AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318656 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #490 on: August 19, 2008, 02:40:56 am
I've heard its awesome, but I haven't been yet.  I'm close enough to the greenbelt climbs that I can bike there, so I haven't gotten out to any of the bigger local stuff, like lake travis or reimer's or enchanted yet.  But soon!

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #491 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:39 am
BOB, I reread your original post and realized that I essentially was reiterating what you had said.  I agree that culture IS what makes us who we are and is what defines the lines between.  I think maybe what I was trying to express is the historical and prehistorical ironies (when taken in modern context) of cultural identities throughout central and north america.  IE, I find it interesting when people define themselves or others as american indians or mexican indians, when in fact they were at the same time neither mexican nor american nor anything so simple as "indian" but rather a multitude of genetically similar and culturally different people. 
Also, while reading your post I mistook "English decent" for some sort of anthropological stock term before I realized you meant descent which was funny to me.  i don't know why.
Adam- Its a shame that areas need to be policed by a few members of their own to keep people from ruining their own resources (the tragedy of the commons and all) and climbing has always had that problem but access is access.  Have you ever climbed lake travis?  If you like (incredibly cliched terminology coming up) deep water soloing, you can have a blast there, as long as you're careful where you bail off of.
If your culture defines you, you aren't a very interesting person. You're taking part in and identifying with something you had nothing to do with. That's kind of like saying 'we won the gold medal' when you're watching the Olympics on tv
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #492 on: August 19, 2008, 03:05:07 am
Delphine's (guys responsible for Flashback) "Future wars"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETHGr3Gv_nk

I just watched this whole thing without stopping. I dont even know wether that's a good thing or not.

Has it's clever moments...but mostly it was just the pixelartist in me that kept me watching...I almost feel like we should have a Delphine mockup frenzy next...ALMOST :p.

does anybody know the limitations of amiga?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:00:56 am by Conceit »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #493 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:40 am
If your culture defines you, you aren't a very interesting person. You're taking part in and identifying with something you had nothing to do with. That's kind of like saying 'we won the gold medal' when you're watching the Olympics on tv

I would happily argue the exact opposite, really.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #494 on: August 19, 2008, 04:26:21 am
As much as I would like to take the libertarian Ayn Rand stance, I have to disagree with you MrMister.  I would agree with you if you were talking genetics.  I have zero interest in "being proud" of my ancestry.  It may occasionally interest me, But I was just born into it, etc.  But your culture is fairly inescapable.  Even a devout counterculturalist is simply defining himself by his born culture.  I don't believe you can ever divorce yourself from the framework of the culture you were raised in.  I don't mean massive generalities either, such as American, New Yorker, White, or things of that nature(even though they are huge factors).  I mean the the subtleties in the way you were raised.  Daniel Quinn defined culture quite succinctly by saying Culture is the way a group of people make a living and the behaviors that stem from that.  This will eventually boil into a nature vs nurture arguement.  Also, I'm not sure if you're seriously posing this question/statement as a legit thought, or if you're being condescending simply to exercise some internet-only sense of superiority. I hope its not the latter and you will extrapolate on your thoughts.
Adam-  you should get your ass out to the lake, dude, dwsing is great!  I can't tell if you lead or followed that roof cause there was a skipped bolt going to the anchors which were already clipped.  If you are learning to lead, or thinking about it, definitely get out over some water with no rope.  It'll really build some confidence and help you learn your limits in terms of fear and, well, ballsyness.  plus its great to whip out into the water on a hot texas day.  The closest to that I've got is in the dacks (small road trip) or Summersville in WV (medium road trip).  One thing I was wondering, I saw your finger board, how come you didn't just buy a hangboard from metolius?  You'll have much more diversity of holds and grips to practice on.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001APVUW6?ie=UTF8&redirect=true
Also, has anyone seen this?  is it a joke?
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=wii&game=castlevania_judgment

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #495 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:15 am
id like to think im an original, like all those dumbasses in the mcdonald's commercial
im really barely influenced by any socially transmitted ideas and they definitely dont make up the bulk of my personality

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #496 on: August 19, 2008, 05:46:36 am
As I recall it was mostly caucasians.  It wasn't saying anything about the specific race, or the concept of race,  just making what I still assert is an accurate statement.    It's not that heavy.

Adam, please see the previous argument (videogames and their role in the world of art) for my reason refrain from such lively debate.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #497 on: August 19, 2008, 06:14:52 am
Also, has anyone seen this?  is it a joke?
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=wii&game=castlevania_judgment
No joke. It's real. Which is a shame, because I'd much prefer a standard Castlevania platformer on my Wii.

id like to think im an original, like all those dumbasses in the mcdonald's commercial
im really barely influenced by any socially transmitted ideas and they definitely dont make up the bulk of my personality
That seems like sort of a naive thought to me. All ideas are culturally transmitted. I'm of the belief that nobody comes up with anything completely on their own, but instead by simply mixing up the ideas and things around them. Just because you can't identify your cultural influences doesn't mean that they don't exist. Any holidays that you celebrate and all of the words that you use are culturally based. The meals you eat and your daily routine are based on culture. Your personality is displayed by your actions. Culture also includes things picked up from friends. Expressions you may use, habits you have, your ideals, and so on. It isn't exactly national culture, but it is culture, and it is exactly the same thing. Nature and nurture are the two things that make up all people, so if it's not in your genes, then you picked it up from somewhere. That somewhere is your cultural surroundings. Culture is simply a word to describe the generalized thoughts, feelings, and actions of a particular group.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #498 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:38 am

Family is in fact the origin of society, and im sure you take some great deal of values from it.
I feel we are all influenced by society in one way or another.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #499 on: August 19, 2008, 06:35:08 am
no i dont take a great deal of values from my family
and my defining qualities aren't that  i like pizza and say 'outasite' a lot

i also disagree with this notion
I'm of the belief that nobody comes up with anything completely on their own, but instead by simply mixing up the ideas and things around them
because nothing  new or good could ever happen this way. things like musical notes or colours aren't transmitted culturally so the juxtaposition of them has nothing to do with rearranging other peoples thoughts

anyway.. ugh.. bland.. convo... that castlevania game looks like a retarded piece of shit and i can't wait to not buy it. fighting games are the mother of prevention. of fun.