavior leads to a row in which blue and red hut's are separated.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:33:29 am by Rosse »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #587 on: August 31, 2008, 10:43:55 am
someone chops all their heads off and sorts them accordingly :crazy:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #588 on: August 31, 2008, 10:54:46 am
They are not allowed to do that either. No looking at their own hats. This also is NOT a trick question, there is a logical solution to this.

Everyone pushes everyone else to one side according to their color of hat? No communication nor looking at one's own hat required.

amirite?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:04:02 am by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #589 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:54 am

Hmm... well, there's a cluster of people. One man leaves it and is going to stand outside. Another follows him and stands next to him. Now there are three possible positions. Both have blue hats, both have red hats or they have different hats. If both have the same color, the man goes left or right to them. If the colors are different, the man stands between them. Every man follows this rule now. It's easy because he can see which color the others have but don't need to know his own hut color. This behavior leads to a row in which blue and red hut's are separated.

99% there :D

Frychicko: No, that is nonverbal communication.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.