AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318686 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #250 on: August 06, 2008, 04:03:55 pm
if you want a few hints of defeating ozma have a look here:

http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-9/ozma.php

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #251 on: August 06, 2008, 04:06:32 pm
All I really like in the FF games is exploring and the music

If I could play through the games without battling, I'd probably do that.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #252 on: August 06, 2008, 04:10:14 pm
Helm : i believe it's the clearly superior, original design, epic, open-ended storylines, believable, poetic romances, and above all the deep, multi-faceted character development.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #253 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:57 pm
It always appears to me that alot of FF's aren't liked because they're too comercial or something. Same with what I find about alot of music.

That, I think is the lamest excuse not to like something. I for my part am OK with stuff that is commercial, I like stuff like HL2 for example or the Mario games. But FF imo fails, it's all wooo epic story and such, but the stories are SHIT, in all of them.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #254 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:49 pm
Just one day till the large hadron collider is activated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

Here's a website with a huge number of beautiful photographs of the collider:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html
They're extremely inspiring to me in a creative sense even though I have no idea what I'm looking at...

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #255 on: August 06, 2008, 04:40:30 pm
   Ehh, Final Fantasy never piqued my interest. In fact, there was only one RPG game I actually liked alot, and that was Chrono Trigger. The kicker is I never finished it, as I got stuck at one point and said " Screw it, I'm done." I loved the background music for it though. I look at FF and think, "can this be another Chrono Trigger for me?" and soon shut it down, as the design elements of the FF franchise are too much for me. Seriously, let's pack belts and fanny packs on parts of clothes that have absolutely no use for them, and call it fashionable. And of course Androgyny...the FF games gotta' have the androgyny.

I just Read The Watchmen. Took me about 3 days. Very fun comic and I can see how it gained so much praise in it's day(I was born in 1986, so I can't compare what was great then to now...so spare me the lectures). My only problem was towards the end. The way in which the city is taken out, is too far fetched for me. Every thing moved so nicely as the characters display real human emotions, and the costumes don't really overtake their personalities. But the bad guy plot to save the world just kinda' hindered it, and most of the heroes were so damn easy to agree to it. Like an immediate halt to their personalities, and turned them from wolves back to sheep. I don't know, just found that weird. But I guess that's where the whole "Who watches the watchmen?" pathos moves behind the intricate stories in the plot. However, Dr. Manhattan's questionable quarrel of morality of human emotions to a superior god-like being was great food for thought. It's funny to think how important we think we are, when out there, we ARE MEANINGLESS to the mega-giant structures that have formed themselves through out the billions of years. And there's more to boot! That being said, I was also happy with Rorschach's character. Great anti-hero antics.

Due to this, I have just ordered Miller's Dark Knight returns, and hope to have another great read in my hands. Any one have any other suggestions, as far as great graphic novels?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:46:28 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #256 on: August 06, 2008, 04:44:41 pm
It's me again!

My computer's finally back up and running, after MONTHS of brokeness. Turns out all it needed was a new graphics card, a new motherboard, a new processor, new RAM and a new HD to install a new copy of Windows on!

Oh, hay, we're talking about Final Fantasy? I have a couple nickles to throw in about disliking things that are too commercial. Sometimes I feel like I do that. It's not something I'm proud of and I wish I didn't, but sometimes it feels like it. I've noticed, however, that my reason for not being into Final Fantasy is different. Frankly, I've never been into any FF game, and it just feels like, the more games they make, the more meh and samey it all becomes. The first step in the wrong direction, in my opinion, is making a billion games all with the same name... That, along with some othert things, makes it seem like they're intentionally reusing a lot of stuff just to make it easier to make a games and sell them. And it's probably true. If the next FF game doesn't have FF in the title, fewer people will buy it.

But like Ptoing said, exactly every Final Fantasy I've seen anything of seems to try to be as huge and epic as it can possibly make itself out to be. And they end up doing nothing at all to make me interested. Especially when they make it obvious that, yes, it's just another Final Fantasy game, in the long, long row. So it's not so much it being commercial, but it being so damn mass produced, and seeming proud of it... I just don't get that. Maybe it'd change if I actually took the time required to play a few games in the series, but I don't feel I have thousands of hours free to spend on grinding and fighting ridiculously long-winded bosses.

I'd rather play Halo or Zelda, anyway. If I want more epic than that, I'll revisit Chrono Trigger. Doesn't get much more epic than those three combined.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #257 on: August 06, 2008, 04:52:17 pm
I don't think it has to do with being commercial in itself but more with how all aspects of the design of it insult me as a thinking, feeling being.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #258 on: August 06, 2008, 04:57:07 pm
I don't think it has to do with being commercial in itself but more with how all aspects of the design of it insult me as a thinking, feeling being.

agreed.  the worst part is that their other current franchises are even worse about this, particularly anything for the handhelds (with the possible exception of the remake that's coming for the DS, though i'm not holding my breath)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #259 on: August 06, 2008, 05:22:52 pm
Also it is quite disgusting how much they are whoring out the FF franchise with remakes and whatnot.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.