AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318564 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #570 on: August 30, 2008, 03:02:29 am

If a bomb is set to go off...

And a monkey is climbing a tree...

How long does the monkey have to get a banana before the tree explodes?

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #571 on: August 30, 2008, 04:23:25 am
In my case, about a screen and a half's worth of scrolling.
Assuming, that is, that the monky is you and your post is the tree. It's about as tall as a tree.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #572 on: August 30, 2008, 06:41:07 am
TRICK QUESTION! Bananas don't grow on trees!

...I like Rox's answer better though.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #573 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:29 am
TRICK QUESTION! Bananas don't grow on trees!

...I like Rox's answer better though.

Yes they do?
Oh wait, it looks like a tree but is classified as as plant?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #574 on: August 30, 2008, 11:28:24 am
Bananas do not grow on trees. They grow on plants that are giant herbs and are related to the lily and orchid family.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #575 on: August 30, 2008, 04:24:57 pm
Those trick questions bother and amuse me equally. Because they're meant to trick someone into giving a false answer, the question itself tends to be equally incorrect. In this case, there's little relation at all between the four actors; bomb, banana, tree and monkey. It's actually quite plausible for there to be a banana in the tree, or perhaps below the tree, since it is strongly suggested that the monky is in fact headed for a banana, yet is climbing a tree. But the question itself is flawed because of how vague it is. There is no way of answering it correctly, even ignoring the whole banana tree issue.

It's like asking this: It's raining outside. Rox is writing a far too analytical post about something trivial because he has absolutely nothing better to do. How long before he gets wet?

There's an obvious relation between the factors, but absolutely nothing to determine the answer. In the original question, the only thing you actually know is that there is a tree that will explode, and a monkey is climbing it. I'm writing a post, and it's raining. What the question fails to imply is that I'm sitting inside a house, so I'll likely never get wet. Similarly, the trick question fails to mention anything about time, or if the bomb is even set with a timer or fuse to begin with, so there's no way at all of answering it correctly. Since all answers should therefor be assumed incorrect, it's kinda pointless to point out that there's no such thing as a banana tree - when it's clearly stated that the monkey is, in fact, headed for a banana while in a tree.

And still, my post remains strawberry bush sized.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #576 on: August 30, 2008, 11:25:50 pm
While there is mention of the tree exploding, there is no mention of how, unless you assume that the bomb is inside the tree.
However the location of the bomb is not specified, therefore you cannot assume that it is anywhere near the tree OR a banana at all.

What also is not stated is the size of the explosion the bomb would cause, the explosion may or may not be big enough to take out the tree, the monkey, and the banana.
And if the bomb is NOT inside the tree, then the tree, instead of exploding at worst would either fall over or catch on fire... if you assume the the explosion is large enough to do so from where ever the bomb is.
There is also no information stating that the bomb will indeed go off. It could be a dud. It is set to go off, yes... but it could be faulty and not explode at all.

There is no information in the question that tells you a banana is anywhere within the monkey's range. The monkey could be on an island that has no bananas... and if that were the case, the monkey would then either have to swim elsewhere to find the banana or be brought a banana.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #577 on: August 31, 2008, 12:27:25 am
Eh, silly "question".

Here's for a real question:

There is a big group of people on a field and they randomly get assigned hats, either blue or red ones. They can not see what colour hat they are wearing and they are not allowed to communicate in any way with the others. No gestures, no pointing, no nothing. How can they devide so that all of the red ones are on one side of the field and the blues are on the other side?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #578 on: August 31, 2008, 01:55:40 am
they take off their hats  ???

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #579 on: August 31, 2008, 02:33:05 am
They are not allowed to do that either. No looking at their own hats. This also is NOT a trick question, there is a logical solution to this.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.