AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318513 times)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #310 on: August 08, 2008, 06:51:43 pm
I must say I didn't take kindly to his take on spartan culture and so on.
Thank you.  300 was stupid and the movie was a repetetive pile of cccrrraaappp.  And that asshole director is the guy who thought it neccessary to make a movie out of watchmen.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #311 on: August 08, 2008, 07:24:39 pm
Well it seems like I'm lucky to be alive. Yesterday I was sick and asked my grandmother for Excedrin's for my headache. She gave me two pills that were the same shape and size, and I took them without second thought. Turns out they were Percocet. I don't know how many milligrams they were, but they were pretty large and apparently the most a single pill can have is 600mg, and the human body can only take 1000mg. It was a terrible night, I was sick to my stomach, I had the shakes, I was cold, tired. Apparently, ODing is fatal with this stuff, so I guess I should consider myself lucky. Other effects of ODing is going into coma's, and liver damage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:02:27 pm by Dusty »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #312 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:19 am
Neither athenians nor spartans ever killed messengers because that was high hubris. And the legend of the spartans goes that they threw defective children after birth down the slope of Keadas, which is a completely different issue.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #313 on: August 09, 2008, 03:32:10 am
2 percosets aren't going to kill you.  i've taken 3 and been fine.  Like you said all that happens is you get teh sweats and can't sleep.  You're drowsy and out of it but you can't sleep.  I don't know about the stomach pains.  That might be particular to you.  What extended and prolonged overuse will do is damage your liver.  But so will the acetominophen in tylenol as well as a few shots of gin.  You're not going to OD with this stuff with 1000 mgs unless you are an anorexic chihuahua (are you?) or someone with liver disease or allergies.
And speaking of nonsense, Alan Moore is SO against the film version of Watchmen that he has negotiated to remove his name from that POS Zack Snyders' film and have all royalties go to Dave Gibbons.  I'd like to see Frank Miller show nuts like that over one of his terrible film adaptations. 
Side note:  Wow, Zhang Yimou really put together a spectacle in ol' Beijing, eh? 

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #314 on: August 09, 2008, 03:38:22 am
2 percosets aren't going to kill you.  i've taken 3 and been fine.  Like you said all that happens is you get teh sweats and can't sleep.  You're drowsy and out of it but you can't sleep.  I don't know about the stomach pains.  That might be particular to you.  What extended and prolonged overuse will do is damage your liver.  But so will the acetominophen in tylenol as well as a few shots of gin.  You're not going to OD with this stuff with 1000 mgs unless you are an anorexic chihuahua (are you?) or someone with liver disease or allergies.

I'm pretty damn small(127lbs @ 5'7"). As for the lucky to be alive stuff, it's just what everyone keeps telling me, and what all the sites that document this stuff seem to imply. It's a relief to hear it wasn't as fatal as they made it out to be, but I seemed to have every other symptom they listed on the OD chart except for no breathing/coma/death.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #315 on: August 09, 2008, 03:50:41 am
I will suggest artists to you, and if you would like to know where to start, I can suggest specific comics by them too.

Are you familiar with Chris Ware? I do suggest his work. Also, Burns, Tomine, Clowes for the more existential American indie comic.
You could do worse than read Moebius, Bilal, Pazienza, Manara, Liberatore... so on. There's just a huge range just right there that is inexhaustible.
Alberto Breccia is our lord and master he's done all that the above did, before them, alone, while struggling to feed a family and help a sick wife with the little money he made from his work in Argentina. and he did even MORE. The true master, the unsung genius of the field.
Speaking of genii If you haven't read Will Eisner, you simply must.
Robert Crumb, surely.

Dave Sim went halfway crazy to give to you comics like you never thought there could be.
Paul Chadwick certainly.
Craig P.Russell and Barry W. Smith are my biggest inspirations about the beauty in human forms (perhaps Neal Adams too!).
Geoff Darrow for detail.
Mark Schultz.

I've heard a little about Alberto Breccia but his stuff is extremely hard to find, online or otherwise. I know and love Chris Ware, Moebius, Will Eisner, Crumb, Mark Schultz (though that name took me a google to remember :-[). I like Milo Manara a bit but he seems to have only drawn one woman his entire run, I know it's deliberate but I can't say I care for it. My only experience with Liberatore is a little bit of Ran-Xerox and I can't say I found it all that interesting tbh. Cerebus is so fucking loooooong that I haven't actually begun reading it yet. It seems like an event I would have to plan in advance. :wah: I got some Barry Windsor-Smith on the go right now, if you could recommend some stuff by Adrien Tomine and P. Craig Russell I would love you forever, they seem pretty interesting.

Do you want manga artists too?

Please.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #316 on: August 09, 2008, 04:05:55 am
hmm.  Why personally, I can understand making stuff up to make a better story, I also didn't like 300.  I mean, quite personally, I think authentic history, or getting it as authentic as possible with the info we have, is infinitely more interesting than anything you could make up. 

Again to make demands/ask questions, are there any recommendations for good graphic novels that aren't too hard to find?  I mean, I really don't live near anywhere which I could call a good purveyor of Comics, and the libraries around me don't stock too many things that aren't really 'mainstream'.  I suppose, really, the most notable comics I've read are 1602 and Sin City: Booze, Broads and Blood, again due to being unable to find much of anything.. 

As for comics I'd like to read, again due to lack of knowledge, are Sandman, Ronin, Hard goodbye, and I'm interested in Hellboy, though from the looks of the covers, the art style doesn't really appeal to me.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #317 on: August 09, 2008, 05:59:59 am
No shops near where you live?
Heh, there's a huge shop right at your fingertips, it's called The Internet :p
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #318 on: August 09, 2008, 07:02:48 am
Some fave comic artist of mine that haven't been mentioned yet:

Hugo Pratt
Christin & Mezieres
Gilbert Shelton
Peter Bagge

Doing a historically accurate comic is a very delicate thing. I've seen it happen many times that the story gets buried under a showing-off of accuracy. That probably doesn't happen with movies so much, probably because of the money it takes to do a historical epic, so the producers make sure the story is at least entertaining, accuracy is an added bonus for them. One thing plaguing movies that really pisses me off sometimes is implementing modern values and a mindset into an ancient period, and the hero is of course the most modern thinker of all, rarely even has slaves or anything.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #319 on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:29 am
Yeah I love Hugo Pratt too. :)