AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321444 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #480 on: August 18, 2008, 04:55:29 pm
I don't like all the ropes and cables of rock climbing. They make me more scared of dying than if I had nothing at all protecting me from impacting solid stone.

That being said, I don't climb anything more than 20 feet without some reasonable sort of escape, such as a deep pool of water.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #481 on: August 18, 2008, 06:24:17 pm
I got this computer at the beginning of the summer for college, and almost ruined it before school started. No more torrents, no more cracks, no more serials. I'm buying my software legit.

sorry evan, but all you really learned was getting your cracks from google always gives you spyruses  :-[ :-X

but if it made you a better person, good for it.

on that topic; i've seen maybe 2 completely safe serial sites in my life.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:26:50 pm by Zolthorg »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #482 on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:24 pm
one eats goats, the other eats buffalo.
Bison.

And I think they quit eating those after we drove them to the brink of extinction.  The bison, that is.  White America would never drive the Native Americans to the brink of extinction...

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #483 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:54 pm
one eats goats, the other eats buffalo.
Bison.

And I think they quit eating those after we drove them to the brink of extinction.  The bison, that is.  White America would never drive the Native Americans to the brink of extinction...

tomato , tomah'to

You say Bison, though all I see is another Steak with 4 legs awaiting to be devoured. Excuse my being blunt, but some days I just have to let my "ignorant American" side show a bit. It makes me human.

Also, no need to slightly hate the white percentage in your genetic make up: Native Americans aren't too excited with what my Mexican people have tried to do with them as well. After all, our ancestors( ya' know, the side with the jaguar warriors, crazy priests, and needless sacrifices) have been feckin' with them before the white man showed up. Except when the "white man" came, he carried with him "boom boom" sticks. And even when our crazy ancestors were intertwined with the supposed well mannered, righteous, religious Spaniards, thus giving the worlds most well known mutts, "The Mexican", we still had the urge to kill and steal from the Natives

Just goes to show, the animal inside of all us will never die, no matter how "civilized", "religious" and "social"we make ourselves out to be.

1. After reading this low leveled, non-factual intellectual's short generalization of the human species, what would one think the following posts will segway into?

A) Argument of Evolution against Creation
   B) Racism throughout the world
   C) Another Religious argument
> D)this post will go ignored

:crazy:
my back hurts...

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #484 on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:59 pm
ha ha, the spanash are funy. think that natives know poo poo about tuggin a man til he shrieks? youre a joker if you disagree :y:
it might be a one shot deal

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #485 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:21 pm
BOBs post being ignored...
Adam- I haven't been to the greenbelt for like 12-13 years.  when I was there like half of it was closed to climbing because of ignorant climbers littering and creating social trails all over the place.  That still the case?  I bet its even more polished now than it was then too.
BOB- I find it interesting that you seperate native olmecs/mayans etc from native americans.  culturally they were different, but weren't they from similar genetic backgrounds?  Also, most mexicans I know (and I lived and worked in mexico) seem to think they are spanish (as in from spain) when in fact, most are a mix of some european blood and mostly indian blood.  The spanish conquerors had the charming idea that if they couldn't beat them down, they could breed into them an identity more spanish than indian. 

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #486 on: August 19, 2008, 12:23:14 am
BOBs post being ignored...
Adam- I haven't been to the greenbelt for like 12-13 years.  when I was there like half of it was closed to climbing because of ignorant climbers littering and creating social trails all over the place.  That still the case?  I bet its even more polished now than it was then too.
BOB- I find it interesting that you seperate native olmecs/mayans etc from native americans.  culturally they were different, but weren't they from similar genetic backgrounds?  Also, most mexicans I know (and I lived and worked in mexico) seem to think they are spanish (as in from spain) when in fact, most are a mix of some european blood and mostly indian blood.  The spanish conquerors had the charming idea that if they couldn't beat them down, they could breed into them an identity more spanish than indian. 

Actually the green belt is awesome now.  Conservation has been a pretty big deal recently, and this group called I think the Central Texas Mountaineers or something to that effect have been taking exceedingly good care of the walls and bolts.  Some of the holds on some of the climbs are still pretty polished, but there's plenty of rough stuff too :D

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #487 on: August 19, 2008, 12:27:11 am
@McStinkus: You are correct, as far as close genetic structure. However, no matter how much we fight it, culture makes us who we are, in the end, as far as generalizations go. And due to that, outskirting Aztec(or was it Mayans?) groups would sometimes send troops out to collect, as far as what is known as the Mexican-American border today, only to war with the Natives of the North American soil. Though I'm sure they never sent many, as they would be spread out too thin, the time they got out that far to Northern American lands. Obviously, North American Natives knew their own lands better.
   And you are also correct in the fact that most Mexicans LIKE to believe we are Spanish, when most probably aren't. I looked up my Mother's surname's brief origin, and found they are mixed from English descent(Euro), and my Father's surname links me to Italy(my dad's father, my abuelo, has blue eyes and is light skinned), but both were born in Mexico. Yet we were raised in a Mexican house, with Mexican values. So again, Culture rules us, not our genetic make up.
   Also, as fate would put it, my father's dad, and my mothers dad both played in the same band; My mother's dad was the trumpet player, and my dad's father was the banjo-ist(is that even a word?). Apparently, the banjo player gets all the girls, as my grandpa was the womanizer in his hay day. They played in several places around the northern part of Mexico. A couple of years later, my father met my mother, and history was made. So who knows, maybe I might be destined for music, as a guitar player or something.

Mexican death metalz, here I come!   :yell:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:39:04 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #488 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41:56 am
think that mexans know poo poo about tuggin a guitar til it shrieks?
it might be a one shot deal

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #489 on: August 19, 2008, 01:12:49 am
BOB, I reread your original post and realized that I essentially was reiterating what you had said.  I agree that culture IS what makes us who we are and is what defines the lines between.  I think maybe what I was trying to express is the historical and prehistorical ironies (when taken in modern context) of cultural identities throughout central and north america.  IE, I find it interesting when people define themselves or others as american indians or mexican indians, when in fact they were at the same time neither mexican nor american nor anything so simple as "indian" but rather a multitude of genetically similar and culturally different people. 
Also, while reading your post I mistook "English decent" for some sort of anthropological stock term before I realized you meant descent which was funny to me.  i don't know why.
Adam- Its a shame that areas need to be policed by a few members of their own to keep people from ruining their own resources (the tragedy of the commons and all) and climbing has always had that problem but access is access.  Have you ever climbed lake travis?  If you like (incredibly cliched terminology coming up) deep water soloing, you can have a blast there, as long as you're careful where you bail off of.