AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321653 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #350 on: August 09, 2008, 05:24:46 pm
Mmm... I don't thing religion has a lot to do with terrorism. I think a lot of people use religion as a tool or a reason, but I think it's rarely the cause.

If the leaders of some fundamentalist group care about God or not does not matter. The followers do. They act in the name of the God their group represents/believes in.
If the followers thought this is all bullshit they would not give their lives for terrorism.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #351 on: August 09, 2008, 05:28:58 pm
You had a strike in May that was never recorded in the new system.  So I added that in for you, just so you wouldn't be caught off guard.

it was recorded, and then removed by ptoing as 3 months had passed, as per the system.

okay so i guess this wrong place to talk about my views on religion and terrorism etc...

yeah i probably am an ignorant dick, but whatever, i have my beliefs, and shall keep them to myself from now on.

sorry if i offended anyone.

Truth about the strikes. They were well old.

But Feron, this has nothing to do with opinion, but what you did is generalising as well as being insulting. Stuff like that can be held in check.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #352 on: August 09, 2008, 05:30:28 pm
You assume the human race bomb crap because of religion. The human race is so arrogant and full of itself, if it's not bombing for religion, it will be bombing for something else. Wars have been fought since humans were around, and if it wasn't about religion, it was about land, power, ownership, goods... tons of other stuff.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #353 on: August 09, 2008, 05:32:54 pm
Well of course. I am not saying that humans just fight over religion. There is other stupid stuff to fight about. Religion or faith have been reasons for wars and terrorism for ages tho. The ulterior motive behind it, by those who run the shit does not matter. What matters is that they get people to follow them through the means of religion. That's all I am saying.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #354 on: August 09, 2008, 05:44:50 pm
Hmm, my post wasn't actually directed as yours(yours popped in after I posted... guess I should have quoted). It was directed at Feron who said if there was no religion, there would be a lot less bombings.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #355 on: August 09, 2008, 08:28:19 pm
Truth about the strikes. They were well old.

Well in the blacklist it said May 10th :P  Which is less than 3 months from today.  If that's inaccurate my apologies!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #356 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:18 pm
Mmm... I don't thing religion has a lot to do with terrorism. I think a lot of people use religion as a tool or a reason, but I think it's rarely the cause.

If the leaders of some fundamentalist group care about God or not does not matter. The followers do. They act in the name of the God their group represents/believes in.
If the followers thought this is all bullshit they would not give their lives for terrorism.
Exactly. Religion is a tool. Or a means to turn other people into tools. If religion didn't work that way, people would find other ways to produce the same result. If there's something I know, it's that humans never give up. And I mean that in a bad way. If one thing fails, just find the second best thing, out of a million things. And you can't stop all those million things from happening, so you can't stop bad things from happening by preventing or restricting stuff. It all boils down to the people behind it. In this case, the brains who use religion as a weapon.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #357 on: August 09, 2008, 11:32:54 pm
I'd agree to that.  Religions and governments aren't inherently bad, but selfish motives tend to ruin things.  That "I" mentality is what ensures humans will never work together as efficiently as they could because the well-being of the group too often come second to personal gain.  Religions typically take measures against such a problem by promoting sacrifice and the golden rule.  There are still going to be people who pervert a religions intended motive, every now and then reforming it for the better, but more often not.
"for good people to do bad things, it takes religion" shouldn't mean that only bad can come from religion, only that religion is a powerful vehicle.  I prefer "vehicle" to "tool", it sounds less insulting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:34:47 pm by Cure »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #358 on: August 10, 2008, 02:18:21 am
Isn't the reason why we can do nasty sh*t to each other because of "us" vs "them"? "We" are good, "they" are bad, so let loose. Just because you can use Religion to flag a group as being different doesn't make religion bad.

Why do we sometimes co-operate and sometimes go genocidal? A possible explanation could be that there were several variations of "humans" existing and competing at the same time. I got this idea from a documentary which showed the variations ("hobbits", "goliaths", "neanderthals") and speculated that we wiped out those little hobbit fellas.

Don't blame religion. Blame evolution.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #359 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:35 am
You are simply wrong as far as where terrorism happens and by whom.

B.O.B. I wonder what sorta places you frequent where the moment religion is brought up it's best to drop it discretely in fear that someone might get offended.

Hurmm, well considering the fact that 3-4 posts down from my suggestion to just "drop it", a user made a questionable comment and received a strike for it, where as it could have been prevented. True, he made the decision to post that comment, and you couldn't physically stop him or know it from happening, and true, the person giving him a strike may not have been the one offended, but none the less was given the strike for, ironically, an "offensive" comment(which I'm sure Feron didn't TRULY mean, just him probably being annoyed from the many deaths in Iraq...another dead-horse subject left to beat more maggots out of).
   I didn't want to block any one's opinion, or thoughts; just felt someone was going to end up in trouble, as religious subjects tend to end up making things worse, especially by conflicting minds. We're all different, and have different mind sets. Just agree to disagree for now. If anything, I care more about the userbase, and their constructive growth, rather than the religious banter itself. And by bringing subjects up like this(which really aren't that bad), good users and artists will tend to flare their anger and whatnot, possibly causing a higher rate for possible strikes, and hand slaps as tempers flare, and intellectual minds bash. Just wishful thinking, I guess, but it's too late now...

I'm no moderator here, and I apologize if it felt like I was stepping on toes when suggesting it. And yes, I'm American, born and raised, and I REFUSE to believe that it's just U.S.A., whose religions make people uncomfortable to speak about en mass, regarding subjects like this.

In lighter fare, I'm going to see Pineapple Express and hope to laugh...hard. Can't wait for Tropical Thunder to come out as well.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:22:17 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...