AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318546 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #420 on: August 12, 2008, 10:56:10 pm
troll'd by advocatus diaboli

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #421 on: August 13, 2008, 08:12:22 am
What do you mean, Cure?

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #422 on: August 13, 2008, 06:06:36 pm
Probably something along the lines of everyone's disagreeing with each other just for the sake of disagreeing with each other; Everyone's playing the devil's advocate.

To add my two cents to the MrMister rant!:

if we're talking about games being made to make money, then yes, it's harder to consider them art.

Though you must remember that the artists themselves working on these games aren't necessarily making the game art to make money, they're making the game art to make the game art (though they do, of course, get paid). Does that not mean that the game art is art?

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #423 on: August 13, 2008, 07:03:02 pm
Yeah I brought that up but game art is usually not very good.  You might look at a video game sprite or a background and think 'that looks pretty cool' but it's not very artistically viable.

i also think the olympics are terrible and are being held in a terrible country. i think the last time something cool happened in china was the 1400's.
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #424 on: August 13, 2008, 07:10:51 pm
What?!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #425 on: August 13, 2008, 07:21:48 pm
I used to argue that games were art because they contained art. That was silly. Games are more than the sum of their parts, and it is that whole - the game itself, completed and in its entirety, which should be judged as a work of art, not divvied up into pretty graphics, terrible music, glitchy code. Is the game as a whole a beautiful thing? Not "are the graphics pretty?" but "do they serve well and mesh with the rest of the game?" Does the music invoke emotion and capture the atmosphere? Does the game play well?
I think games are art, flat out, no exceptions. However, like other artforms, there is good art, and there is bad art, and there is art that exists to look cool, and there is art that exists to piss people off, and there is art made by the pretentious and the humble. Art made by people who think they know how to make art but have no idea. Art made by people who just do what they feel and end up with awesomenesses*. So, then, do games fall into these categories. The games that alot of people say are not art, like Doom, or some generic FPS or something - to me that sort of stuff falls into the same category as, say, a poster of a ripped muscley guy shooting zombies with a .50 cal rifle at point blank range while clutching on the other side of him a hot chick in a skimpy outfit with giant boobs and flaming cherry crimson lipstick. It's still art. It may even be extremely well executed on a technical level. But it's still only there to look cool. To be as badass as possible with as little logic behind the situation as one can manage. But it's still art.

Er, note that, once again, I didn't read many of the posts in relation to this discussion. I think I'll do that now.

* I can't believe Firefox didn't underline that.

Yeah I brought that up but game art is usually not very good.  You might look at a video game sprite or a background and think 'that looks pretty cool' but it's not very artistically viable.
:huh:

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #426 on: August 13, 2008, 07:22:23 pm
I couldn't agree with you more on this one, helm .... wow

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #427 on: August 13, 2008, 07:51:50 pm
That's what I meant.
We're being trolled by a devil's advocate.  An argument for arguments' sake.  Allow me to present an example.

I don't think pixel art should really be considered art.  It's enjoyable to make and look at, but it really doesn't hold up as art.
I think every sport and every country represented at the olympic games sucks.
I think all forms of theism, deism, atheism, and agnosticism are as dead wrong as science is.

etc.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #428 on: August 13, 2008, 07:59:11 pm
what teh???  :huh: :mean: :-\ :yell: video game art ?? more like fart. :n:
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #429 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:22 pm
I find you really disagreeable mister mister. Seriously.