AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318700 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #240 on: August 06, 2008, 01:23:28 pm
'Beat Sephiroth' beaten it? Or 'Beat Ruby and Sapphire Weapon' beaten it?
I mean, except for FFVII's final battle being the most epic of all FF final battles, It's also the easiest really.

Beaten Sephiroth.
I found it to be easy once I did all the subquests, but that was what made it fun for me towards the end. I had Cloud with 4x Slash and Tifa with Mime, and Knights of the Round and all of the Bahamut summons so I could just kick the tar out of anything I encountered without breaking a sweat, it was a very gratifying reward. I beat one of the weapons (the Centaur-looking one) but the underwater guy is frickin' impossible... it'll give me something to strive for, haha.

I should get back into X... I really liked that one, and VIII too. I played VII, but I stopped before I got to Sephiroth for some reason. I don't know why. The optional bosses at the once place on the field in X were insane hard... I still haven't beaten most of them.

I played quite a ways into X but I didn't really like it that much... I think it was a combination of the art direction and the voice acting. I think out of all the FF games, 7 and 9 were my favorites with 12 coming in a distant third place. Of course I've only beaten 7, heheh. I gave up on 8 shortly after the love scene complete with pop music... INNNN SPAAAAAAACE!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #241 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:36 pm
I should get back into X... I really liked that one, and VIII too. I played VII, but I stopped before I got to Sephiroth for some reason. I don't know why. The optional bosses at the once place on the field in X were insane hard... I still haven't beaten most of them.

I played quite a ways into X but I didn't really like it that much... I think it was a combination of the art direction and the voice acting. I think out of all the FF games, 7 and 9 were my favorites with 12 coming in a distant third place. Of course I've only beaten 7, heheh. I gave up on 8 shortly after the love scene complete with pop music... INNNN SPAAAAAAACE!
Heh, have you played X-2? I'm usually pretty tolerable with bad voice-acting and terrible movies... but I couldn't play X-2 simply because all of the damn flowers and rainbows they were throwing around.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #242 on: August 06, 2008, 02:46:32 pm
I played X until I got too fed up with:

Wakka - "I'm a dork, you can tell it by my hair style."
Tidus - "Huh? I dunno, I just play Blitzball."
Yuna - "I'm so spiritual"

And playing Blitzball in itself was sucky. I don't play sports games, and I don't buy RPG games in order to play a sports games.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #243 on: August 06, 2008, 03:07:45 pm
I played quite a bit into X actually, but man that game is rubbish. Also I really do not get the appeal of Final Fantasy anymore. I quite liked 6 on the SNES, but even that. They are ALL the same in essense.

All FF games have SHIT storys, I'd rather read a book. They are rather linear as well for being so big and they take quite long to finish where most of what you do is being engaged in random fights. There is not really much game in them as far as I am concerned.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #244 on: August 06, 2008, 03:16:45 pm
It will always confound me why FF games enjoy widespread appeal.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #245 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:39 pm
Sorry to derail the thread, but I've never played Final Fantasy.

Has anyone else noticed that the Vista recycle bin is really buggy? I mean, I don't think I've gone through a complete day of using my laptop without having to restore the recycle bin icon on my desktop. For some reason, every time I put something in the recycle bin, rather than change the icon to the recycle bin that's full, it just disappears, and all I can see is the text saying "recycle bin."

If I can find a version of Linux that will run on my laptop and be compatible with everything I have, then I'm about ready to switch.

On that note, is there a distro of Linux that's pretty compatible with everything? The only reason I ask is because I know it gets pretty spotty when it comes to laptops, especially wifi and the like. The distro I was looking at was Debian after talking to a few hardcore Linux users, and it seems pretty well-supported, but if you guys have any suggestions, that would be helpful.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #246 on: August 06, 2008, 03:25:03 pm

That's simple I think. If nothing else it's OK escapism.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #247 on: August 06, 2008, 03:46:31 pm

That's simple I think. If nothing else it's OK escapism.

I do believe there's a connection between escapism and grinding. I remember playing Ultima 5 for years, but I didn't play it in order to beat the game, I played it in order to spend time in Britannia, which I preferred to real world at the time, being angsty teenager and all, and grinding, killing enemies for the sake of XP and loot gave me something to do while in Britannia, an excuse to be in that world. Same thing with FF, maybe. It may be be that in FF following an epic story offers more in terms of escapism than grinding, although there's a lot of that as well. (Random encounter fights, what a horrible idea. But servers the purpose in this case.)

I've played WOW a little, not much, but I believe if I were a teenager now, I'd play WOW with the same intensity as I did U5. Mostly for the sake escapism, WOW is really good at that. Never mind that it isn't much of a game in a more strict sense.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:48:38 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #248 on: August 06, 2008, 03:56:15 pm
I tend to have 'moments' where I just feel like grinding. They're few and far between, but those are usually the times I play a FF game. Then a week later I don't even want to turn the game on, and this can go on for months.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #249 on: August 06, 2008, 03:56:58 pm
'Beat Sephiroth' beaten it? Or 'Beat Ruby and Sapphire Weapon' beaten it?
I mean, except for FFVII's final battle being the most epic of all FF final battles, It's also the easiest really.

Beaten Sephiroth.
I found it to be easy once I did all the subquests, but that was what made it fun for me towards the end. I had Cloud with 4x Slash and Tifa with Mime, and Knights of the Round and all of the Bahamut summons so I could just kick the tar out of anything I encountered without breaking a sweat, it was a very gratifying reward. I beat one of the weapons (the Centaur-looking one) but the underwater guy is frickin' impossible... it'll give me something to strive for, haha.

I think IX is my favourite actually. Though I've also enjoyed FFVI alot lately. And FFVII. And well, I enjoy most of em actually. hehe.
I've never beaten Ozma in FFIX, did you ever try him? In the chocobo air garden? That guy is insane. Once his first attack was meteor, and it just killed of my party in one hit.
He's brutaly fast. He often can go 3 turns before you go once, even with auto haste. And it's not like he holds back in those turns either.

Yeah the centaur thing I beat aswell, that's Ultima Weapon. For some reason Ultimate is not the best (Eh?). Ruby and Sapphire are on a whole other level then him. I thought they had a few milion hp too.
There's only a single strategy to em I think. Something with multiplying Knights of the Round or something.

Penance in FFX is alot harder then the beasts on the field. (Taking you're talking about Ultima Buster and so on) It's like comparing an ant to a dragon. Penance has 12 milion hp. And you need to have everyone's Sphere grid entirely full.
Yeah, you got that right. That's ALOT of grinding.

And yeah that voice acting. When Yuna said Tidus should laugh. Man it was so bad I rolled on the floor laughing.
But it didn't bother me that much overall. And I really like FFX's battle system. It's much faster and more dynamic then the normal turn based system.
JJ: You didn't have to play it. Well once, but you weren't required to win it or anything.

It's fun how, if you have omni slash and Ultima Weapon at Sephiroth, you can instantly kill him. Really lame but also quite funny.

It always appears to me that alot of FF's aren't liked because they're too comercial or something. Same with what I find about alot of music.