AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321513 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #130 on: July 20, 2008, 10:10:13 pm
*#*#*#*#(SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT)*#*#*#*##* 

I saw The Dark knight, and it was worth the money in my opinion. Only problem I had with it, is the second half. The first half went along swimmingly, focusing more so on the importance of chaos vs. order. Characters are introduced very nicely, I also might add. Eric Roberts always plays a douche extremely well. I think the story also should have focused more on the Joker, but it started escalating toward the relationship of Wayne, Rachel, and Dent, which brings things to a clutter, though still manageable. Two face's story is always a sad one, though the movie brought it along too quickly. Either way, it was a great movie, and leaves some wondering how well the third and final Batman movie will end, if it has the plot-power to keep viewers interested, as Ledger's passing is a sad one, as one of the most memorable Jokers to date.
   Seriously though, Hollywood, Comics had episodes and series for a reason: KEEP THE VIEWER INTERESTED WITH A PLOT AT A STABLE PACE!!! I feel like most comic book movies pack 10 important story lines into one movie, and it always ends up cluttered, and messy. Wish they would give the fictional characters their rightful time in the spotlight for the respect of the plot. Then again, it's based off a comic book, NOT an exact replica. There's always that excuse.

...Oh, and Bale still thinks he has to talk from his innards when he's in his batman costume. : P

(seriously though, with as much technology as he has, why doesn't Batman just use some voice scrambler/modifier in his batsuit to deepen or change the frequency in his voice, so it's not recognizable. They were smart enough to give him the ability to turn his head...maybe they don't want to hurt Bale's feelings of acting, while trying hard not to laugh...or they'll bring that feature in the final 3rd movie. Then again, it took about 5 Batman movies for costume designers to give actors in the suit the ability to turn their head. Just a thought)

*also saw the Watchmen preview, and methinks people(like myself) who weren't aware of it's literary comic past, will automatically assume it's a rip-off of the other comic to movie transitions by the preview alone. I'll still see it though, cause I'm a dork...and that's how I do.
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #131 on: July 20, 2008, 10:50:48 pm
*also saw the Watchmen preview, and methinks people(like myself) who weren't aware of it's literary comic past, will automatically assume it's a rip-off of the other comic to movie transitions by the preview alone. I'll still see it though, cause I'm a dork...and that's how I do.

It'll be a sad time when people are introduced to Watchmen from inherently inferior adaptations to cinema before they read the comic book. Read it before Hollywood does.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #132 on: July 21, 2008, 01:10:50 am
The Dark Knight is absolutely amazing.
It's hard to talk about without giving away all the good stuff, but I loved it... I could rant and rave but it'd all pretty much be hyperbole. Just see it, and go expecting a mature movie for adults, not a comic book.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #133 on: July 21, 2008, 01:26:03 am
Just see it, and go expecting a mature movie for adults, not a comic book.

Could you explain what you mean in a bit more length?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #134 on: July 21, 2008, 02:27:15 am
I mean, there's no superweapon or evil plan to take over the world, there's no CG-rendered city skylines, there's no action scenes that take place on exploding elevated trains. I didn't mean it as a knock against comics, but I think if someone goes into the movie expecting a typical superhero film they will probably be a little disappointed when they get a crime drama that occasionally waxes philosophical, instead of an action movie. I saw the film as being more about a world where Batman is real, than about Batman himself. Iron Man was the big visceral superhero experience this year - The Dark Knight is a much different beast.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #135 on: July 21, 2008, 05:57:16 am
Heath Ledger gave an absolutely phenomenal performance as the Joker. I did notice flaws in the cinematography, I thought Batman himself was pretty uninteresting (and his growling was very silly), and I didn't like Maggie Gyllenhaul at ALL, but the Joker was so fantastic it was hard to care.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #136 on: July 21, 2008, 02:02:31 pm
I didn't mean it as a knock against comics, but I think if someone goes into the movie expecting a typical superhero film

That's more well-said. Don't expect a typical superhero film. Comics do not have to bear the cross of idiocy any more, I hope you've read many, many comics that have great plots and characterization and artwork.

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #137 on: July 21, 2008, 06:19:51 pm
All this talk makes me want to go see it. I want to see Hancock more though.  ::)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #138 on: July 22, 2008, 12:06:28 am
I personnaly bear the pain and learn to live with it (ie. copy and paste pieces in photoshop in order to zoom in).

I'm posting here because I'm in quest for an old thread of this board which I cant find anymore. I remember that some time ago (no idea how much though), someone posted a beautiful tileset of an icy (or was it rocky ?) pathway. My memories say it had some Seiken Denetsu 3 vibe in it but maybe it just means it was awesome. I remember how the mockup was see here :

gray = background (I think it was plain black)
blue = walls
white = path

I'm not sure there was the extra path on the top, and there may have been a cave entrance instead.

I know this is really really vague but let's hope someone will see what I'm talking about.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #139 on: July 22, 2008, 12:11:36 am
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)