AuthorTopic: My work.  (Read 3054 times)

Offline The Berryster

• Blue Raspberry Fruit Thing
    • View Profile
    • TheBerryster.com

My work.

on: June 19, 2008, 02:54:54 am
Hello, me and Drazzke have been making a game recently, him programming, me making the graphics. I just wanted to post some screenshots and some tilesets and see what you guys think. I made them all in MSPaint, cuz I'm too lazy to download another program. :P Well, here they are:

Screenshot
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/6/18/f_screenshot1m_02a3258.png

Tileset 1

Tileset 2

Constructive Criticism and Suggestions appreciated,

The Berryster

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: My work.

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:23 am
Welcome to the boards!

Would you mind putting together  quick mockup?  with tiles like these, it's not always obvious exactly what each piece is meant for.

what I can tell you without that though is that you demonstrate a good sense of color independence - allowing each shade and hue to create an image rather than relying on outlines and "what you know is there".  You also have a good sense of descriptive patterning.

Where it breaks down slightly is the contours, both in that the edges of some pieces get a bit boring and that things like the cracks or the edges of planks just are jaggy.  they could be AA-ed and smoothed down to be less pixel pixel pixel space pixel.

Hope you enjoy your stay at the hotel pixelation.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The Berryster

• Blue Raspberry Fruit Thing
    • View Profile
    • TheBerryster.com

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:35:57 am
Thanks for the reply. :)

I'll try AAing the cracks in the bricks, (that's what you meant right?) and I might also redo the boxes, 'cuz I don't really like how they are right now.

Would you mind putting together  quick mockup?  with tiles like these, it's not always obvious exactly what each piece is meant for.

Umm... there's a link to the screenshot above... :-\

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:39:25 am

(copying the screenshot here so that i can double-size it :P )

<yoda>Impressed by cave story you have been, heeh ?</yoda> Well, for one thing, i'd say your dirt-to-plain-black transition is too fast. You could use some intermediary tiles such as few rocks sparsely showing on plain black, and you could possibly use them in a way so that they don't exactly follow the ground line to make it more interresting to watch.

Regarding the cracks, you may want to have highlight below the crack and shadow above it (a look at the picture below should make my point obvious). And you may want to re-consider your strings, too. Even in mithrill, i'm unsure they could lift such blocks, and they'll be much more interesting to draw if they're large enough to show rustiness and shining areas.

Finally, if you're to revise your background rocks, they should be more showing where the light comes from. I doodled this after my few hours of Doukutsu, and posted my step-by-step "technique" on my blog :
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:44:07 am by PypeBros »