AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321574 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #290 on: August 07, 2008, 04:02:41 pm
Awww, so many cute cats. Makes me happy.

JJNaas: Awesome :D You rock!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #291 on: August 07, 2008, 06:14:27 pm
I tend to have 'moments' where I just feel like grinding. They're few and far between, but those are usually the times I play a FF game. Then a week later I don't even want to turn the game on, and this can go on for months.

I think this is true. While I only play RPGS when they've got some kind of interesting gameplay tidbit, generally those still have grinding. I think one's wilingness to submit to grinding is in how familiar one's currently feeling with whatever process they're having you repeat.

I think if you can do it a few times perfectly in a row, they shouldnt ask you to do it any more times, and let you move on to the next "level" or whatever. I think this could also be applied to games  like Noitu Love 2, Gradius 5 and such, I see little point in making the player repeat a stage if he can do it with his eyes closed.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #292 on: August 07, 2008, 07:08:00 pm
Ryona's cat is probably great too but such a small picture!

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. It's supposed to be bigger but it shrunk somehow.  ???
Anyway, here's the same pic. Hopefuly it'll appear in its full size.

And hurrah for all the cat pics! So many fuzzy cuteness! ^_^

And to be honest, I never thought I was a cat-person before I got my cat. Was anyone else here like that?

Oh, and I'm betting, Helm, that your avatar was inspired by your cat Black Thing.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:10:02 pm by Ryona »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #293 on: August 07, 2008, 07:22:32 pm
MEET FRODO! (finally found my only picture of him :( )

God I loved this cat. As a baby (what are baby cats called?) he got stuck in an abandoned apartment next to me, but he was a little badass from the get go...he would scream to stop the whole BUILDING from sleeping.....so I fed him milk and that made him calm down a bit. One day the owner came and let him out.....the apartment was a total mess  :crazy: :lol:

When he came out he was a little thing..like just a bit bigger than my hand but he could still jump up to like my waist....and he'd hang around the neigborhood because his mother apparently abandoned him. I slowly lured him into my room with milk n treats, until one day it was like he recognized I had saved his life and he just became my cat then =). He was with us and he was awesome, my room goes to the neigborhood's ceilings so he'd go in and out...but he'd come to me in an instant if I ever called him  :D (how many cats do that?) He'd also meow like he was trying to talk...I'd argue with my mom and he'd get on my side XD trying to make as much noise as we did.

Then one day he just left =/ he had been weird for about a week.....so I HOPE it's because he went to someone else's house -_- I wish I took more pictures  :'(

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:25:56 pm by Conceit »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #294 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:35 pm
MEET FRODO! (finally found my only picture of him :( )

God I loved this cat. As a baby (what are baby cats called?) he got stuck in an abandoned apartment next to me, but he was a little badass from the get go...he would scream to stop the whole BUILDING from sleeping.....so I fed him milk and that made him calm down a bit. One day the owner came and let him out.....the apartment was a total mess  :crazy: :lol:

When he came out he was a little thing..like just a bit bigger than my hand but he could still jump up to like my waist....and he'd hang around the neigborhood because his mother apparently abandoned him. I slowly lured him into my room with milk n treats, until one day it was like he recognized I had saved his life and he just became my cat then =). He was with us and he was awesome, my room goes to the neigborhood's ceilings so he'd go in and out...but he'd come to me in an instant if I ever called him  :D (how many cats do that?) He'd also meow like he was trying to talk...I'd argue with my mom and he'd get on my side XD trying to make as much noise as we did.

Then one day he just left =/ he had been weird for about a week.....so I HOPE it's because he went to someone else's house -_- I wish I took more pictures  :'(

Why kittens of course!

Here's off topic in the off topic thread. And with that I mean unrelated to cats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAPyQggMOU
It's a song I made in Fruity Loops, inspired by Nobuo's work. I've been working in FL a small while now and I'm really starting to take a liking in it.
I would apreciate if some of you'd listen to it, and maybe even give me a coment or some critisism?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #295 on: August 08, 2008, 12:05:53 am
because his mother apparently abandoned him
That's sad. I've mentioned before my grandmother gets lots of stray cats in her backyard... I should mention there are always new kittens that get abandoned back there. I don't know why, but they do. Always new kittens appearing(in fact, I saw a new one today).

It's always sweet because there is one cat(Hitler, whom I mentioned, who is the mother of my two cats) that always takes them as her own. I never knew cats really fostered orphans or anything like that, but it's amazing how many kittens she has raised regardless of having no blood relation at all. Most kittens don't make it, which is sad, but she still takes care of the ones she can.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #296 on: August 08, 2008, 12:20:16 am
Yeepee, time to ruin someone's ego give constructive comments about a music  ;D
First of all, I'd say you're on a good way and I think that the flaws I hear in this song are the type of flaws that will simply vanish away with practice.
Next good thing is that you captured quite well the Uematsu feel and it pops very quickly as an influence of yours so you can consider this a success.
Now about the flaws : the first problem I hear is the samples' quality which is pretty low. Your brass sound is especially cheap and only the Hammond Organ wasnt too amateur.
About the instrumentation, I'd say that there's one missing layer or something like this. There's nothing between the bass+drum duo and the lead tracks. The overall thing sounds a bit "empty" because of this. The bass-brass duo bit especially suffers from this lack.
Regarding the composition, I think that percussions are your weak point because they sound a bit messy, esp. in the beginning (it gets better at 0'50 though).
On the other hand, the tune is easy to remember so that's a good point for you =)

EDIT : While we're at it...a WIP of mine. CC is very welcome  :P
http://fil.razorback.free.fr/n3.mp3
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:16:59 am by fil_razorback »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #297 on: August 08, 2008, 06:45:58 am
   I just Read The Watchmen. Took me about 3 days. Very fun comic and I can see how it gained so much praise in it's day(I was born in 1986, so I can't compare what was great then to now...so spare me the lectures)

Due to this, I have just ordered Miller's Dark Knight returns, and hope to have another great read in my hands. Any one have any other suggestions, as far as great graphic novels?

I was born in 1985, and I just recently found out about Watchmen and Moore in general, and  I love it. Only thing I can think of that satisfied me nearly as much as Watchmen was Akira. Care to tell me what piece of work makes you look down on Watchmen?

Return of The Dark Knight?...it's good, but Miller never comes close to Moore, IMO Miller always kind of taps on the "badass" character type...gets boring after a while. Still, Dark Knight is quite the read. From what I do (or dont) know  Miller and Moore practically invented the anti-hero.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #298 on: August 08, 2008, 07:05:10 am
Let's not go that far but they certainly kicked the superhero industry a nudge closer to the position to address the more mature concerns of their potential readership. They haven't moved a bit from there since then. I do share your enthusiasm for Watchmen (though not Miller's work) but I wouldn't have much superhero comics to suggest from there. Many non-superhero ones, though.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #299 on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:00 am
Many non-superhero ones, though.
Do tell.